• Replies 902
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Runaway Jim

8/11 - Totota Park was pretty awesome. Lot of great stuff. So happy to hear a Chalkdust and a Hood. I really dug The Curtain With. Loving Cup closer was rad as hell too.

I didn't get my Runaway Jim opener I'd really been hoping for though. :(

I really like some of the new songs - Kill Devil Falls, Ocelot, Backwards Down the Number Line. I'm warming up to Time Turns Elastic.

8/11 - Totota Park was pretty awesome. Lot of great stuff. So happy to hear a Chalkdust and a Hood. I really dug The Curtain With. Loving Cup closer was rad as hell too.

I didn't get my Runaway Jim opener I'd really been hoping for though. :(

I really like some of the new songs - Kill Devil Falls, Ocelot, Backwards Down the Number Line. I'm warming up to Time Turns Elastic.

i would have never guessed you liked runaway jim...mmmm?

incidently, i too love a nice, long Runaway Jim!

• 2 weeks later...

Joy Bonus disc tracklist.

Phish is offering an exclusive Joy Box, which is available only at Phish Dry Goods a a Limited Edition deluxe version of eleventh studio album - Joy. A complete second album entitled "Party Time" is part of the Joy Box and the complete track listing has been revealed. Below are the track names, many of which have not yet been heard of played live.

Party Time (2:43)

Alaska (7:16)

Windy City (5:20)

In A Misty Glade (2:51)

Gone (4:10)

Only A Dream (4:10)

The Birdwatcher (2:16)

Let Me Lie (3:57)

If I Told You (3:53)

Splinters Of Hail (3:33)

Can't Come Back (4:38)

Shrine (1:54)

Liquid Time (4:23)

heard the new album, Joy. it's pretty MOR. phish used to have good songs as well as chops. they still have chops, but the songs are gone. page's song is just a joke. can't believe he couldn't come up with anything given his good solo album a few years back. some of the songs have potential(light, 20 years) but go nowhere except into multiple voice overdub hell. the initial hook on time turns elastic is good, but the rest of the song is totally forgotten and way too long. luckily, the band still has their chops and are playing well these days. i used to like their albums. rift, billy breaths, lawnboy, story of the ghost, all some of the best music of the 90s. guess those days are over. i compare them to rush. still can go out there blow way an audience, but when it comes to new material, it's over. too bad.

Phish to Appear on NPR

Phish will appear on NPR's Morning Edition tomorrow, September 4. Both Trey Anastasio and Page McConnell will sit for interviews and the station will likely play a few cuts from the band’s forthcoming album, Joy.

In other Phish news, the band has released the list of songs slated for inclusion on the DVD that will accompany the Joy box set. All nine of the DVD’s tracks will feature live versions of Joy songs recorded earlier this year. The only song from the album left off the DVD is “I Been Around,” which only made its concert debut on the final night of Phish’s tour.

The disc’s full track list includes:

1. Time Turns Elastic (16:34) - 5/31/09 Boston, MA

2. Sugar Shack (4:52) - 6/7/09 Camden, NJ

3. Joy (5:08) - 6/7/09 Camden, NJ

4. Stealing Time From The Faulty Plan (5:03) - 6/12/09 Manchester, TN

5. Alaska (7:37) - 6/12/09 Manchester, TN

6. Light (12:30) - 6/14/09 Manchester, TN

7. Ocelot (9:32) - 6/19/09 Noblesville, IN

8. Backwards Down The Number Line (7:44) - 6/19/09 Noblesville, IN

9. Kill Devil Falls (8:09) - 6/20/09 East Troy, WI

heard the new album, Joy. it's pretty MOR. phish used to have good songs as well as chops. they still have chops, but the songs are gone.

I've heard Joy and I totally disagree with you. I think the songwriting is very strong and it may be their most tuneful album well.....ever. Is it you don't hear the "songs" or just don't like them? Compared to Round Room, this is a Phish masterpiece.

heard the new album, Joy. it's pretty MOR. phish used to have good songs as well as chops. they still have chops, but the songs are gone. page's song is just a joke. can't believe he couldn't come up with anything given his good solo album a few years back. some of the songs have potential(light, 20 years) but go nowhere except into multiple voice overdub hell. the initial hook on time turns elastic is good, but the rest of the song is totally forgotten and way too long. luckily, the band still has their chops and are playing well these days. i used to like their albums. rift, billy breaths, lawnboy, story of the ghost, all some of the best music of the 90s. guess those days are over. i compare them to rush. still can go out there blow way an audience, but when it comes to new material, it's over. too bad.

