New My Morning Jacket Album!!!

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great thing about this Bonaroo set is, no matter how you feel about the new material; ( and I've honestly come to enjoy it as much as "Z") it really solidifies your expectations for a live performance on this tour. I bought tickets for myself and my nephews for a September gig. They are not fans. But I feel confident they're really going to enjoy this show.

Can't wait!

ok, I've listened to this in full and I love love love it! sure wish I was going to Radio City. :ohwell

thanks to the kind ms yvon, I'm going!!!!@ :dancing

I'm listening to it right now and after the first several songs I was thinking "Meh, I really don't hear anything too special here--the Evil Urges material doesn't open up to me any moreso than it does on record." I was getting kind of bored, but then around the time "Hit It and Quit it > Tyrone" came up things started getting a lot more interesting. I'm only a few songs into the second set, but I'll say that its a great fun set for a festival with all the covers and stuff. I wonder how much of that kind of stuff will remain in their regular sets?

Wow, "Evil Urges," debuted at #9 on the Billboard Charts. That's a very impressive number for an immensely deserving band.

It sold 50,000 copies in week #1. "Z" has to date sold 216,000 copies.

Well, shit.

honestly? it was just ok....

they did an abbreviated version of Touch Me Pt 2

the best part tho was when Jim put the Omnichord down, and took off his cape to reveal his flying V behind his back, then started rocking out :)

Cloud Cult however KILLED it on Carson Daly

honestly? it was just ok....

they did an abbreviated version of Touch Me Pt 2

the best part tho was when Jim put the Omnichord down, and took off his cape to reveal his flying V behind his back, then started rocking out :)

i agree with all of this. pretty subdued.

James Lipton

And while I'm at it, some clips from MMJ's marathon Bonnaroo performance finally surfaced on YouTube. "One Big Holiday" with Kirk Hammett of Metallica...

And "Home Sweet Home" (M

Not a big MMJ fan or anything but man, Greg Kot really savages these guys...wonder what they did to him?? Seems somewhat undeserved.

LouieB

Band succumbs to its 'Evil Urges'

By Greg Kot | Tribune critic

June 24, 2008

"Evil Urges,' My Morning Jacket

If points were awarded for audacity, My Morning Jacket's new studio release, "Evil Urges," would be a candidate for album of the year.

But just because an album is daring doesn't make it listenable, and "Evil Urges" is a stunning miscalculation by a band poised to make its commercial breakthrough. It doesn't just take the New York-via-Louisville quintet out of its comfort zone, it erases the sound that made the band special in the first place.

The band's first three albums revolved around reverb-drenched guitars and the soaring tenor vocals of Jim James. Along the way, the band built a well-deserved reputation as a formidable touring act and became practically synonymous with the Bonnaroo festival in Tennessee.

The early albums failed to catch on commercially, which may explain why the band took a more adventurous approach on "Z" in 2005. James and company flirted with soul and even reggae, while moving keyboards to a place of greater prominence in the mix alongside the guitars.

"Evil Urges" goes even further, apparently in a bold effort to secure radio airplay. But it backfires. Fans might think they have downloaded a vintage Cameo album by mistake, because "Evil Urges" opens with three straight electro-funk tracks. James pushes his voice to falsetto extremes, especially on "Highly Suspicious," easily the most annoying track released by a major band so far this year. I've heard wedding bands with a better grasp of R&B groove.

The band then indulges a series of hoary '70s AM-radio clich

"ART ROCK | My Morning Jacket, "Evil Urges" (ATO) Having spent its first decade building a loyal following straddling patchouli-scented jam-band fans and Pitchfork-quoting indie-hipsters -- an Allman Brothers for the alt-country crowd, or space-rock Wilco fronted by a reedier-voiced Lenny -- the Louisville, Ky., quintet My Morning Jacket began to walk the experimental/art-rock tightrope on its last album "Z" (2005), and it was rewarded with its biggest commercial success. Underscoring his desire not to be typecast as, you know, a mix of jam band fan and indie-rock hipster, bandleader Jim James told the New York Times, "I don't want people to think anything when they hear 'My Morning Jacket.' I just want them to think of a question mark."

Well, a question mark lingers over the group's fifth studio release, all right, but it isn't the one James was hoping for. Instead, the query is how the heck the group could have expected to pass off such a sprawling, chaotic and ultimately unsatisfying mess as inspired experimentation or stylistic diversity.

Working with producer Joe Chiccarelli (the White Stripes, the Shins), it's as if the band was being steered by a GPS set to lead it into the most troublesome terrain imaginable, veering away from the reliable routes of alt-country, folk-rock and dramatic guitar jams, man, in favor of funk grooves, electronic ambient bleeps and blatant, embarrassing Prince tributes. While there are a few echoes of earlier triumphs, notably in the rousing "I'm Amazed," serious missteps such as the title track, the "Midnight at the Oasis" '70s AM radio tribute "Thank You Too!" and the unbelievably, unbearably annoying "Highly Suspicious" are so dire, the overall disc never recovers.

The themes of acting impulsively and bravely leaping into the void permeate the proceedings. "If you touch me, well I just think I'll scream/'Cause it's been so long, since someone challenged me/And made me think about the way things are/Made me think about the way they could be," James trills in "Touch Me I'm Going to Scream, Pt. 2." But sometimes when you leap, you fall, and there is no inherent nobility in experimentation if all the results just fail."

Jim DeRogatis

Ummm....ok...

Someone over on the MMJ boards posted this response to his review:

Shame on the sun-times for hiring a critic like that. Its like he dosent even try to listen to the music. I bet as soon as heard evil urges, during the first 10 seconds, he probably said to himself

" Hey, this isnt alt country, this isnt the mmj i was expecting to hear, i not even going to even attempt to listen to the music and ill just point out the obvious when i see it...oh look, hes doing a prince impersonation, that will be a great line to put in my unimformed review"

Can't say I disagree with the poster

evil urges is part of the new gospel

You might be on to something there, Rev.

How many nights can a soul so full of life remain untouched?

How can a soul make the most of what is cold and what is near?

Band succumbs to its 'Evil Urges'

By Greg Kot |

"Evil Urges" goes even further, apparently in a bold effort to secure radio airplay.

Bingo.

Kot hasn't got a clue.

Additionally: Could the man possibly come up with more tired clich