New My Morning Jacket Album!!!

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/articl...t_id=1003696553

Cannot wait for this!

My Morning Jacket has set a June 10 release date for its as-yet-untitled new ATO album, and will celebrate the project with a June 20 show at New York's Radio City Music Hall.

The group's first appearance at the storied venue will be "an evening with," and is being billed as MMJ's only New York-area appearance for the time being.

As previously reported, for the first time since 2002, the band will be on hand for the South by Southwest festival in Austin, Texas, where it will play a March 13 show at Austin Music Hall. Frontman Jim James will also play a March 15 solo gig at Austin's St. David's Church.

In addition, the band will join indie stalwarts Yo La Tengo for a March 10 SXSW warm-up at Houston's Verizon Wireless Theatre.

MMJ decamped to New York to record the follow-up to 2005's acclaimed "Z," which has sold 206,000 copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

"We're seeing every song to its end before we think about sequencing or which songs belong," guitarist Carl Broemel tells Billboard of sessions with producer/engineer Joe Chiccarelli that wrapped in early December. "We're just starting to be open to how they relate. In general, the record is different in a way I don't even think any of us realized until we started recording."

To prepare, band members spent a month together in a Colorado compound, doing nothing but work on new songs. "That was priceless, because we don't all live in the same city," Broemel says. "We just got together and played."

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey is it just me, or have others been left behind by the band's evolution? I'm fairly recent to MMJ.....really like the first couple of records - At Dawn in particular is a masterpiece IMO. After that they seem to start sounding like every other band. Maybe I need to give some of the others another chance.

*Fingers crossed for a leak

Same here.. I'm really looking forward to this album, although I have kind of gotten out of MMJ lately. I wore out "Z", nearly wore out "It Still Moves", got their live album, and then just haven't really listened to them at all for the last several months.. I hear their earlier stuff is great though.. Anyone have any recommendations on specific early albums?

I am only recently on the MMJ wagon. For a long time I thought all you guys here who gush about them were crazy--all I had heard was "Z", and I agree that I didn't think there was anything too special about it. (I have since come around somewhat on it) But then at some point I picked up "At Dawn", and that one has been one hell of a grower. I keep coming back to it and falling even more in love with it.

it's the best Neil Young album he never released

Not only that, but it might actually be my favorite Neil Young album! :ninja

gonna show some love for tennessee fire.

the reverb on this one almost makes the songs sound like they're coming from far away. beautiful on songs like, "nashville to kentucky," "heartbreaking man," and "they ran." :music

full disclosure: at dawn and okonokos head up the mmj binge listening list.

With MMJ I went backwards. I started with Z, moved back to It Still Moves, and now I'm getting into At Dawn and Tenn Fire. I haven't gotten the chance to really sit down and listen to AD and TF intently several times...yet. As for the two newer albums, Z is one of my favorite albums of this decade. I love it. Diff'rent Strokes I guess.

Is the DVD of Okonokos worth getting?

yes.

yes.

yes.

it's got a little dramatic bookend bit which is a little weedy, but the show is TERRIFIC and gorgeous!

sweet jesus.

:party

this is NOT new music, but it's great fun. mmj @ lolla w/chicago youth symph.

it's a video of gideon edited together from video shot by fans on phones and cameras.

just watched it twice. took me right back to the show.

is it possible to love this band any more? i just don't see how... :banana :guitar :love

:party

this is NOT new music, but it's great fun. mmj @ lolla w/chicago youth symph.

it's a video of gideon edited together from video shot by fans on phones and cameras.

just watched it twice. took me right back to the show.

is it possible to love this band any more? i just don't see how... :banana :guitar :love

I'm thinking about scalping a ticket to the Radio City show in June and visiting some friends in NYC. I imagine this would set me back a few $.