New My Morning Jacket Album!!!

"I Will Be There When You Die," just destroys me. Jim's voice is just perfect on that one. One of these days I'll see him solo.

that song is so so powerful... almost teared up a bit during it :/

and yeah, the show was announced in advance. it was an official SXSW showcase, but was listed as just M. Ward then Jim James.

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are the 2 previously unheard songs Librarian and Look At You from the Jim solo show last night:

Look At You:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ry0nc9b6mtm

Librarian:

http://www.mediafire.com/?qnhqm0zxxx6

i did some EQ'ing to brighten it up a bit (it was a bit muffled with the recorder being set on the floor (didn't want to get kicked out of such an incredible show)

The MMJ performance on Thursday night was the highlight of my SXSW. Easily. Damn, they just ROCK. I absolutely loved the new songs; loved how Jim delivered "Highly Suspicious" facing away from the crowd and singing into the mic over his shoulder. It was so Prince. :lol

The whole bill was really strong - the Whigs really held their own against YLT and MMJ, which is no small feat, IMO.

The show at St. David's was really cool too - so intimate.

I can't wait for MMJ to start touring behind this record. It will be epic.

you liked the full MMJ show more than the St. David's show?

i guess I can see it, but that wasn't one of the best MMJ shows i've seen, whereas it was definitely one of the best times i've seen Jim solo, add in a short M. Ward set and a bunch of collaborations? yes please :)

i guess I can see it, but that wasn't one of the best MMJ shows i've seen, whereas it was definitely one of the best times i've seen Jim solo, add in a short M. Ward set and a bunch of collaborations? yes please :)

Must be nice to be all nonchalant about all the MMJ shows you have seen, :ohwell . I am very jealous................Maybe we will save up this year and rock out at one of these festivals next year.

Oh, hell yeah. No contest. The setlist at the full MMJ show was exactly what I was in the mood for that night, I LOVED the new tunes, and I thought the whole evening was just so solid from beginning to end (whereas the opener at the church show really turned me off...ugh, diarycore). And I also got to meet Carrie Brownstein that night, but that's neither here nor there :P

I've heard better sets from M. Ward, so I wasn't that impressed by him that particular evening, although I did enjoy the collaborations (and seeing Zooey in the crowd). I almost thought she'd come up to do that version of "Girl from the North Country" they did on the Monsters of Folk tour...

I thought Jim's set was a bit short, too - I was expecting him to end around 11. Still, it was lovely. And I really enjoyed ol' Snowy Bramble on the pedal steel.

ah i thought the first guy at the Church show was pretty good honestly... great voice at least

i think the venue obviously added a lot to my enjoyment, but it was definitely the best thing I saw at SXSW. the MMJ set was top 3 though.

His voice was tolerable, but the lyrics...oof. Like my junior high diary.

What were some of your surprises this week?

can't say I picked out many lyrics in his short set (usually have to hear something a few times before i can pick at lyrics)

Fanfarlo & Working For A Nuclear Free City were both fantastic at the Fader Fort. the Lou Reed tribute there w/ MMJ, YLT, Thurston Moore, Moby w/ Lou, Dr. Dog, Joseph Arthur, Mark Kozelek, etc. was a blast.

Constantines Fri night set killed it as well.

Nice. I really liked the Felice Brothers at the Mojo party, Yo La Tengo at the Legation, and Sons & Daughters and Clipse at the Mohawk.

It was my first SXSW; I'm definitely going back next year.

• 3 weeks later...