There's an awesome (sarcasm) slideshow on MSNBC where they show him in a promo shot from "I'm Not There," and the headline is "'Not There' Anymore."

Good one, MSNBC! God, I hate the news.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's an awesome (sarcasm) slideshow on MSNBC where they show him in a promo shot from "I'm Not There," and the headline is "'Not There' Anymore."

F'ers!!!

Also, on a CNN slideshow:

"One of Ledger's breakthrough roles was Sir William Thatcher in 'A Knight's Tale.'"

The next slide says:

"Ledger played a gay cowboy in Brokeback Mountain..."

Overly flip. Tone is important when covering serious things.

Celebrities seem to be treated as less than human.

I would even treat Britney as a human, but I work at pretty much the lowest possible level of journalism possible.

I just finished editing the Ledger obit for the paper where I work (The Oklahoman)

I did a really nice spread when Kubrick died, and pitched a fit when Pol Pot died right as the presses were running on the first edition.

The only movie I've seen with him in it is 10 Things I Hate About You and damn, I liked him in that movie.

I fell for him HARD, in that one...*sigh*

man, this is horrible news. and to top it off, just learned that Brad Renfro died on Jan. 18 2008 :mellow

Yeah and Suzane Pleschette (Newhart Show) died a couple of days ago as well. Not trying for gallows humor but these things do really happen in 3's it seems.

Thinking about Ledger's performance in I'm Not There, I'm pretty impressed. He did most of the scenes wearing these big sunglasses, and still managed to convey Dylan's muted emotional turmoil during his divorcing Sara period.

I didn't take this very well... I flipped out at a friend of mine because he asked "whose gonna play joker now?" I kinda yelled and said "fuck you if you care more about a character in a movie than a person's life." then the room got silent and I felt like an asshole. I dunno that stuff just pisses me off, how selfish can you be?

Guest Speed Racer
I dunno that stuff just pisses me off, how selfish can you be?

I think that specifically in cases like this where no one involved knew the person personally, it's important to remember that everyone deals differently with every kind of death. Your friend could have seen that you were visibly upset, felt awkward, and in an attempt to lighten up the situation, made a remark that offended you. Your friend maybe didn't think that the joke was all that offensive to the deceased, given his very removed role in your lives. Yes, it hurt and upset you - if he meant to piss you off that's one thing, but if it's a genuine comment on Heath's death I wouldn't hold him too accountable for the first thing that came out of his mouth.

I tend to smile when I hear people died. I can't help it, and it is *unbelievably* inappropriate, and while I try my best to cover my mouth with my hand, it still gets out. It happened with my grandparents, a few classmates, and various other people. Some other people might have faux-pas diarrhea.

Note to Amy Winehouse: This could be you. Get your shit together.
Perhaps, but this sounds like suicide; Amy is just self destructive in other says....

Sad news all the way around though. Guy was about ready for a big breakthrough. In the Trib it said he hung out in Chicago during the filming of the Batman movie and that his performance was incredible.

I have to admit, he didn't make much of an impact on me from I'm Not There. Was he the actor with Charlotte Gainsbourg or what? if so it makes sense since she acted the hell out of all the scenes she was in. After the three major Dylans (Woody, Jude, Billy) the other three all sort of mushed together for me (except for Rimbaud, who wasn't in it that much.)

LouieB

Guest David Puddy
He is the industry's worst loss since River Phoenix IMO.

agreed. i think he was really beginning to emerge as one of the best around. his performance in Lords of Dogstown really struck me as amazing, and then Brokeback Mt and I'm Not There.

and, does "overdose on sleeping pills" just mean suicide? i've always wondered this...