Trey Anastasio will join Music Director Marin Alsop and the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra for orchestrations of classic Phish tunes and the East Coast premiere of his composition Time Turns Elastic at 8p.m. on Thursday, May 21, 2009 at the Joseph Meyerhoff Symphony Hall. Tickets will be available through a real time pre sale beginning Thursday, February 19th at 5pm (EST) and ending Friday, February 27th at Noon (EST) at treytickets.rlc.net Tickets go on-sale to the public Saturday, February 28th at noon (EST). Audio taping tickets will not be sold for this event.

The first half of the program features classic Phish songs and solo Trey compositions, while second half of the program features the East Coast premiere of Time Turns Elastic, co-composed by Anastasio and long-time collaborator Don Hart. Time Turns Elastic is a groundbreaking work for vocals, electric guitar and orchestra with long, orchestral passages intertwined with epic guitar lines and vocals in the vein of such classic Anastasio compositions as The Divided Sky, Guyute and Fluffhead. With Anastasio's electric guitar at the forefront, Time Turns Elastic pushes the limits of orchestral music and delivers a complete articulation of the Baltimore Symphony's mission to present new musical collaborations that challenge and inspire audiences. "Most of the time when people use an electric instrument with an orchestra, they destroy the capability to blend," notes Anastasio. "Our approach is to handle it as any other solo instrument. I play at the volume of say, an oboe, so Don can orchestrate around the guitar."

• Replies 902
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy Birthday:

Bob Weaver

Norton Charlton Heston

Tubbs the Beast Boy

Sneezeblood Eyeball

The Yo Yo Ma of Vacuum Cleaners

Moses Yastrzemski

Hankrietta

The Hardest Man in Show Business

Sammy Hagar the Horrible Horn Section

Has anyone heard this Victor Disc that is floating around? I'm listening now and I have to say it is the stuff that really made me lose interest in the band. I realize it was not meant for public consumption but it is indicative of the jamming they were doing live. Lots of repeating phrases layered over each other. Almost no turn on a dime stuff and all tension and no release. Honestly this sounds like the stuff I used to do in my basement with friends when we were in high school in between bouts of the munchies. I'm only halfway through so hopefully there will be some better stuff in here.

/Debbie Downer

Has anyone heard this Victor Disc that is floating around? I'm listening now and I have to say it is the stuff that really made me lose interest in the band. I realize it was not meant for public consumption but it is indicative of the jamming they were doing live. Lots of repeating phrases layered over each other. Almost no turn on a dime stuff and all tension and no release. Honestly this sounds like the stuff I used to do in my basement with friends when we were in high school. I'm only halfway through so hopefully there will be some better stuff in here.

/Debbie Downer

I heard it. Basement comparison is pretty good. It's pretty much wanking. A few good moments but pretty uninspired. I actually really liked the Siket Disc. This is what 6 or 7 years old now. Hopefully these guys have been practicing.

Hopefully these guys have been practicing.

Yeah, I am more worried about this. From everything I've read it looks like they are doing everything BUT practicing. The first comeback didnt work because they werent practicing. Now Trey is working with the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra? I can't blame the guy -- he should do whatever he wants. But we all know that Guyute is going to suffer as a result. And that will hurt.

Well, I'm going to see them in June. They are going to be getting a lot of scrutiny in Hampton. If they get bad reviews hopefully they'll get their act together and practice non-stop for 2 months. It would be horrible if their reunion tour puts the nail in their coffin. Because if they're sloppy I really never want to see them again. It just ruins the memories.

It just ruins the memories.

You know, it's interesting. I've been thinking a lot about this (as someone who got shut out of tix to both Jones Beach shows). They've been away for long enough (and out of their heydey for long enough) that everyone is itching to get tickets. And lots of the folks getting tickets now are people who never saw them, or were really young when they caught them the first time. I don't want to suggest that these phans will accept below par shows, but I get the sense that some phans are just happy to "see Phish." If that makes any sense. Not that I am getting all "old-timer" here (although I realize what this sounds like). And not that if I had tickets, I'd be standing there with my arms folded until Trey plays YEM perfectly, but you just have to wonder how demanding the crowds/phans will be. I mean, these tickets sold out SO FAST, and they did on the below-par first reunion shows too, that you have to think the music almost doesn't matter any more. People just want to see Phish. Some of it is (and always was) drug related, I suppose. But some of it feels like spectacle now.

