• Replies 902
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like that encore (Heavy Things-> First Tube) and the Tube/First Tube opener/closer. Said it before but I don't get the non-love for First Tube some folks have. Amazing tune imo.

Glad you had a fun night dkyrus. Saw pics and it looks like a wonderful venue.

Thanks! Much better!

No problem, its a great site, I've met a lot of great people on there enjoy it. There is an audio archive on the right hand side as well that is a treasure trove.

Well, Wilco/Phish phans, my first show (Portsmouth, VA) was an unqualified success on all fronts. Everything sounded great to me and there was definitely a very cool and happy vibe at the show. (I haven't seen security be this nonexistent since. . .well, maybe forever.) The band was tight and, to my ears, they struck a perfect balance of composed and jamming. (This seems to be a matter of some controversy among the hardcore phans, but the thing that I haven't loved about some of what I've heard in the past is the long, meandering extended jams.) I stood up close for all but the first couple of songs--several people I know had gotten there really early and got great sets, but I find I just prefer standing.

Here's the setlist:

Set I: Tube, Kill Devil Falls, Slave to the Traffic Light, Lawn Boy, Poor Heart, AC/DC Bag, Moma Dance, My Friend My Friend, Cold Water, Bathtub Gin, Stealing Time from the Faulty Plan

Set II: Wilson, Seven Below, 46 Days, Idea, 2001, Simple > Joy, Taste, Theme from the Bottom, A Day in the Life

Encore: Heavy Things, First Tube

Apparently Wilco fans are real pikers when it comes to obsessive compulsive behavior--if you want to read a totally whacked out review of the concert, check out this link: http://phantasytour.com/phish/boards_thread.cgi?threadID=2345312 and read Lakewood99's 2 posts--I think #137 and 138. Whoo hoo!!

So glad I got to see this show. It was a perfect venue, a beautiful night, a great bonding experience with friends, and some seriously good music. I already downloaded the concert and have been reliving the experience today.

Glad to hear you had a great time! That's a really odd placement for Slave, but i'll take that one anytime!

Good to see My Friend and Theme in there as well. those songs remind me of '95 so much - the best Summer Tour ever imo.

Glad to hear you had a great time! That's a really odd placement for Slave, but i'll take that one anytime!

Good to see My Friend and Theme in there as well. those songs remind me of '95 so much - the best Summer Tour ever imo.

Oh yeah, it was apparently really remarkable to have Slave played so early in the show (according to my nephew the Phan and his Phriends, it may have been the earliest ever). It was a highlight. Another was the opening--There was a guy with a huge TUBE sign running around in front before the show, and it was an impressive effort. The crowd started chanting TUUUUUBE as the band took the stage. It got Trey's attention and they were all grinning. He commented that yeah, they take requests, "We"re an all request band" and then they launched into the song. It was very cool to see them be so spontaneous--I'm pretty sure it wasn't the scheduled opener.

As I listen to the downloaded show now in retrospect, I really appreciate the musicianship and flow. When you're actually in the thick of the moment, you can't help but be moved by the crowd, the atmosphere, the warm and smiling faces of the band members (Trey particularly just looks blissed out all the time!), but when you listen back to the show you can truly appreciate how talented this band is. They were just so tight they could appear loose, if that makes sense.

6-22-94

"I don't care who you are - you can be Kareem, Akeem, Shaleem, any of those people...you can be playing in game 7 of the NBA Finals and it means nothing, NOTHING if you haven't read the fucking BOOK! READ IT! It can SAVE YOUR LIFE!"

"What, you think you're TOO GOOD for THE BOOK?"

(paraphrasing here - but I think I covered some of the good bits) :cheers

"I don't care who you are - you can be Kareem, Akeem, Shaleem, any of those people...you can be playing in game 7 of the NBA Finals and it means nothing, NOTHING if you haven't read the fucking BOOK! READ IT! It can SAVE YOUR LIFE!"

"What, you think you're TOO GOOD for THE BOOK?"

(paraphrasing here - but I think I covered some of the good bits) :cheers

READ IT!!!!!!!!

READ THE BOOK :dance

• 3 months later...

Phish is doing 3 nights out here (Denver/Boulder) in a week or so at a small in-door venue. They will be doing a benefit (w/ Sting Cheese, YMSB, Big Head Todd & Monsters, and parts of Leftover Salmon) the night before the run for the people involved in the Four Mile Canyon fire a few weeks back. Tough ticket that sold out in 10 minutes. What a sweet line-up. Bound to be a fantastic night of tunes.....

Phish is doing 3 nights out here (Denver/Boulder) in a week or so at a small in-door venue. They will be doing a benefit (w/ Sting Cheese, YMSB, Big Head Todd & Monsters, and parts of Leftover Salmon) the night before the run for the people involved in the Four Mile Canyon fire a few weeks back. Tough ticket that sold out in 10 minutes. What a sweet line-up. Bound to be a fantastic night of tunes.....

Any luck Lammy? I don't think I even came close to getting tickets but keep hope alive.

No luck. Still a little time. Plus I think I have the kids that night. I may be able to switch with the ex as I think she's hitting Phish 1-2 nights on the school nights. Might head up there regardless and look around. Did you hit any Furthur shows last weekend?

No luck. Still a little time. Plus I think I have the kids that night. I may be able to switch with the ex as I think she's hitting Phish 1-2 nights on the school nights. Might head up there regardless and look around. Did you hit any Furthur shows last weekend?

Sadly no. My stupid hack bar band is starting to get in the way of having a good time.

• 2 weeks later...

saw phish for the first time at the austin city limits festival over the weekend. talking to friends who are big fans, i knew pretty much what to expect as far as musicianship, light show, fans, etc. and it didn't disappoint. very cool show...

• 3 weeks later...

Just listened to Phish's rendition of Little Feat's Waiting for Columbus, it was great. I think I liked it better than last years Halloween show. The horns sounded better as well as the added percussion. I am not too familiar with Waiting for Columbus, the last time I think I listened to it all the through was while I was camping during the Terrapin Station shows in WI.