Chapter 2.

Ticketmaster released extra tix two nights ago and I scored a single floor ticket for face. And made my way to the Garden last night. Lights went down at 8:02, the garden erupted, and I couldn't believe i was back at MSG for a Phish show. My last one was 12/31/97. (Was that their last show at MSG? I think so)

Of course, they open with AC/DC Bag (lets get this show on the road), the place goes nuts, and the rest of the night was one boogie fest. Felt like a real old school show to me -- only a couple of new tunes, and very few from the last couple of records. Nothing beats a Cavern first set closer. Chalkdust, NICU, Sample, Wolfman's Bro, Peaches, from the first set. A second set with Hood, Antelope, Tweezer, Golgi? Umm, yeah, I'll take it.

Not sure if these old bones can handle another night tonight, but maybe tomorrow night? :)

EDIT: (1) ok, so there's been a million phish shows at msg since 1997. Forgive me.

(2) I really enjoyed Ocelot and Light. Not mind blowing tunes, but I was pleasantly surprised that the new tunes were decent.

sounds fun. I love Ocelot and Light and most of the new ones. VERY underrated album for sure.

im looking forward to Sat night

• Replies 902
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally got the Clifford Ball DVD box set, and I must say thank God this stuff was filmed. THIS is the way I like to remember the band. I wasn't at The Ball but I saw them just a few days before this and it was so obvious by this time that the band was just going to get BIG - but to experience the band before they were 'on the radar' was just such a beautiful thing. Just the thing I needed after Jerry's demise.

They hadn't got lazy yet, or got into bad stuff...they were just killing everywhere they went. This is my favorite fest.

Now to the obvious question: this took 13 years to see the light of day, how long must we wait for a treatment like this for Big Cypress?

I finally got the Clifford Ball DVD box set, and I must say thank God this stuff was filmed. THIS is the way I like to remember the band. I wasn't at The Ball but I saw them just a few days before this and it was so obvious by this time that the band was just going to get BIG - but to experience the band before they were 'on the radar' was just such a beautiful thing. Just the thing I needed after Jerry's demise.

They hadn't got lazy yet, or got into bad stuff...they were just killing everywhere they went. This is my favorite fest.

Now to the obvious question: this took 13 years to see the light of day, how long must we wait for a treatment like this for Big Cypress?

A huge boxed set of all things Big Cypress has been on my "most wanted" list ever since we left that festival and found out that there really weren't any good soundboard recordings because the FM stream they planned to broadcast didn't work as expected. I don't know anyone who was there who doesn't want a huge audio/video set that covers that entire weekend.

I am still really enjoying "Joy" -- this may actually be my favorite studio album that they have ever released. I haven't been to a Phish show since '02 (hit over 30 shows between 95 - 01), but after listening to Festival 8 I'm convinced that I really need to make it a point to see them next year.

And by the way, has anyone heard the "Party Time" bonus disc that came with the big Joy Box that was released through their website? Any thoughts? I would love to hear it, but can't bring myself to spend the cash on the huge box just for one disc.

A huge boxed set of all things Big Cypress has been on my "most wanted" list ever since we left that festival and found out that there really weren't any good soundboard recordings because the FM stream they planned to broadcast didn't work as expected. I don't know anyone who was there who doesn't want a huge audio/video set that covers that entire weekend.

I am still really enjoying "Joy" -- this may actually be my favorite studio album that they have ever released. I haven't been to a Phish show since '02 (hit over 30 shows between 95 - 01), but after listening to Festival 8 I'm convinced that I really need to make it a point to see them next year.

And by the way, has anyone heard the "Party Time" bonus disc that came with the big Joy Box that was released through their website? Any thoughts? I would love to hear it, but can't bring myself to spend the cash on the huge box just for one disc.

Ive been seeing them since 88 or whenever and I saw them Saturday night. It was as good as any show Ive ever seen. Absolutely terrific.

Matt, your brain is in fine working order - but I think it goes like this:

'96 - Clifford Ball

'97 - Great Went

'98 - Lemonwheel

'99 - Big C

'03 - IT

'09 - whatever the hell that thing was called out in CA :lol

I always thought it was neat that Harpua ended The Ball (unfinished), and then started The Went, to give 'closure'.

Matt, your brain is in fine working order - but I think it goes like this:

'96 - Clifford Ball

'97 - Great Went

'98 - Lemonwheel

'99 - Big C

'03 - IT

'09 - whatever the hell that thing was called out in CA :lol

I always thought it was neat that Harpua ended The Ball (unfinished), and then started The Went, to give 'closure'.

Dont forget Coventry :(

Must be missing one more because the last one was called 8. I assume there were 7 before it.

Camp Oswego is the one that everyone forgets. It was in the summer of 99, and it's definitely overshadowed by Big Cypress since that took place just a few months later.

I've got a few of the shows. I think summer was excellent, too. Still great stuff.

Oh hell yeah the second leg had some great moments. But these fall shows have are more on point through out. I really think by this time next year it will be like they never left.

Have you herd the Albany shows yet? I just finished night two and wow! Cinci night one was great as well.

I got to catch night two in philly which had many peeks and valleys but the opening Kill Devil Falls followed by 46 Days had shook the place done.

I've got Philly shows, MSG, Detroit, Cinci (I think), Charlottesville, and maybe Albany. Just got 'em last week and haven't been through all yet. The Philly shows stuck out, though. Beauty of a Broken Heart was in there somewhere, I thin. Done really well.

Guest Runaway Jim

Anyone up for trading some shows sometime?

I'm guessing most of you seasoned veterans have a ton of stuff. More than my 10 or so. But I'd love to get my hands on everything I can.

Guest Runaway Jim

Check pm

Thanks man! Downloading now.

So that downloaded quickly and easily. Let me know if you have anything else you'd like to share.

How do you upload stuff to that site? I would love to try that so I can share the things I have.

Edited by Runaway Jim
  • 2 weeks later...