Maybe I've got enough memories and Phish shows in my back pocket to be able to say this, but I really have no interest in "seeing Phish" if they aren't taking it seriously. It will not only be a disappointment to witness, but it will tarnish the memories.

/sour grapes at not getting tickets or high horse, you choose

Well I think the direction the music took is what is ultimately responsible. When you're doing stuff like what I'm listening to right now (the Victor Disc) and more singer/songwriter stuff, you don't need to practice 8 hours per day. And they didn't. I think that is ultimately more responsible than anything (including drugs). If they're going to get back to being the band I last saw around 1994, they know they'll need to practice a shit ton. If they plan to continue along the same trajectory they were on for the last 12 or so years, I doubt you'll see much improvement.

Well I think the direction the music took is what is ultimately responsible. When you're doing stuff like what I'm listening to right now (the Victor Disc) and more singer/songwriter stuff, you don't need to practice 8 hours per day. And they didn't. I think that is ultimately more responsible than anything (including drugs). If they're going to get back to being the band I last saw around 1994, they know they'll need to practice a shit ton. If they plan to continue along the same trajectory they were on for the last 12 or so years, I doubt you'll see much improvement.

Yeah, I am sure you are right and it must all be related.

I remember when they broke up that Trey said that they used to practice 8 hrs a day when they were kids. And that they were at stages in their lives where they couldn't and didn't want to do that any more. How could I blame the guy for that? It makes perfect sense. But if he knows it, we have to assume they won't come back unless they are ready, right? Then why is he working with the BSO? And Mike working on a new album? I guess we will find out soon enough.

Part of me thinks they are going to play 3 shows of new material in Hampton. If they do that, then "phish" is back.

EDIT: and when I say "phish" I mean the 4 guys who'd always keep you guessing and having fun with a little bit of a kick at the fools paying tons of $ for the reunion shows. Regardless of what the music sounded like.

Guest Gym Teacher Man
You know, it's interesting. I've been thinking a lot about this (as someone who got shut out of tix to both Jones Beach shows). They've been away for long enough (and out of their heydey for long enough) that everyone is itching to get tickets. And lots of the folks getting tickets now are people who never saw them, or were really young when they caught them the first time. I don't want to suggest that these phans will accept below par shows, but I get the sense that some phans are just happy to "see Phish." If that makes any sense. Not that I am getting all "old-timer" here (although I realize what this sounds like). And not that if I had tickets, I'd be standing there with my arms folded until Trey plays YEM perfectly, but you just have to wonder how demanding the crowds/phans will be. I mean, these tickets sold out SO FAST, and they did on the below-par first reunion shows too, that you have to think the music almost doesn't matter any more. People just want to see Phish. Some of it is (and always was) drug related, I suppose. But some of it feels like spectacle now.

Maybe I've got enough memories and Phish shows in my back pocket to be able to say this, but I really have no interest in "seeing Phish" if they aren't taking it seriously. It will not only be a disappointment to witness, but it will tarnish the memories.

/sour grapes at not getting tickets or high horse, you choose

i think that's a fair statement, but i'm one of those people that didn't ever get to see them back in the day and this isn't just about "seeing phish" for me either. they've probably become my favorite band (at least one week, wilco the next) over the last 5 years and i want them to nail these shows too.

i think it's clear to me, based on the various recordings i've heard, that the last few years of their run, they weren't playing on the same level they had been earlier. phish circa 93 and 94 were playing at a level equal to or better than any band ever. if they can retouch this magic, and i'm there, it will make my day, month and year, no doubt. if they dont', i'm not going to just mumble, "well at least i got to see phish" on my way home. i'll be upset.

i think that's a fair statement, but i'm one of those people that didn't ever get to see them back in the day and this isn't just about "seeing phish" for me either. they've probably become my favorite band (at least one week, wilco the next) over the last 5 years and i want them to nail these shows too.

i think it's clear to me, based on the various recordings i've heard, that the last few years of their run, they weren't playing on the same level they had been earlier. phish circa 93 and 94 were playing at a level equal to or better than any band ever. if they can retouch this magic, and i'm there, it will make my day, month and year, no doubt. if they dont', i'm not going to just mumble, "well at least i got to see phish" on my way home. i'll be upset.

