New My Morning Jacket Album!!!

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm surprised that people actually paid attention to MMJ's lyrics that much in the past...

i've always found Jim's lyrics fairly hokey save for a few exceptions (I Will Be There When You Die, Bermuda Highway, etc.)

taking jim's lyrics out of context of the music is like taking bryan ferry's lyrics out of context.

it's just weird to contemplate them on their own. they are part of the whole.

look at: they ran. i LOVE this song. as a whole. or run thru. alone, the lyrics don't amount to much (ready to receive a pie in the face for that one :monkey ), but with the music, these songs are terrific.

that said, the lyrics to several mmj songs move me. nashville to kentucky, steam engine, wordless, dondante all come to mind.

fun fact: while i've been sitting at my desk, the phrase "brother...brother dont you care" has been playing in my head. :music

not to be totally obvious, but "Aluminum Park" is by far me favorite on EU, followed by "I'm Amazed." AP is so instantly catchy I feel certain that it's a song I've known my whole life. It's just stupid how simple, yet how effective that song is. I've tried about 5 times now and I'm not sure I'll ever listen to the side one of the vinyl all the way through ever again. The funny thing is I really like their cover of "West End Girls," which is probably the earliest indicator they ever gave of the likes of these first three songs. Who's gonna do NYE at MSG? I feel certain it'll be a show for the ages.

i've only been able to hear the new album via their myspace page while away at work, but it's pretty good. a few clunkers and a few great ones. i'll probably listen to it more than tennessee fire or okonos.

i'm hoping my copy of at dawn on vinyl lp is waiting for me when i get home, i've been notified it has shipped from music direct.

and aren't they gonna have to find some other bands to play that nye gig with them? the sleater kinney, lips, wilco show was only half full.

and aren't they gonna have to find some other bands to play that nye gig with them? the sleater kinney, lips, wilco show was only half full.

prince.jpg

Jim can write his ass off in my opinion. Listening to the SXSW solo show confirmed it for me. Hearing the newer material in all of it's nakedness really got to me in a good way. Even songs like Gideon and Wonderfull Man turned out to be my favs. I love them as rockers and had no idea that as slow jams this could be pulled off. The fact that he doesn't try too hard to please or give way to the ear is a defeat in and of itself. The dude can can write. The fact that you can't put your finger on it is what I'm saying. This past month I did my first recording with a buddy of mine and he pulled out the upright bass and bowed it. This was only track three of eight and at first it was a scratch track. After the next few tracks we realized that we really couldn't hear it so we hit mute and the song was lacking what we built up to. Without it the song doesn't work, but you can't really hear it. I soon learned that less is more and feeling comes from blended layers of sounds that souround the lryics. Later on my friend turns to me and says, man, you really have some great lines in that song. Well, thanks, but we have been playing that tune for over a year now, but thanks.

NYE ! Maybe

You and all your concert bastardness! Man you get to see some cool shit. I think I'm heading down that road like yourself, that really put thought into what shows at what expence are really worth seeing. Hometown shows, sur I'll go see who ever, but in my old age with school and family I think I 'm going to reconsider what is really important, quanity or quality? Easy answer. I wish these solo shows and gems were anounced sooner, atleast a heads up. I can't stay on top of things like I use to. Let me know in advance, a slap upside the head........dude, you know this worth it....prioritizes muther fucker. Meaning myself.

Jim can write his ass off in my opinion. Listening to the SXSW solo show confirmed it for me. Hearing the newer material in all of it's nakedness really got to me in a good way. Even songs like Gideon and Wonderfull Man turned out to be my favs. I love them as rockers and had no idea that as slow jams this could be pulled off.

A friend who attended that show with me had the same reaction - he said he had no idea that so many MMJ songs had such reflective lyrics and spiritual overtones. Maybe it's just the fact that it was in a church, but several of the songs took on a hymnlike feel - "Wonderful" and "Look At You" especially.

Wouldn't it be considered a bad thing that these songs sound better stripped down? Don't get me wrong, if they sounded horrible stripped down, that would mean they were bad songs to begin with, which would certainly be worse.

But if the songs sound so much better stripped down, isn't MMJ doing a disservice to those songs by dressing them up too much?

Wouldn't it be considered a bad thing that these songs sound better stripped down? Don't get me wrong, if they sounded horrible stripped down, that would mean they were bad songs to begin with, which would certainly be worse.