You only mentioned the mediocre songs that are on the album though. Stuff like Stealing Time, Joy, Ocelot, Kill Devil Falls, and Sugar Shack are all great Phish tunes. Hell, Joy is probably the best ballad they've recorded. And if you're worried about Page's output, wait until you hear Windy City on the bonus track. They played it live in Chicago and I thought it was a hell of a tune. As for his song on Joy, it's fine for being under 2 minutes long. Are you really going to give Phish shit for putting a joke song on a record? Come on, this is Phish we are talking about.

Lawnboy was a very mediocre effort for Phish. Those are all classic live songs for the most part that just fell completely flat in the studio. And you list Rift so I know you've heard Phish do a joke song already.

Joy is the best Phish album since Ghost. That may or may not be saying something, but I'm very happy with it. Time Turns Elastic blows though. That song can go fuck itself forever.

Compared to Round Room, this is a Phish masterpiece.

No, no, no. Round Room is actually their most underrated record, IMO. It holds up.

Joy is ok. It has its moments.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know when the Joy Box is supposed to come out? It's still not available for preorder on amazon. I've still been holding out on getting the new album because the box has videos of three songs that I saw.

Also Phish recently announced a bunch of new dates for their fall tour:

PHISH FALL TOUR 2009

11.18.09 Cobo Arena, Detroit, MI

11.20.09 U.S. Bank Arena, Cincinnati, OH

11.21.09 U.S. Bank Arena, Cincinnati, OH

11.22.09 War Memorial at Oncenter , Syracuse, NY

11.24.09 Wachovia Center, Philadelphia, PA

11.25.09 Wachovia Center, Philadelphia, PA

11.27.09 Times Union Center, Albany, NY

11.28.09 Times Union Center, Albany, NY

11.29.09 Cumberland County Civic Center, Portland, ME

12.02.09 Madison Square Garden , New York, NY

12.03.09 Madison Square Garden, New York, NY

12.04.09 Madison Square Garden, New York, NY

12.05.09 John Paul Jones Arena, Charlottesville, VA

Which is freaking awesome because I'll get to see Phish for a third time this year.

Phish's first visit to Michigan in 10 years. I've never seen a show at Cobo and I hear mixed things about it, but I'm just happy to be able to see Phish in Detroit. Going to hit up the Cinci shows as well. That'll make 7 Phish shows for me this year.

Phish's first visit to Michigan in 10 years. I've never seen a show at Cobo and I hear mixed things about it, but I'm just happy to be able to see Phish in Detroit. Going to hit up the Cinci shows as well. That'll make 7 Phish shows for me this year.

that sounds like my life back in 1995 :-)

phish tix are way too much money now. i feel bad for the phans. i am curious about the halloween show.

that sounds like my life back in 1995 :-)

phish tix are way too much money now. i feel bad for the phans. i am curious about the halloween show.

Yeah, the prices are making it rough, and probably the reason I don't do more shows. I'm definitely skipping the halloween festival because of money. It would cost at least 2000 bucks when all is said and done for me and my girlfriend to do the festival. I could always make some money at phish shows if I wanted as well, offset the cost.

Guest Runaway Jim

due to costs, i'm pretty much resigned to the fact that i'll only see them when they're in or around Chicago (Deer Creek and Alpine count). that goes for any band really.

due to costs, i'm pretty much resigned to the fact that i'll only see them when they're in or around Chicago (Deer Creek and Alpine count). that goes for any band really.

I'm mulling over the idea of the Cinci run. You should do the same - be great to see you there, RJ. :thumbup

Guest Runaway Jim

I'm mulling over the idea of the Cinci run. You should do the same - be great to see you there, RJ. :thumbup

Well if you're going to twist my arm... Cinci's basically Chicago. Would certainly be worth the trip.

Let's hope for that Bowie!

Well if you're going to twist my arm... Cinci's basically Chicago. Would certainly be worth the trip.

Damn didn't realize cinci was as close as Detroit, still can't make though do to work. I may be having my schedule changed at work.....if i do Detroit could happen :) right now i'm planning on philly night two.

Somewhere in this long assed thread I MUST have mentioned that I LOVE the Bowie. Nice recall, dude! :cheers

I always hope for the Bowie. Always. Although Jim is high up there on the list as well. :thumbup

Guest Runaway Jim

What shows/albums are you guys listening to these days?

I'm rotating between 6/20/09 and 11/14/95.

The '95 show is really high energy. I'm loving it. The Julius is just absurd. And the Stash -> Manteca ->Stash -> Dog Faced Boy -> Stash is unreal.