Hey GTM - I didn't mean for my post to paint with such broad brush strokes. I certainly dont think all the newbies feel that way (nor do I think all the oldbies (?) agree with me). And I am very well aware of how lame (and incorrect) the tired and cliche'd rant against newbies is among various bands (not just limited to Phish, by any stretch).

Here's another way of putting it. I am sure most people remember the scene in Bitterwsweet Motel where Trey is reading the review about pissing in the ears of the audience? And how the audience lapped it up? The groundswell of demand for Phish to get back together got to be so huge (and Trey's ego probably doesn't help), that I dont know if it's possible to have any context for "it" if you are a member of the band. Give the people what they want. But what exactly is it that people want?

I never had a problem with Phish pissing in my ears (and they have) if it was with the goal of trying something new or goofy (ie, being themselves) and falling flat. If they come back now, and they aren't ready to play the songs, they will be pissing in the audience's ears. And I wonder if people will be happy to pay for the privilege? If Trey flubs Guyute he will still get a standing ovation because people just be happy to be there. And even if the reviews on message boards call him out, they can probably sell out their next 10 tours on name alone. Will Trey bear down?

Haha, ok, enough. I am not sure why I got on this tangent. I am done! I swear! :)

It's all good, Z. :thumbup I concur with most of what you said.

Regarding the "pissing in the ears" article - that was written by the Indy Star music guy reviewing the 8/10/97 show at DC. I still have that article here somewhere. Christ, if he thought THAT was 'pissing in the ears' I wonder what he'd think of some of those lame-ass p/h shows?

Here's a sub-topic to get some discussion rolling (I hope): what are your favorite p/h shows? I thought the last half of the month of July '03 was pretty damn strong.

Completely subjective choice for post hiatus (wouldn't every choice be subjective), and I haven't heard a recording of this yet but I would have to go with the 20th Anniversary show in Boston. I saw that entire 4 show tour. They brought a guest the first three nights. Night 1: The Dude of Life. Night 2: Tom Marshall. Night 3: Jeff-Fucking-Holdsworth. For Night 4 They played a slideshow of images from their entire career during setbreak. Not all of those shows were good. The first night in nassau had some god awful moments, but they had a lot of fun. I just remember watching them that last night during Rock And Roll and Kung and thought this is what it's all about.

Here's another way of putting it. I am sure most people remember the scene in Bitterwsweet Motel where Trey is reading the review about pissing in the ears of the audience? And how the audience lapped it up? The groundswell of demand for Phish to get back together got to be so huge (and Trey's ego probably doesn't help), that I dont know if it's possible to have any context for "it" if you are a member of the band. Give the people what they want. But what exactly is it that people want?

I should probably just leave this alone, but it is a pet peeve of mine. I have known Trey for more than 20 years. Not well, mind you, but enough to know the guy is probably the most grounded ego-less guy I have ever met that is in a position like he is in. I mean he has confidence -- he has to -- but he is also very generous and not at all all about Trey. In fact, I think the scene in Bittersweet you reference is testament to that to a degree. I know this is a tangent, but I always thought it was grossly unfair the abuse Trey has taken at the hands of his "fans" (not directed at you, Matt, but more the overall fanbase). Sorry, I'm done.

I should probably just leave this alone, but it is a pet peeve of mine. I have known Trey for more than 20 years. Not well, mind you, but enough to know the guy is probably the most grounded ego-less guy I have ever met that is in a position like he is in. I mean he has confidence -- he has to -- but he is also very generous and not at all all about Trey. In fact, I think the scene in Bittersweet you reference is testament to that to a degree. I know this is a tangent, but I always thought it was grossly unfair the abuse Trey has taken at the hands of his "fans" (not directed at you, Matt, but more the overall fanbase). Sorry, I'm done.

