Since Fare Thee Well, I've been getting back into Phish a bit.  Was a huge follower in the 90s.  Just not interested since the first break up.  I have been checking out some of the more recent shows on youtube and I kind of like this more mellow era of the band.  The fugues are a rarity, the jamming is more grooves than solos, no more build ups etc.  The band seems to be having fun and just taking it easy.  One issue is that Trey could give two shits about playing 'parts' of old songs right.  He definitely wants to just play vamps and licks here and there.  And if parts are played right, Trey is so soft and hesitant.  If my kids get into them, I'll go to a show, but I'd rather couch it.  The band and I are not in our 20s anymore.  It's scary how time passes.  Seemed like we had the world at our disposal with Phish in the 90s.  A band in their heyday that played tons of shows so close together with so much energy, enthusiasm and showmanship.  I miss it sometimes.

• Replies 902
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last weekend, out of the blue, my wife ask me if we should go up to Alpine and see Phish - which took me by surprise. After discussing it we decided not to - but definitely will get the webcast - if available. 

I listened to a recording of the recent LA Forum show yesterday - it definitely held my interest throughout.

The phish shows I've seen since 2009 have been as good as any of their shows I've seen since 1998, and as consistently good as they've been since 1995. The band has changed a lot over the years so I can understand they may not appeal to some people anymore. These days, I enjoy their unique sound, huge catalog of songs, and unmatched energy. The lengthy jams, technical precision, and spontaneity have lessened but are still there. 

The last show I saw was Saturday in L.A. It was a party crowd, so the band matched the mood. It did feature a YEM encore with some mind-boggling interplay between Trey and Mike: Trey's guitar over Mike's chest, both with a hand on the bass and guitar, playing both simultaneously. Completely off the cuff, and not just a gimmick, musically it was stunning. There is no other band that can do that. Check the video: https://youtu.be/5mK05T5cYdE

Other recent shows I've attended include the Halloween show in Vegas, which I believe featured one of their most innovative performances. And also the Tahoe Tweezer show, which is up there with one of the best jams they've ever done.

I suppose some people don't like how the band has changed, and I can't tell them they're wrong. But as the band has changed I've changed too, and this current version of Phish matches where I'm at pretty well.  

Why do we put up with bands that quit caring?  This would never fly in jazz or classical.  Maybe rock really is the illegitemate step son of trained, gifted musical endevours.  I'm really getting tired of it.  No wonder so many rockers end up jazz heads.  Even if the music isn't engaging, at least it's listenable and played well.  Not to mention stellar produciton and mastering.

I'm listening to dub these days.  Went to Phish last Friday night and people were just fooling themselves that they were seeing some great band.  What they saw was a band that is a mere shadow of what it once was.  Not good or bad, but defnitely a run of the mill groove band.  Nothing remotely exciting.  Just songs with vamps and guitar squeaks at the end.

Off to listen to my new interest, dub!

Why do we put up with bands that quit caring?  This would never fly in jazz or classical.  Maybe rock really is the illegitemate step son of trained, gifted musical endevours.  I'm really getting tired of it.  No wonder so many rockers end up jazz heads.  Even if the music isn't engaging, at least it's listenable and played well.  Not to mention stellar produciton and mastering.

I'm listening to dub these days.  Went to Phish last Friday night and people were just fooling themselves that they were seeing some great band.  What they saw was a band that is a mere shadow of what it once was.  Not good or bad, but defnitely a run of the mill groove band.  Nothing remotely exciting.  Just songs with vamps and guitar squeaks at the end.

Well, thanks for clearing that up for me.  I won't get fooled again.

Why do we put up with bands that quit caring? This would never fly in jazz or classical.

Probably roughly the same logic as to why we put up with thread trolls: some things you can't control, so better to just accept them.

I've been listening to/watching most of the current tour and disagree. First, I don't understand how someone could fool themselves into liking something they like or perceive as "great". While current Phish attacks most tunes a little differently, I don't see it as them being a "mere shadow" of what they were, nor do I see them as a "run of the mill" band. The "Weekapaug" last night, alone, speaks volumes to this. While I don't like a few of the new tunes they've been debuting, there are several that fit in as if they are well-seasoned regulars. The band is obviously having fun and they are playing top-notch, imo.

