• Replies 902
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't seen them since 98, so I figured I make up for lost time - pulled a 3 day pass for the Chicago shows.

I am bit bummed that the city is expanding the venue (Charter One on Northerly Island) - hopefully,  they do a good job.

• 2 months later...

So our band has been tasked with playing "a phish song" for a private party coming up.  I have to admit I really don't know my Phish.  What would be a good song that most Phish fans would like to hear?  Preferably something heavier on guitar and bass and not a ton of keyboards since we lack a keyboard player.

So our band has been tasked with playing "a phish song" for a private party coming up.  I have to admit I really don't know my Phish.  What would be a good song that most Phish fans would like to hear?  Preferably something heavier on guitar and bass and not a ton of keyboards since we lack a keyboard player.

Your prayers have been answered, Moss! How about Carini? Easy as hell to learn, hard-rockin' Phish. Let us know what you think of this.

Chalkdust Torture. Pretty straight forward guitar rock, good tune. Wilson or Possum would be good choices too.

Great choices, thanks!  Any one of these should work great.  I will listen through them all a bunch and see which one jumps out.  Thanks for the help!

My pick would be Wilson, too. Pretty straight forward song.

If it's a house party and the are requesting Phish, they should be familar with the tune and be able to participate, which might be fun.

So our band has been tasked with playing "a phish song" for a private party coming up. I have to admit I really don't know my Phish. What would be a good song that most Phish fans would like to hear? Preferably something heavier on guitar and bass and not a ton of keyboards since we lack a keyboard player.

Sample in a Jar would be easy?

Anybody read this?

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9339331/after-30-years-consider-phish-great-band

Nothing particularly revealing here, but a shoutout to Wilco:

"The other kind of greatness derives from never being less than good (and staying connected to a sizable core audience) over many years. U2, R.E.M., Sonic Youth, Metallica, Pearl Jam, Radiohead, and Wilco are the most notable recent examples of this lived-in greatness — and so is Phish, though it rarely gets mentioned in this company."

• 2 months later...

Saw this on my FB page:

Phish have Genesis’ The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway on their short list of Halloween album covers, according to a Trey Anastasio interview with Rolling Stone. The article points that Phish reached out to Gabriel about covering a classic Genesis album in 2010. Anastasio goes on to says, . “I can play [ The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway ] in my sleep, but we’ll only do it if [Gabriel] does it with us. Peter Gabriel, if you want to do The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway with us this Halloween, we’re your band. You heard it here first.”

Anastasio inducted Genesis into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2010, and Phish performed the band’s songs “Watcher of the Skies” and “No Reply At All” at the induction ceremony (though they have yet to perform the tunes again.) They also worked on 2004’s Undermind at Gabriel’s studio.

“I’m such a big fan of Peter Gabriel, I can’t even begin to tell you,” Anastasio elaborates. “I’ve been one my whole lifetime, so just hearing his voice on the phone was kind of exciting. If he wanted to [perform The Lamb] with us, I would do it. . . That album had a huge effect on me, and [Phish drummer] Jon Fishman as well. I spent most of my high school years in a dark closet with headphones on listening to The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway .”

Gabriel is slated to tour through October 25, making a collaboration at this year’s Halloween show unlikely. Phish will perform on Halloween for the first time since 2010 in Atlantic City, NJ this year.

Your prayers have been answered, Moss! How about Carini? Easy as hell to learn, hard-rockin' Phish. Let us know what you think of this.

I never actually looped back on this.  We ended up doing "Down with disease" by request and it went over huge. Personally I would have picked Carini or one of the other ones mentioned but we are planning to add a few more so thanks for the ideas.

I never actually looped back on this.  We ended up doing "Down with disease" by request and it went over huge. Personally I would have picked Carini or one of the other ones mentioned but we are planning to add a few more so thanks for the ideas.

My old band from high school used to play Down with Disease! 

In addition to those already mentioned here, if you're still looking for recommendations, I'd also suggest listening to and taking a crack at "Free," "Character Zero" or "Prince Caspian" from Billy Breathes"Farmhouse," Back on the Train" and "Heavy Things" from Farmhouse, "Roggae" from Story of the Ghost and "Kill Devil Falls" from Joy.

• 7 months later...

Woohoo--I just won the Phish lottery for Portsmouth, VA on July 29 and 30. I put in my request for these two nights via their lottery system and just saw the debit charge come through on my bank account this morning. 

I'm not such a fan (phan, right?) that I would go far to see them, but a 2-night stand in a small, 7500 capacity outdoor venue in the  summertime right in my backyard--hell yes!

This will be right after Newport, so it looks like July will be filled with good music!!   :bounce8

Woohoo--I just won the Phish lottery for Portsmouth, VA on July 29 and 30. I put in my request for these two nights via their lottery system and just saw the debit charge come through on my bank account this morning. 

I'm not such a fan (phan, right?) that I would go far to see them, but a 2-night stand in a small, 7500 capacity outdoor venue in the  summertime right in my backyard--hell yes!

This will be right after Newport, so it looks like July will be filled with good music!!   :bounce8

Small venue!  Two nights.  Great news!  My prediction: you will be more of a Phan by the closing notes of the second night encore.

Wilco Me. That's one thing about living in Central Va. Phish either plays there or Hampton every year and its always epique :) You are gonna have a blast and you wont see them at a smaller venue. They will blow the roof off of that place.

I just wish Wilco would bring it back to Charlottesville!!

• 11 months later...

I got an email, stating that Phish will be doing a three day fest again this year --- as per usual, the Fest website is pretty funny. My friends use to go to all their fests in the 90's, I think the last one they went to was Big Cypress  - I never did make one.

http://phish.com/magnaball/

These events are not designed for pets, and most pets prefer studio recordings anyway.

• 1 month later...

I've been watching some of the full shows (from the original live ppv) on youtube this week from last summer. Watched the SPAC 4th of July last night, a Merriweather, and a Dick's. Some excellent stuff and glad people can re-visit these excellently recorded/videoed shows.

• 3 weeks later...