New My Morning Jacket Album!!!

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely "Cobra," and maybe even a little of "Steam Engine," what with Jim's vamping over the song's closing minutes that always puts me in mind of Prince for some reason.

Can't wait for some live recordings of the new tour to start surfacing. Gah! :party

am i the only one who doesn't get this band?

i saw 'em live once and although they had a lot of energy, the songs were lacking and all came at you at the same tempo and volume

i didn't bother with Z but the earlier records didn't do much for me either

but, man, people rave about these guys

so maybe it's me

am i the only one who doesn't get this band?

i saw 'em live once and although they had a lot of energy, the songs were lacking and all came at you at the same tempo and volume

i didn't bother with Z but the earlier records didn't do much for me either

but, man, people rave about these guys

so maybe it's me

I am only recently coming around to them--its been a slow-grower for me. Z was the first album of theirs I heard and I still don't care much for 75% of that record. Then, at some point, I picked up At Dawn and it has slowly worked its way into my brain to the point that I absolutely love it now. Took a while before I had my breakthrough with this band, though. I think if you're listening with the expectation of being blown away, you won't be. For me, it sneaked up on me after I had already dismissed them as being kind of dull.

I have been into MMJ for a while but I can attest to their music being a "grower". I was not too impressed until I listened over and over. Especially "At Dawn", at first I heard a few slow tempo songs that I thought were ok. After listens four or five, I discovered complex songs with good melody. As I explored more the more I grew to love them. I must also catch them live. I have had the chance but things just keep coming up and I just missed them. I am making promises to see them no matter what this time.

...but has anybody heard it yet?? :unsure

that's what tonite and sxsw are for.

also on kind of a related topic. just found out this morning that the jacket are now on the ILMA so i need to clear up some hard drive space or get that 2nd external that i've been talking about.

and now back to the topic...when 'at dawn' came out i was still a member on 'postcard' and remember hearing about them over and over and then going to cdnow to listen to the preview clips and just not getting into it AT ALL, and then liked the preview sounds of 'it still moves' so i bought it and have been hooked ever since. i still am not completely taken by 'z' but the other 3 studio albums are top 100 dessert island picks. and as far as live....unbelievable is all i can say.

cheers,

b

also on kind of a related topic. just found out this morning that the jacket are now on the ILMA so i need to clear up some hard drive space or get that 2nd external that i've been talking about.

Maybe I'm stupid but I don't know what ILMA is. I'm guessing it's not the Independent Lubricant Manufacturers Association or the International League of Martial Artists cause that's all I can find.

the artist formerly known as jim james was in full force tonite in is 'butt-less' purple sequined pants. unbelievable.

wilco friday

centro-matic/SSG saturday

mmj monday

the jacket would have blown any of them off of the stage. i love wilco and think that they are an amazing live band but i think i've got to give it to mmj, at least in this round.

the new songs sounded great. definitely some falsetto action.

cheers,

b

"Aluminum Park," is the new monster rock jam of '08. Holy shit this album is so gonna be incredible.

Man, I just cannot get over Evil Urges. I've fallen into one of those "man, I hope something happens soon so that I finally stop listening to this song" loops that threatens to kill it at an early stage for me. I can't help it, though, that chorus is almost unbelievably catchy.

I really like Sec Walkin' and Smokin' from Shootin', too. The melody Jim sings over the rhythm the band lays down on the latter is so, so impressive. This record is gonna rock, and the boys'd best hustle up to Toronto soon. :worship

k i only listened to Evil Urges because yeah, the sound quality is pretty good for a digital camera, but still not that great. and after getting a taste of the new stuff, i'm gonna save myself for the album.

but damn, it sounds incredible. simply cannot wait for this record to drop.

listen to/watch 8 of the new songs live from Houston last night:

http://breakfastontour.com/drupal/new+my+morning+jacket

I gotta say, only through 4 so far, but this shit is f'n GOOOOOOOOD, especially I'm Amazed

audio is quite f'n good for what is probably a digital camera video

For posting this, you have made my day, and I cannot wait until the work day is done so I can go home and check this out!!!!!!!

The more I listen to this band the more I begin to love them. My favorite song right now is "Lay Low" from Z.