But if the songs sound so much better stripped down, isn't MMJ doing a disservice to those songs by dressing them up too much?

depends... i'm not of the thought that this is a bad record by any means, just not their best all around work ;)

Who said that?

Not what I meant. Not better, just new and refreshing.

ryan, you are the wind beneath my wings! :cheekkiss

this is true

Louisville soon, let me know where your staying......................or should we just randomly meet in odd states like usual?

:lol when i know, i'll drop you a line. would hate to leave it all to chance. :dancing

I can't believe they did an in-store at Ear-Xtasy Records in Louisville on record-release day. I'll bet that was wild.

I'm trying to imagine Wilco doing that in Chicago. :stunned

i know. just nuts. and awesome.

i'm hoping my copy of at dawn on vinyl lp is waiting for me when i get home, i've been notified it has shipped from music direct.

wow, the At Dawn vinyl is fantastic. my brother has an original release which i've never heard but i've listened to the cd hundreds of times and this vinyl brings out so much more detail than than i've ever heard on this recording. well done. really get the silo effect. one down side is that the inner gatefold looks blurry and i'm wondering if they copied the original instead of resetting it or whatever you'd call it. minor quibble. now back to evil urges....

Three or four months of weekly (cough, okay, bi-daily) listening later, and I still think the title track and Somkin' from Shootin' are the band's finest two songs to date. The latter is just a classy as hell pressure cooker, and the first is a flawless brick of summer rock. I'm almost disgusted that so many people just don't seem to understand. :ohwell

Someone on the MMJ board reported this setlist from Bonnaroo last night. Lots of soul covers and some Sweet Nuthin'! :rock

Evil Urges

Off the Record

Gideon

Hot Fun (Sly & the Family Stone) with Jeff Coffin on saxophone and the Nashville/Louisville Horns

Highly Suspicious

What a Wonderful Man

I'm Amazed

Thank You Too

Touch Me Pt 1

Sec Walkin

Golden

Two Halves

Laylow

Hit it and Quit it (Funkadelic)

Tyrone (Erykah Badu)

Steam Engine - with drum solo

Anytime

Aluminum Park

Easy Morning Rebel with Jeff Coffin and the Nashville/Louisville Horns

Dancefloors with Jeff Coffin and the Nashville/Louisville Horns

One Big Holiday featuring Kirk Hammett of Metallica

-- intermission --

Cold Sweat (James Brown) with Jeff Coffin and the Nashville/Louisville Horns

Get Down On It (Kool and the Gang) with Jeff Coffin and the Nashville/Louisville Horns

Across 110th Street (Bobby Womack & Peace) with Jeff Coffin and the Nashville/Louisville Horns

Wordless Chorus

Phone Went West

Mahgeetah

Oh Sweet Nuthin (Velvet Underground)

Librarian

Bermuda Highway - Jim solo

Dondante

Run Thru

Smokin from Shootin

Touch Me Pt 2

Home Sweet Home (M

Someone on the MMJ board reported this setlist from Bonnaroo last night. Lots of soul covers and some Sweet Nuthin'! :rock

Evil Urges

Off the Record

Gideon

Hot Fun (Sly & the Family Stone) with Jeff Coffin on saxophone and the Nashville/Louisville Horns

Highly Suspicious

What a Wonderful Man

I'm Amazed

Thank You Too

Touch Me Pt 1

Sec Walkin

Golden

Two Halves

Laylow

Hit it and Quit it (Funkadelic)

Tyrone (Erykah Badu)

Steam Engine - with drum solo

Anytime

Aluminum Park

Easy Morning Rebel with Jeff Coffin and the Nashville/Louisville Horns

Dancefloors with Jeff Coffin and the Nashville/Louisville Horns

One Big Holiday featuring Kirk Hammett of Metallica

-- intermission --

Cold Sweat (James Brown) with Jeff Coffin and the Nashville/Louisville Horns

Get Down On It (Kool and the Gang) with Jeff Coffin and the Nashville/Louisville Horns

Across 110th Street (Bobby Womack & Peace) with Jeff Coffin and the Nashville/Louisville Horns

Wordless Chorus

Phone Went West

Mahgeetah

Oh Sweet Nuthin (Velvet Underground)

Librarian

Bermuda Highway - Jim solo

Dondante

Run Thru

Smokin from Shootin

Touch Me Pt 2

Home Sweet Home (M