New My Morning Jacket Album!!!

Shit, I'm still feeling after shocks from YHF.

Right on the money. Since this "interweb" business it seems like records come out, people review them after two or three listens, then they digest another like its a carton of milk. Every time I listen to Yankee I find something new about it I like (and i've listened to the album a few hundred times). Since the access to new music has become so much easier it seems much more disposable.

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only listened to the record once, but first impressions on hearing "Highly Suspicious" were as follows: 1) you've got to be crappin' me. 2) I wonder if their fans are so die-hard that they'll cheer for this if they dare play it live.

Atrocious.

UNLESS: it's a joke that's only on the advance copies -- in which case I'll hail it as genius.

I've only listened to the record once, but first impressions on hearing "Highly Suspicious" were as follows: 1) you've got to be crappin' me. 2) I wonder if their fans are so die-hard that they'll cheer for this if they dare play it live.

Atrocious.

UNLESS: it's a joke that's only on the advance copies -- in which case I'll hail it as genius.

they've already played Highly Suspicious a handful of times live...

Yeah, and there's at least one great YouTube vid out there that shows Jim vamping the HELL out of it, his back to the audience and his face scrunched up, digging into the lyrics/singing. It's laugh out loud hilarious, in my opinion.

I think a LOT of people are taking Highly Suspicious way too seriously. No way is it in the same stratosphere of awfulness as Into the Woods (and I may get stoned for saying this, but there are draggy, overlong songs on At Dawn that I like even less than it), and if you've been spinning the record regularly this week like I've been, then I'll call you a liar to your face if you try to tell me that its staccato beat hasn't gotten stuck in your head at least once...

I think a LOT of people are taking Highly Suspicious way too seriously. No way is it in the same stratosphere of awfulness as Into the Woods (and I may get stoned for saying this, but there are draggy, overlong songs on At Dawn that I like even less than it), and if you've been spinning the record regularly this week like I've been, then I'll call you a liar to your face if you try to tell me that its staccato beat hasn't gotten stuck in your head at least once...

:thumbup right on

Into the woods is one of my fav's now. I hated that mother fucker for ever and one day it came to me the genius of it all. I'm not going to push it, but don't leave that one out of the playlist for good. After coming home tonight I lisened to Highly Suspicious and thought to myself that there could only be one reason why I like this.........................into the woods! :yay I bet playing these tunes are a blast for these dudes.

And people take music in general way too serious these days. Lets face it, we are all dorks here talking about music we didn't create and placing our opinions on them. But it's also cool in the way of alot of us do have great taste in music and know our shit , and I would rather hear it from you than some critic who isin't even knowledgeable on it's genre or likes of, or had'n't put his or hers own music out there for people to shit on.

Into the woods is one of my fav's now. I hated that mother fucker for ever and one day it came to me the genius of it all. I'm not going to push it, but don't leave that one out of the playlist for good.

Oh, I don't skip tracks as a rule. I won't even own an iPod...

I do think the song is pretty bad, but that said, there's something there that prevents me from writing it off completely. The refrain is really interesting, and the sheer bombast is, um, something. Heh. The whole thing is like some psychotic carnivalesque... it reminds me of the following page of art whenever I hear it. Heh.

http://batman.ugo.com/images/galleries/bat...llingjoke_6.jpg

As a standalone Highly Suspicious isn't so bad. It's a really fun and original song. But it's (seeming) insincerity kind of mucks up the flow of the album.

I can see that. When you compare it to a sweet little number like "Look at You", it's going to sound a bit, well, goofy.

The thing is, I think Jim is completely sincere with "Highly Suspicious". It's a celebration of the 80s, IMO.

why all the hate for Into The Woods? I don't see how these tracks are remotely a like.

They are alike in the fact that they both suck and the albums would be better without those tracks on them.

hmmmm I don't see how Into The Woods sucks I guess, is it the sound effects at the beginning? Other then the sfx there isn't really anything more silly then "Iw was wanting some ice cream".

Where as Highly Suspious sounds like Prince and Mettilica.

why all the hate for Into The Woods? I don't see how these tracks are remotely a like.

where do i begin...

the terrible circus backing music?

the absolutely HORRENDOUS, and i do mean HORRENDOUS lyrics?

A kitten on fire.

A baby in a blender.

Both sound as sweet as a night of surrender.

I know it ain't easy, but you do what you can. If your livin gets weezy, you can follow this plan:

put in more than you could ever get out.

I'm tired of the talking, I know what you're about.

Now open your mouth, here comes the spoon. You're gonna eat what I give ya,

and you're gonna like it real good.

