New My Morning Jacket Album!!!

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from a huge and long-time MMJ fan: i am disappointed. i tend to agree with the Pitchfork and PopMatters reviews over the glowing ones from other publications.

it's syrupy and lazy for the most part. the lyrics are dumb...and honestly, despite what anyone says, i like MMJ's lyrics. at least there used to be an element of mystery to them. "Peanut Butter Pudding Surprise"? please Mr. James, spare me...

and the reviews that are calling this their YHF or Kid A???

tracks that i am fond of: "Smokin' From Shootin'," "Touch Me I'm Going To Scream, Part 2," "I'm Amazed," Thank You Too!"

songs that are servicable: "Evil Urges," "Touch Me I'm Going To Scream, Part 1," "Librarian," "Sec Walkin'"

songs that are embarassing to the band: "Highly Suspicious," "Two Halves"

-justin

-justin

I thought this was a pretty entertaining review of the album (from a music blog called Radio Cure):

Part I; Totally 80's

1. "Evil Urges" - as aforementioned, I initially was wondering what the heck this song was. I personally would NOT have chosen it as the first song, but I guess for shock value they wanted to. After about two or three listens, I got it. Albeit, it is not the MMJ of old, but I'm open to change. I feel like it is what "I Turn My Camera On" is to Spoon - sort of a new frontier. The song evokes Prince set to great beats. What drives me nuts is to think what the song would have sounded like sans falsetto. I really can't imagine. I do love the robo solo towards the end.

2. "Touch Me I'm Going to Scream Part 1." Oh the irony. As if you thought the first song was some sick joke upon first listen, then comes another tune that sounds NOTHING like MMJ or Jim James. I honestly thought I was going to scream at this point. Now, now be patient. This one takes time as well. I now dig it. Almost like a My Bloody Valentine track or the Flaming Lips "The W.A.N.D." Standby for TMIGTS Part 2.

3. Then, Jim James farted and created "Highly Suspicious." This is not a grower. It just sucks. He is whining and laughing like a baby or maybe a pedophile. Kind of creepy. Sounds like a bad 80's tune.

I like the call this Part II, the shocking 70's.

4. "I'm Amazed" - At this point, I was excited to hear a song that sounded somewhat like MMJ. The song echoes the sounds of an old 70's classic rock tune. See "Sweet Emotion" by Aerosmith. I dig.

5. "Thank You Too" This tune is a bit cheesy but I like it nonetheless. Little 70's to it, Dad rock, but like I said I'm in.

6. "Sec Walking" Dad rock again at its finest. Sounds just like the BeeGees. Again, I like it though.

7. "Two Halves" Again, Dad rock. Where did Jim get this new nasal, gooey voice. Not sure. Not a bad tune though.

8. "Librarian" Hmm, a song about a sexy Librarian couldn't be good. Actually, its not bad. Again, he has this nasal cushy thing going. Strange. Maybe by now I am brain-washed, but I like it. Kind of has an eery feel until you listen to the lyrics.

9. "Look at You" Has a little steel guitar that glistens it but, for the most part, boring.

Part 3. "Wait a minute He's back" Where Jim finally hits his stride.

10. "Aluminum Park" Arguably the best track on the album. It a no-brainer. Starts off with a raw, distorted guitar. I mean, is this the same album. This is standard old school rocking Jacket.

11. "Remnants" Why stop now let's keep breaking guitar strings? Almost has an Alice Cooper guitar driving the song. This is heavy stuff.

12. "Smokin from Shootin" Jim slows it down for a good old MMJ ballad. Top three tune. I love the machine gun drums when he says "Smokin from Shootin." I will still say he sounds so different like almost nasal. Love it, Love it though. Great crescendo. Should be amazing live.

13. "Touch Me I'm Going to Scream Part 2" This is the direction I thought they were headed. What a song. Omnichord blasting, Jim howling. He honestly sounds like the Jim of old here. Just when you think it is over at 4:56 a nasty guitar lick shoves itself in and abrupts the monotony, LOVE IT. Then, the dang album is over. Ahh. Might as well put this one on repeat. Another song of the album contender.

14. "Good Intentions" This one should be after "Highly Suspicious" because the noise in the 5 seconds is how I feel after hearing it.

All in all a pretty good album. Definitely, catches you off guard. Honestly, I hope the band does not break up over this album. I really just can't see everyone being like "Cool!! this thing is a masterpiece." Again, at first listen, this thing is atrocious, but it soon finds its way into you. Hey, if you don't like it, you always have the new Unplugged My Morning Jacket album called Fleet Foxes., which by the way, is a great album. (if you're confused, it's okay, it was a joke. There is an awesome band that sounds a ton like MMJ called Fleet Foxes.)

oh man i'm really not feeling most of this album after the first handful of listens. i've never had this problem with mmj before. i'll have to wait and see how things stack up live with the new tunes.

i'd say EU is more like the 4.7 Pfork gave it (maybe a 5 or 6) and the Fleet Foxes is right on the 9.0 they gave that one...

-justin

the only 9 i've heard this year is probably The Tallest Man on Earth

Posted this on another site:

http://www.metacritic.com/music/artists/my...acket/evilurges

Metacritic score is 74 right now with 18 reviews in. General rule of thumb on this site is that the score usually comes down as more reviews come in. If you look at all of the recent scores on the left for other bands, this is a very average score at best. For comparison, other MMJ releases on this site were as follows:

It Still Moves - 83

Z - 90

Okonokos - 80

You can't argue with the data, people aren't feeling as much love for this album. :ohwell

Metacritic score is 74 right now with 18 reviews in. General rule of thumb on this site is that the score usually comes down as more reviews come in. If you look at all of the recent scores on the left for other bands, this is a very average score at best. For comparison, other MMJ releases on this site were as follows:

It Still Moves - 83

Z - 90

Okonokos - 80

You can't argue with the data, people aren't feeling as much love for this album. :ohwell

I love metacritic and generally recognize that anything in the 60's and 70's is totally average to the mainstream, but will probably still please the diehard fans of the band in question. Anything above an 80 should probably be heard by large masses of people.

And with the exception of a few tunes on Evil Urges, I'm inclined to say that rating system is right on.

yeah, that'd been rumored for the last few months now on the MMJ boards

very cool!

i may try and get good seats at least, and if i can swing it, do it, but guessing prolly won't be able to afford it

It Still Moves - 83

Z - 90

Okonokos - 80

Oh well, still my favorite album of 2008