• Replies 902
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Clifford Ball, Plattsburgh Air Force Base, Plattsburgh NY

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With all due respect to The Great Went, LemonWheel, and ESPECIALLY Big Cypress, this is my favorite of all the Phestivals. This was when we all realized that the boys had MADE IT, big time.

Set 2 from 8/17 is probably my very favorite set of Phish ever - some of their most challenging material played flawlessly. I can't recommend this set enough. A DVD of these shows would be the best Xmas present ever!

A dvd is being released in March - see billboard link.

A little late for Christmas...but none the less.

I cant believe those guys made me sleep in my car for two days on the side of the road in the traffic jam to end all traffic jams and then abandon my car on the side of the road and carry my crap 15 miles into the campground at Coventry to see them for their final show. Only to find out that 3 years later they'd be back. Opening summer tour at Jones Beach. Argh!!

:dancing The 14th anniversary of Phish's 1st Deer Creek show. A very good one, as I recall.

June 4 & 5 Jones Beach (New York)

June 6 Great Woods (Boston)

June 7 Susquehanna Bank Center (Philly)

June 9 Asheville Civic Center (Asheville, NC)

June 16 Fox Theater(St. Louis)

June 18 Post-Gazette Pavilion (Pittsburgh)

June 19 Deer Creek (Indy)

June 20-21 Alpine Valley (East Troy)

Guest Gym Teacher Man

just picked up this bad boy...

walnut_dvd.jpg

only a couple songs in but loved the runaway jim -> my soul to start the show. i'm looking forward to the version of simple in the second set after reading the comments about the '97 simple jams earlier in this thread.

I haven't listened to this yet, but it looks interesting. My guess is that a lot of it is aud, which I can't really stand to listen to, but we'll see...

A few years back (2004) Foxtrotphishin did a poll-type thing asking people to list their top 20 or whatever favorite Phish songs (covers included) in order. The poll ran for like 3 months or something so lots of people got to vote. The songs were given points based on their placement. #1=20, #20=1, yada-yada-yada. they were then tallied up and the finalists (songs) were listed in order.

Everyone was then asked to list their favorite version of the finalists....maybe the favorite version plus a runner up, I don't quite remember. But they were then tallied up and the list was complete. The majority's favorite version of their favorite songs. I, like many, disagreed on some of them but overall it was a pretty good compilation. If you disagree with some of them, who gives a shit. Go cry somewhere else.

He then acquired all the versions (including the lead in/out) in the best source he could get his hands on (at the time) and then threw them all onto discs and copied them for whoever wanted them. I got a copy. He obviously didn't have any editing software. Since I'm so anal about shit like that I cleaned the tracks up, cut out the extraneous crap, boosted levels when needed and applied fades so it sounded more professional.

Well here it is, all 8 discs in 192k mp3's. I tagged (shit, I just realized I didn't tag the genre, oh well) and zipped each disc separately.

Enjoy!

-TK

"Ultimate Phish"

Compiled and arranged by 'FoxtrotPhishin' - 2004

Remixed by yours truly

Disc 1:

1. The Curtain With (9.30.00)

2. You Enjoy Myself (6.11.94)

3. Mike's Song >

4. Simple >

5. Contact >

6. Weekapaug Groove (8.16.96)

Link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QJ7LEK04

Disc 2:

1. Timber (Jerry) (12.7.97)

2. Reba (12.31.95)

3. Sneakin' Sally thru the Alley (12.30.97)

4. Ghost (11.17.97)

5. Harpua (3.31.92)

Link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=I0IKR4HX

Disc 3:

1. Roses are Free (4.3.98)

2. AC/DC Bag (12.30.97)

3. Tube >

4. Slave to the Traffic Light (12.7.97)

Link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GSQARB19

Disc 4:

1. Punch You in the Eye >

2. Down with Disease (12.11.97)

3. Bathtub Gin >

4. Uncle Pen (8.17.97)

5. Wolfman's Brother (12.1.03)

6. The Moma Dance (2.26.03)

Link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6V9JZVX0

Disc 5:

1. Run Like an Antelope >

2. Catapult >

3. Run Like an Antelope (7.16.94)

4. Stash (11.14.95)

5. It's Ice >

6. Swept Away >

7. Steep >

8. It's Ice (12.7.97)

9. Lizards (3.22.93)

Link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MO24QW7T

Disc 6:

