New My Morning Jacket Album!!!

I'm addicted to "Sec Walkin."

That one - Thank You Too, Librarian (although I hate most anything to do with that word), and Look at You. I don't know what to think about the rest - it's an MMJ album, quite songs, noisy songs, experimental songs - ain't it?

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That one - Thank You Too, Librarian (although I hate most anything to do with that word), and Look at You. I don't know what to think about the rest - it's an MMJ album, quite songs, noisy songs, experimental songs - ain't it?

The first few songs remind me of Prince, or something.

I've had more time with it (and I need to hear it at least 3 more before I know) and I think it's a mixed bag. I think the title track is fairly on cue with their 'new direction' and does so in an excellent way. 'Highly Suspicious' is a total throwaway. Some of the ballads don't seem like a step forward at all, which is fine, but they don't hit me as strong as the older ones. He also started employing a singing voice that is much more Dylan Nashville Skyline era, which is weird, because I already thought James had that tendency. Now it's just more.

The closing track seems really interesting until it settles into a groove and then the disco drums seem so cheap and uninteresting it's hard to spend the eight minutes the track boasts.

"Aluminum Park" is also pretty good. I don't know, it seems really uneven. Not quite an 'album' in the tradional sense of a big picture flow. Again I need more time, I will probably change my mind. Except that disco groove one the end will always suck.....leave that to the Arcade Fire.

"New Direction"??????????????

Jim's had this sound since day one. The early recordings going back to his teen years have every bit of 80's written all over it. (Take My Breath Away)(West End Girls)...ect.

This is just a long going love for the music, he, we grew up with. Those of you who haven't followed his whole catalouge, live cover's, and take on music just won't get it. Start to finish it kills Z, and I'm going out on a limb but I think it's one of the best albums of the decade.

Jim's biggest musical influence was The Muppet Show for christ's sake.

yeah... i don't buy this "new direction" thing either... Z was more "experimental" on the whole than this record is.

certainly compared to It Still Moves before it as well.

:thumbup Exactly, I couldn't agree more..........pin point!

I love the fact that you do know your shit and your still on the fence. I respect that.

haha, my first play of the record, for whatever reason, started on Highly Suspicious, and I was really like "WTF"? and once I realized it wasn't the opening track I thought better of the album.

....seriousy though, that's a terrible song.

Why don't you chime in on the Dead Thread and make fun of hippies. Wait, MMJ is a jam band now, I forgot........ carry on.

Jim's had this sound since day one. The early recordings going back to his teen years have every bit of 80's written all over it. (Take My Breath Away)(West End Girls)...ect.

This is just a long going love for the music, he, we grew up with. Those of you who haven't followed his whole catalouge, live cover's, and take on music just won't get it. Start to finish it kills Z, and I'm going out on a limb but I think it's one of the best albums of the decade.

This is where we conceed that what we are arguing is so subjective that argument is a little funny.......and then continue anyways because we like talking about the band-

1) I've heard all the re-released demos etc. and they have never done anything quite like "Highly Suspcious"

2) Any argument that demands hearing obscure parts of an artists catalog to appreciate a new LP is 'highly suspicious'.

3) Even if you're sold on all of the songwriting on Evil Urges, do you really think it has as solid of a unity and flow as Z or It Still Moves?

4) The Muppet Show rules (maybe thats why Jim seems like he is a muppet)

This is where we conceed that what we are arguing is so subjective that argument is a little funny.......and then continue anyways because we like talking about the band- :worship

1) I've heard all the re-released demos etc. and they have never done anything quite like "Highly Suspcious" :dj true

2) Any argument that demands hearing obscure parts of an artists catalog to appreciate a new LP is 'highly suspicious'. :headbonk do not agree

3) Even if you're sold on all of the songwriting on Evil Urges, do you really think it has as solid of a unity and flow as Z or It Still Moves? :devil for sure, it's evil

4) The Muppet Show rules (maybe thats why Jim seems like he is a muppet) :frog

It's all fun and games till some one gets epoked in the eye. And I drive a big truck to compinsate for a small penis.

It's for sure funny, I'm not getting paid to write this shit, and if I was no one would buy it.

On another note, say take the band Ween, which is one of my all time favorite bands. Not many people get them and see them as some novilty band, I see a song like Baby Bitch and can relate to that the same exact way as say Jim's Golden or Tweedy's Please Tell My Brother. I don't get half of what Jeff is talking about in most of their music. And take Andrew Bird, the man writes in palindromes that I can't or will never even grasp at any point of my life. I am a folkie at heart, but hold and cherish bands like The Cure and Depeche Mode with all my heart. I just think it's great that MMJ is at a point where they can pull this off now. I would of loved this in any decade of music starting from the 80's to present. The fact that their is such debate is a great thing, look at Sky Blue Sky................it's still getting shit on, but why oh why is it harder to get a ticket to their shows? A turn off for me is a band that stays in the safe zone their whole carrer. I'm glad musician's and bands are still taking chances and making music they wan't to make. We could go into the whole industry thing but all of us here are beyond that. Any press is good press!

Have fun with the cd, dance your ass off or have a nice fetch with your dog! Either way it was free and very nice to see this leak, as I will be purchashing it!

Z doesn't have that great of flow.... so yes

Yeah, I agree it comes out a blazin' then drops off. They totally f'd up the track listing on that one.

Interesting.........

I guess that's true about Z it does kind of lose its thread. Maybe those guys just have a different sense of symmetry.

Oceanman-your love for Ween puts your love for Evil Urges in a new light. I get why you get it.

The other thing I love is that we still have bands that are important enough to so many people that any new release causes such passionate conversation. That's why I feel extra impatient for the follow up to SBS.

I agree with in that the direction is not unexpected. The sound isn't unexpected. Its just really poorly done.

I've never found James to be the greatest of lyricists but some of this is just pitiful, if anything its helped my self confidence, so often do i throw stuff out thinking its garbage, this album feels like james has never used an eraser. I hear the influences of a.m. radio, of the 80's music, of prince, of soul music, etc. its just not incorporated well.

I will say I do like Evil Urges, and I'm Amazed, I was also digging the librarian but by the end he lost me.

I'm not going to say I hate the record, I'll give it a few more listens before I give a verdict.