1. A riddle: I went over the river, and into the woods, where did I go?

Where a wood buring stream flows up thru the trees,

like the soul of the hottest kind of lover I've ever seen: "e"

One who lives to choose another fool's dream.

A good showerhead and my right hand, the two best lovers that I ever had.

Now if you find you agree with what I just said, you'd better find a new love

and let 'em into your head

it's easily the worst song Jim James has ever written, that i'm quite certain about, and was the one pock mark on an otherwise great record.

where do i begin...

the terrible circus backing music?

the absolutely HORRENDOUS, and i do mean HORRENDOUS lyrics?

it's easily the worst song Jim James has ever written, that i'm quite certain about, and was the one pock mark on an otherwise great record.

I mean at least that flows, and in my opinion the music and melody are good. Those lyrics are not nearly as clunky as some of the stuff on evil urges and its just as silly as "you really brought out the naked part".

you're taking that line out of context:

"oh, you really saw my naked heart, you really brought out the naked part"

i think that's a pretty cool line actually. nowhere near as "silly" as a kitten on fire or a baby in a blender...

look, Jim's never been the greatest lyric writer ever, we can all admit that. he's got a really odd/warped sense of humor that carries over into his songwriting (for better or worse), so to get all up in arms over poor lyrics now just tells me you haven't paid much attention to his lyrics in the past (there's some AWFUL lyrics on TN Fire & It Still Moves too)

i think you're being a bit prematurely harsh on this record and will be surprised at the reception it gets. i'll admit the first 3 songs should be scattered elsewhere through the album, but tracks 4-12 are all just killer and the album is another great addition to their fantastic catalog.

you're taking that line out of context:

"oh, you really saw my naked heart, you really brought out the naked part"

i think that's a pretty cool line actually. nowhere near as "silly" as a kitten on fire or a baby in a blender...

look, Jim's never been the greatest lyric writer ever, we can all admit that. he's got a really odd/warped sense of humor that carries over into his songwriting (for better or worse), so to get all up in arms over poor lyrics now just tells me you haven't paid much attention to his lyrics in the past (there's some AWFUL lyrics on TN Fire & It Still Moves too)

i think you're being a bit prematurely harsh on this record and will be surprised at the reception it gets. i'll admit the first 3 songs should be scattered elsewhere through the album, but tracks 4-12 are all just killer and the album is another great addition to their fantastic catalog.

Jim is incredibly silly, I'm not denying that. I just feel that the silliness overweighs the seriousness of this record. You could say I being prematurely harsh on this record, everyones opinions good or bad are premature on this record, nobody even has a good copy yet (unless there was another leak). Thats why I said i'm going to reserve my final judgements for another week or so.

I think the record is going to do really well for them. i won't be surprised if it is well received. I've just stated that its not blowing me away or demanding it be listened to like their earlier records. One of my biggest beefs with the record being the background vocals which really set it apart from the other releases more so then any of the stylistic changes.

What are you thoughts on the back up vocals?

oh it's not blowing me away either, but the last album of theirs to do that was At Dawn, so ;)

i still love the last 3 records, regardless tho and am spinning the hell out of EU, more than expected actually

for me it's hard to be blown away by a record of a band i'm already very very familiar with these days, it seems like the stuff that really gets me going and excited is usually new to me (not always the case).

as for the backup vocals... depends on the song, some are ok, some are completely awful (Highly Suspicious obvs)

and yes there was a better ripped copy posted the other day (but honestly the 128 m4a didn't sound that far off the actual disc)

Oh, I don't skip tracks as a rule. I won't even own an iPod...

Wow, your a better man that I! :worship

Like a bad LSD trip on a carnival ride.

for me it's hard to be blown away by a record of a band i'm already very very familiar with these days, it seems like the stuff that really gets me going and excited is usually new to me (not always the case).

In most cases I'd say I have a similar experience, although I was really impressed by the new Radiohead album.

Like a bad LSD trip on a carnival ride.

And to that I say why not?

For sure! MMJ is all I'm listening to this week, no foolin'. I listened to At Dawn and Z the other day, and right now I prefer EU to both of those records. Even though it has most of their best songs, the tracklisting for At Dawn has always fucked with me; it rocks out, pulls back for 12 minutes and two dirgelike songs, rocks out again, pulls back, etc. I really have to be in the right mood for that disc.

Yeah, and there's at least one great YouTube vid out there that shows Jim vamping the HELL out of it, his back to the audience and his face scrunched up, digging into the lyrics/singing. It's laugh out loud hilarious, in my opinion.

I love "Into the Woods". "a kitten on fire/a baby in a blender" is a better lyric than 75% of the crap on this new one. Plus, it wasn't, you know, influenced by Christopher Cross.