• Replies 902
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are some AUD sources up at bt.etree.org (of course). I think I may grab one of them.

The Exile set is pretty damn good. The back up singers and horns are great, esp. on Shine A Light. Worth the download. Z-Man's source on Etree sounds nice. I think it sounds better then the XM feed.

Before they came on for the second set on the 31st to play their musical costume they played a video montage of all the bands/albums that were up for possibly being played.

You can see the video here:

Edit:

I watched this before and didn't notice it, but there's a brief clip of Tweedy at about 3:19.

Before they came on for the second set on the 31st to play their musical costume they played a video montage of all the bands/albums that were up for possibly being played.

You can see the video here:

Edit:

I watched this before and didn't notice it, but there's a brief clip of Tweedy at about 3:19.

Thanks for the link. I thought it sounded pretty cool when I heard it on Halloween. It nice to see the video.

I can't figure out what song Tweedy was playing, though...

Thanks for the link. I thought it sounded pretty cool when I heard it on Halloween. It nice to see the video.

I can't figure out what song Tweedy was playing, though...

If you look at the comments below, the author (tries) to list all of the samples and I don't see any Wilco/Tweedy in there.

I think they included the image only.

Edit: I was listening online too and couldn't figure out what it was they were playing.

Someone tweeted that it was a video montage.

About a minute or two before they played it, Phish tweeted the link but it was a private/protected video so I couldn't see it.

A few minutes later they changed the permissions.

The Exile set is pretty damn good. The back up singers and horns are great, esp. on Shine A Light. Worth the download. Z-Man's source on Etree sounds nice. I think it sounds better then the XM feed.

Thanks. I will check that source out later. I have a rip in my eardrum again, so no music for me for a while.

How did they handle the lyrics to Sweet Black Angel?

When I was a kid I could not make out the words to that song.

:lol I had that problem with a lot of Stones' songs. Now it's a bit easier looking up the lyrics on the internet. I have to listen the Phish show again to find out, my guess is they "mumbled" their way through it like Jagger did.

:lol I had that problem with a lot of Stones' songs. Now it's a bit easier looking up the lyrics on the internet. I have to listen the Phish show again to find out, my guess is they "mumbled" their way through it like Jagger did.

Or, Like Lou Reed, changed the word to black.

• 3 weeks later...

Or, Like Lou Reed, changed the word to black.

Phish definitely did not change the word to "black". The lyrics were much more clear in the Phish performance of Exile than the original album. I wonder if they had prompters...which of course is fine if they did.

Phish definitely did not change the word to "black". The lyrics were much more clear in the Phish performance of Exile than the original album. I wonder if they had prompters...which of course is fine if they did.

Interesting. I have not heard this yet, I need to check it out.

Guest Runaway Jim

I'm going to my first Phish show tonight and I've never listened to them. What should I expect?

Have fun man. I took in my first two shows this summer and they were amazing. But I listen to them a lot.

Don't worry about expectations. Just have fun.

And despite what others may say, you don't need to smoke any grass to have fun. In fact, I'd say the shows, no matter the band, are best taken in stone-cold sober. Others here have previously expressed the same.

I'm going to my first Phish show tonight and I've never listened to them. What should I expect?

Man, I hope you had a blast! As I said previously I got shut out for tickets (and didn't really make an attempt to score later) so you are my eyes and ears for this one!

Please feel free to give us a nice review - your first time is always worthy of reflection. :cheers

I enjoyed the Phish show. Never seen a crowd like that before! I used to attend Dave Matthews Band shows fairly regularly (years ago) and I thought those crowds were the most energetic and involved I'd see but the Phish crowd topped that. EVERYONE knew the music and/or was losing their shit. That was cool. Least sober crowd I've ever been apart of, too. Also cool.

The venue was TERRIBLE. Anarchy reigned everywhere but in the crowd; it was every man for himself.

I did get tired after their first set and wasn't looking forward to the second but that kinda faded and I enjoyed the rest of the show, which was a nice surprise. I couldn't tell you one song they played since I'd never heard them before, but it certainly was a rockin' show and I enjoyed the extended jams.

I enjoyed the Phish show. Never seen a crowd like that before! I used to attend Dave Matthews Band shows fairly regularly (years ago) and I thought those crowds were the most energetic and involved I'd see but the Phish crowd topped that. EVERYONE knew the music and/or was losing their shit. That was cool. Least sober crowd I've ever been apart of, too. Also cool.

The venue was TERRIBLE. Anarchy reigned everywhere but in the crowd; it was every man for himself.

I did get tired after their first set and wasn't looking forward to the second but that kinda faded and I enjoyed the rest of the show, which was a nice surprise. I couldn't tell you one song they played since I'd never heard them before, but it certainly was a rockin' show and I enjoyed the extended jams.

my first show was in 91. i went with some friends. i was sure the show was over at set break, then trey said they would be back for a second set. i couldn't believe it. the venue was about as big as my living room.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed it, man! :cheers

Yeah, those shows can be quite the marathon, huh? I got the same feeling at my first show - it was like "damn, that was a LOT of music - you mean there's a whole 'nother set?" :lol

It's also awesome that you went not knowing the catalogue. No preconceptions or expectations. You were able to just soak it up in real time.

Logged on and refreshed right at 11am for MSG. Selected 1 ticket since I figured that was my best shot. I get through. Wait time is 3 mins. And then it continues to update so that wait time is now 4 mins, 5 mins, 7 mins, 9 mins. Then back down. And I get through.

My single ticket is behind the stage. The only single ticket in the entire joint is, apparently, behind the stage. I gave up the ticket. Closed the window. And remembered why this band was so tough to love towards the end, last go-round. It's not their fault, I know. Just my rant for the day. Thanks for listening.

Chapter 2.

Ticketmaster released extra tix two nights ago and I scored a single floor ticket for face. And made my way to the Garden last night. Lights went down at 8:02, the garden erupted, and I couldn't believe i was back at MSG for a Phish show. My last one was 12/31/97. (Was that their last show at MSG? I think so)

Of course, they open with AC/DC Bag (lets get this show on the road), the place goes nuts, and the rest of the night was one boogie fest. Felt like a real old school show to me -- only a couple of new tunes, and very few from the last couple of records. Nothing beats a Cavern first set closer. Chalkdust, NICU, Sample, Wolfman's Bro, Peaches, from the first set. A second set with Hood, Antelope, Tweezer, Golgi? Umm, yeah, I'll take it.

Not sure if these old bones can handle another night tonight, but maybe tomorrow night? :)

EDIT: (1) ok, so there's been a million phish shows at msg since 1997. Forgive me.

(2) I really enjoyed Ocelot and Light. Not mind blowing tunes, but I was pleasantly surprised that the new tunes were decent.

Been listening to the show the last 2 days. Overall, a valiant effort. I agree "Sweet Black Angel" is done really well because you can understand the lyrics clearly. One of the highlights, actually, of the set. "shake Your Hips" has a real nice vibe to it, too. The only real extended jamming, that I picked up on, comes in "torn and Frayed" (done very nicely) and an extended "Happy" (done like the Stones typically do live). One disappointment I felt was the "Tumbling Dice." Trey's voice doesn't work on this tune at all. but again, a spirited challenge for them to tackle this double Lp wedged between two other full sets.