1. Halley's Comet (11.22.97)

2. Tweezer (2.28.03)

3. Maze (6.11.94)

4. Fluffhead (6.11.94)

Link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CIZCF8V6

Disc 7:

1. 2001 (7.17.98)

2. Possum (5.17.92)

3. David Bowie (12.29.94)

Link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YSG64VE8

Disc 8:

1. Split Open and Melt >

2. Catapult (12.31.99)

3. The Divided Sky (10.31.94)

4. Chalkdust Torture (7.10.99)

5. Back on the Train (2.28.03)

6. Harry Hood (12.30.95)

Link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7DAPF1F9

I haven't listened to this yet, but it looks interesting. My guess is that a lot of it is aud, which I can't really stand to listen to, but we'll see...

Wow, it appears that 2-28-03 was a great show according to those choices. That's a weird compilation. Why not just grab those specific shows? Phish shows were all about the ebb and flow imo.

2-28-03 is greatness. It has fantastic "flow".

There are about 5 minutes of that Tweezer (something like 16:00-21:00) that contains some mind melting music.

Guest Gym Teacher Man
That's a weird compilation. Why not just grab those specific shows? Phish shows were all about the ebb and flow imo.

i mostly agree with that although i would say that A Live One works well as a compilation. in fact, i thought it was a specific show for years until i looked into it further.

i mostly agree with that although i would say that A Live One works well as a compilation. in fact, i thought it was a specific show for years until i looked into it further.

While A Live One is a nice collection of songs, it certainly doesn't feel like a normal Phish set. That's always been my problem with it.

I've always felt that GD shows had that flow that compilations do a disservice to (unless the compilation is structured in that way), but I've never had that feeling with Phish. Other than segues that exist in a set (i.e. Mike's->Simple or Oh Kee Pah-> Suzy), I never feel anything more than a collection of songs feel from Phish sets.

From Jambands.com:

Flatbed Jam, Soundcheck Among Bonus Features on Clifford Ball DVD

On March 3, Rhino will release a 7 disc DVD package that documents Phish's 1996 summer festival. The Clifford Ball will collect each of the three sets the group performed on August 16 and 17, 1996. In addition, while 6 discs will be devoted to the festival sets, the package will offer a bonus 7th disc that will include the group's Flatbed Jam in the early morning hours of August 17, as well as the group's soundcheck from the day prior to the festival. Other bonus features includes an interview with artist Jim Pollock, a "Chris Kuroda split-screen" and a few interviews with the group.

I know someone who was at that show.

I know I probably mentioned this way back in the thread, but The Clifford Ball is just about the peak, as far as I'm concerned. By the Fall things began to change, and rather drastically too. I guess things HAD to change...but once they "made it" big-time they was a complacency that seemed to set in imo.

I'm still psyched to go out to the Creek again though - once it gets closer to June us VC Phans should consider a meet-up if possible. i know I'd like to meet you folks.

I know I probably mentioned this way back in the thread, but The Clifford Ball is just about the peak, as far as I'm concerned. By the Fall things began to change, and rather drastically too. I guess things HAD to change...but once they "made it" big-time they was a complacency that seemed to set in imo.

I'm still psyched to go out to the Creek again though - once it gets closer to June us VC Phans should consider a meet-up if possible. i know I'd like to meet you folks.

good points. it's funny how i graduated from college in 96 and bang, phish changed. we saw some many shows from 91-96. it was quite a run and at times overwhelming. the band was so good and there were so many surprises! with in two years i was married, had a graduate degree, and had only seen one phish show in that time. the end of an era. here's to a new era of creativity for the band, or at least some fun! remember the chess game. now that shit was FUN!

From Jambands.com:

Phish Adds Additional Date

Phish has added an additional date to its summer tour. The group will return to Knoxville, TN for the first time since 1996 for a performance at the Thompson-Boling Arena on June 10. The show places the Vermont Quartet in Tennessee curiously close to Bonnaroo, which is set to run from June 11-14.

A limited number of tickets are available directly through Phish Tickets' online ticketing system for this show only at http://phish.portals.musictoday.com. The ticketing request period is currently underway and will end on Sunday, January 25th at 11:59AM EST. Tickets for the Knoxville, TN show will go on sale to the public with the rest of the Summer Tour beginning Friday, January 30th at 10AM EST. For full show and ticketing information, please visit the Tourdates page at Phish.com.