You know, you're right. I even met the guy once, shook his hand, and he struck me as a really nice, selfless guy. I dont even know why I said it. I guess at this point, it's just ingrained in my head from reading about it everywhere else. I shouldn't have said it. You're right.

Guest Gym Teacher Man

i also concur with most of what MattZ said. i didn't mean to appear annoyed by your comment. i just wanted to stress that i'm not going just to go. or maybe i'm trying to convince myself that i'm above that.

as for favorite shows...

i really dig 12/29/94 - Providence, RI.

Set I: Runaway Jim -> Foam, If I Could, Split Open and Melt, The Horse > Silent in the Morning, Uncle Pen, I Didn't Know, Possum

Set II: Guyute, Digital Delay Loop Jam -> David Bowie, Halley's Comet -> The Lizards, HYHU > Cracklin' Rosie > HYHU, Good Times Bad Times

Encore: My Long Journey Home, Sleeping Monkey

highlights for me are bolded.

i also concur with most of what MattZ said. i didn't mean to appear annoyed by your comment. i just wanted to stress that i'm not going just to go. or maybe i'm trying to convince myself that i'm above that.

as for favorite shows...

i really dig 12/29/94 - Providence, RI.

Set I: Runaway Jim -> Foam, If I Could, Split Open and Melt, The Horse > Silent in the Morning, Uncle Pen, I Didn't Know, Possum

Set II: Guyute, Digital Delay Loop Jam -> David Bowie, Halley's Comet -> The Lizards, HYHU > Cracklin' Rosie > HYHU, Good Times Bad Times

Encore: My Long Journey Home, Sleeping Monkey

highlights for me are bolded.

I was at that show. I have to say (pats self on the back), I was at many of the most lauded shows and hands-down for me is Red Rocks 6/11/94.

as far as post-hiatus shows, my favorite was probably 2/24/03, when BB King sat in. I remember going to the bathroom at set break and I think I may have been the only one in the entire arena not complaining. It's funny to read comments about this show now and how people think it was so great. Everyone there was complaining that night! I sort of understand -- Phish had come back and people wanted to see Phish. But jeez, it's BB King!!

I think that show was better than the Nassau coliseum show a few nights later (all my friends disagree(d)). No one in my section had any idea what Destiny Unbound was. It was like being in the twilight zone. GBOTT and Tweezer were the highlights that night (and I never was that big of a Tweezer fan).

And coventry was a mess of ridiculous proportions, but it still holds a special place in my heart for many reasons. If you wanted it bad enough, you got there. And I got there. The music didn't matter.

it's cool to talk about phish with people who get it. thanks guys.

i can't see the band even wanting to run through shit like reba and YEM. it's just a different time for them. they'll probably pick up where they left off, but having more fun. i'm not expecting anything great from these new shows. you're gonna get textbook setlists and lots of groove jamming. not my cup of tea, but will probably be pretty good for the folks that go. and it will be more than pissing in hears. here's to the band and phans having fun...that's it.

it's cool to talk about phish with people who get it. thanks guys.

:cheers

It's really kinda hard to pick out uniformly strong p/h shows (beginning to end) but there were a number of great moments - I remember the Cincinnati Gin, the Nassau Tweezer you mentioned, the Chicago Simple - all very interesting to my ears. The Greensboro show on 3/1 was pretty strong throughout. And of course the last Deer Creek show (with DWD, Timber - probably my favorite cover they do - and the Antelope and Wedge, and COIL :worship ) holds a special place in my heart.

Like I said before, when Summer rolls around I hope to see some of you on the DC lawn. :thumbup

Phish: The Biography

Parke Puterbaugh's official biography of Phish is now set for a May 25 release. Phish: The Biography evolved out of his 1995 interview with the group for a Rolling Stone article. Da Capo Press is publishing the 320 page book which is described as "the product of a decade of interviews with all band members, tracing their evolution from prep school to enormous success in the mid-

That's gonna be an awesome read. As popular as the band has been, they still haven't got a whole hell of a lot of scutiny in book form. I can't wait.