While they don't shred up every version of every tune, and seem to waver in intensity more so than, say, peak 90s years, this band is excellent, exciting, and a pleasure to listen to and watch .I'm sure I am not fooling myself when I listen/watch, as well.

FWIW, I've heard from several people who disliked Phish (for whetever reasons) but have since given them a chance since the FTW shows and all have nothing but positive things to say about seeing them live and/or watching streams....To each their own and all that.

there are not enough eyerolls in the universe.

and i don't even like Phish.

Wow. A troll? Really? Even comments from non-fans?

Well, maybe I'm trying to fool myself into liking Phish again.

Phish is different now. To me they are no longer the force they once were. I wish they were. I know posting negative opinions is a troll move though.

I do think bands losing their virtuosity, for whatever reason, would be an interesting discussion. Especially rock to jazz. When you go see Wilco you're gonna see a very tight band that always nails it, with few exceptions. Different beasts I guess.

Superior in what way, though? I'm not questioning the force that is The Stooges by any means, but it's not a competition. I find it a bit inane to even compare the two as they are two completely separate entities, each with their own merits. Or to compare the "superiority" of any two bands, for that matter.

Wow. A troll? Really? Even comments from non-fans?

Well, maybe I'm trying to fool myself into liking Phish again.

Phish is different now. To me they are no longer the force they once were. I wish they were. I know posting negative opinions is a troll move though.

I do think bands losing their virtuosity, for whatever reason, would be an interesting discussion. Especially rock to jazz. When you go see Wilco you're gonna see a very tight band that always nails it, with few exceptions. Different beasts I guess.

I gave a pretty clear explanation of why I like this version of Phish, with the "agree to disagree" caveat that I understand it may not appeal to everyone. Either you can't read, or you're so self-absorbed you replied that I, and others like me, are fooling ourselves. So, you basically called us fools. I've seen this behavior from you in other threads, and am pretty confident in my intellectual ability relative to yours, let alone musical knowledge and taste. So maybe you should just stop posting for a while. In other words, pound sand troll.

I gave a pretty clear explanation of why I like this version of Phish, with the "agree to disagree" caveat that I understand it may not appeal to everyone. Either you can't read, or you're so self-absorbed you replied that I, and others like me, are fooling ourselves. So, you basically called us fools. I've seen this behavior from you in other threads, and am pretty confident in my intellectual ability relative to yours, let alone musical knowledge and taste. So maybe you should just stop posting for a while. In other words, pound sand troll.

Well, if you took that personally...I wasn't even responding to your excellent cogent statement above. Is that misuderstanding and your bevy of evidence that my 'behavior' in other threads is grounds for calling me a troll? Where is this evidence of my behavior anyway?

Everyone has negative or perceived to be negative posts here. No innocents. Reactionary, yes.

The 'fool' example clearly wasn't intended at people on this board as I was talking about folks at a recent show. Also, after some thought I realized and said as much that I was the sad fool who couldn't get back on the train. I ended up calling myself the fool.

I've actually been having a great conversation off list about our opinions on Phish, so my comments can't be that inflammatory. Half of it was sarcastic anyway. I thought that was pretty clear with the 'dub' talk.

Anyway, I think the comments above about the Stooges point to what I was trying to get across.

Well, if you took that personally...I wasn't even responding to your excellent cogent statement above. Is that misuderstanding and your bevy of evidence that my 'behavior' in other threads is grounds for calling me a troll? Where is this evidence of my behavior anyway?

Everyone has negative or perceived to be negative posts here. No innocents. Reactionary, yes.

The 'fool' example clearly wasn't intended at people on this board as I was talking about folks at a recent show. Also, after some thought I realized and said as much that I was the sad fool who couldn't get back on the train. I ended up calling myself the fool.

I've actually been having a great conversation off list about our opinions on Phish, so my comments can't be that inflammatory. Half of it was sarcastic anyway. I thought that was pretty clear with the 'dub' talk.

Anyway, I think the comments above about the Stooges point to what I was trying to get across.

You obviously don't get that referring to anyone as a "fool" for liking a band or a particular show, whether someone on this board or not, is a total asshole move.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You obviously don't get that referring to anyone as a "fool" for liking a band or a particular show, whether someone on this board or not, is a total asshole move.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can't take care of you guys anymore.