New My Morning Jacket Album!!!

!!there are still tix avail at ticketmaster!!

i JUST got one a few days ago. a single in the 15th row. keep trying!!

nothing available at the moment, but I'll keep trying. thanks.

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you coming to NYC ?

I will be at the show

SUMMIT!

so far i have a ticket to the show. THAT is the important part. i may have an airline credit by that time, too, so airfare taken care of!

drew, this is kind of momentous. :cheers

there is a mass meeting of all the peeps from the mmj forum brewing, but i def. want to get some quality time in with you! (again: :cheers ) that is one of the only perks about res. seat shows: one can be social beforehand rather than camping out on line for hours. :pirate

I will be at the Radio City Show. Wouldn't miss it for the world. I've seen MMJ about 5 times now and they do not disappoint at all. I can't even imagine seeing them at that venue, with the acoustics of that building no less. This is going to be a religious experience.

"Z" is a great album, flows so well. Much like SBS, I loved how "Z" opened up with wordless chorus... "so much, going on these days...", and with "maybe the sun will shine today..." from SBS. Just 2 albums that are pieced together extremely well. MMJ is one of the answers to what quintessential rock music is about. Power guitar, meandering solos and absolutely fucking thunderous anthems. Not to mention Jim James has one of the most amazing voices in rock. Okonokos, as someone mentioned earlier, captured the band in their moment amazingly well.

I would say "It Still Moves" is their best cd but Tennessee Fire isn't too far off. But I think they all depend on preference, "At Dawn" is equally as amazing in some aspects. MMJ is alot like Wilco in the sense where you are like "wow, this band just doesn't have a bad song". You can always find your way into loving each song in a different way.

It Still Moves is filled with song after song. "Steam Engine" is one of the most beautiful songs ever written. "One Big Holiday" might be one of the greatest rock n roll songs of a new generation.

Wilco in Philly, then 930 in DC

MMJ on June 20th.

This is already shaping up to be a great 2008!!!

On that note, evil urges. Cannot wait!

I think this band is OK but for some reason the abbreviation "MMJ" is really jarring / annoying to me.

Note to self: never start a band with a three-word name or someone will make it into an irritating acronym in under 30 seconds.

MMJ is not an acronym.

I think this band is OK but for some reason the abbreviation "MMJ" is really jarring / annoying to me.

Note to self: never start a band with a three-word name or someone will make it into an irritating acronym in under 30 seconds.

Well, the reason they're called My Morning Jacket is that Jim James found a robe or coat of some sort that had the letters MMJ on it. He then came up with My Morning Jacket. I think its perfectly ok to abbreviate My Morning Jacket to MMJ.

I've heard that the new album has a Gospel type sound to it.

I'm let down they choose to kick off the album in NYC. Why not throw a bone to their hometown?

they're kicking off in houston in march. then hitting sxsw, coachella and nyc.

dude, louisville WILL get some love. don'tchewworry. :cheers

thanks to a heads up from Ms Y :wub I've got two tix 2nd row balcony in Houston (I usually like to go back and forth between the downstairs GA crowd and the balcony at this venue--it's a complicated beer/peeing/tune selection formula)

thanks to a heads up from Ms Y :wub I've got two tix 2nd row balcony in Houston (I usually like to go back and forth between the downstairs GA crowd and the balcony at this venue--it's a complicated beer/peeing/tune selection formula)

Oh man!

• 1 month later...
My Morning Jacket Unveils New Album Track List

My Morning Jacket

March 07, 2008, 1:40 PM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

My Morning Jacket throws fans another sonic curveball on its new studio album, "Evil Urges," due June 10 via ATO. The 14-track set sports the most adventurous music of the Kentucky-bred rock act's career, beginning with the title track, a falsetto-driven groove-fest that opens the disc.

MMJ is uncharted territory with songs like "Highly Suspicious," whose robotic funk beats and falsetto singing wouldn't sound out of place on a Rick James or Prince album.

Strident rockers like "Touch Me I'm Going To Scream Part 1" boast unusual touches, from fluttering synth lines and multi-tracked vocal parts to chopped-up beats and electro effects on the bass and guitars. Appearing near the end of the disc, "Part 2" of the track is an eight-minute-plus mash-up of disco drumming and grandiose production unlike MMJ has ever attempted.

Elsewhere, "Thank You Too" conjures a lost soft rock classic from the '70s, as frontman Jim James tenderly croons, "You really saw my naked heart / you really brought out the naked part."

James and his acoustic guitar are also at the forefront of "Librarian," while "Remnants" and "Aluminum Park" will satisfy fans of MMJ's straight-ahead, double-guitar attack.

The group is expected to unveil new material during shows next week in Houston and Austin, Texas, the latter one of the most anticipated sets at the South by Southwest festival.

Here is the track list for "Evil Urges":

"Evil Urges

"Touch Me I'm Going To Scream Part 1"

"Highly Suspicious"

"I'm Amazed"

"Thank You Too"

"Sec Walkin'"

"Two Halves"

"Librarian"

"Look At You"

"Aluminum Park"

"Remnants"

"Smokin From Shootin"

"Touch Me I'm Going To Scream Part 2"

"Good Intentions"

Excellent news all around. Where the ^%^%**& are all of those tour dates?

Have a great show Houstonians and MS Y!

i'm sitting in a cool bar/coffee house in houston listening to okonokos on the headphones, drinking wine and knitting. having a hard time not just head banging and whooping out loud. i do have a ridiculous grin.

also: wine + knitting = comedy

drew--it's the "falsetto" note that really has me excited. this band nails r & b stuff, and jim is a killer with the falsetto.

boyohboyohboy! :dancing :dancing

the most adventurous music of the Kentucky-bred rock act's career, beginning with the title track, a falsetto-driven groove-fest that opens the disc.

Cool...I'm hoping that's a nod to Phone Went West, my favorite MMJ tune.