What's the lodging situation?

I'm not camping anymore. First time we stayed at a hotel in Lynchburg ( or wherever Falwell's Liberty University is), last year we stayed in a bnb about 5 miles from the site, which was definitely much better. I don't remember the name, I assume they are booked by now. I can research and get you the name if interested.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 902
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Very quiet topic with Phish on the road. Anyone catching any shows? I've seen some pro shot vids, and what I've been reading sounds like the shows have been great. I'm seeing the Mansfield show on Friday.

I haven't seen one in person - Deer Creek was out due to a couple of legit reasons (surgery the week before, etc.) - but I have listened to most of the shows from streaming. Even on a so-so night it's still better than anything around. And I would include Wilco AND "The Dead" in that statement, sorry!

The Wrigley shows were very fun. Some nice song choices, kinda short on the jams. Highlights were the encores - Space Oddity (a capella, debut), and I am the Walrus. 

Overall seems this tour has been kinda lackluster until the past 3 shows starting Friday night. Finally starting to stretch out and shake things up a bit. 

Taking my kids to see the Chula Vista show in 2 weeks. Should be a bit different perspective.

My wife and I were at the Great Woods show Friday. We had a blast! First off, I am always struck by the level of sheer joy at a Phish show. When the band comes out and hits that first note, the room/venue just bursts with happiness and dancing and pure bliss. It truly is "the happiest place on earth" at that moment and the next few hours. There is nothing I experience like that at any other show. 

Moving on, we thought the show was great, although losing the PA during the intense second set was a huge buzzkill.  Despite reviews to the contrary, I thought the band recovered nicely with Chalkdust and through the rest of the second set and I Am the Walrus encore. But bummer for all those people out on the lawn, the PA never came back on out there. A major calamity. Second set opening sequence of Ghost>Light>Wolfman's was right up my alley, the band was smoking through all of that, and then the PA went out. 

First set had lots of highlights, including Gin (always love a Gin) Cities and the a Capella Space Oddity. 

Wish I was able to go to Hartford the next night, but I was glad to have been at Great Woods.

I listened to saratoga.  Yikes!  Very touch and go.  Some fun moments though and they've definitely create a nice, fun vibe.

Saying they play better than Wilco?!  Wilco is a well-oiled machine :P

• 2 weeks later...

Ridiculous 1st set last night from Bill Graham Civic Aud. Seek it out if you missed out.....

Also, Fishman and Page (AND Joe Russo on drums), as well, along with Infamous Stringdusters make up of P&F 1st night Lockn..

CRB are the friends night 2..

Ridiculous 1st set last night from Bill Graham Civic Aud. Seek it out if you missed out.....

Also, Fishman and Page (AND Joe Russo on drums), as well, along with Infamous Stringdusters make up of P&F 1st night Lockn..

CRB are the friends night 2..

Yeah, Phish 2 nights also. And I chose this year not to go. Too bad.

• 4 weeks later...

Pitchfork article on Phish being the founding fathers of the American Music Fest scene:

http://pitchfork.com/features/from-the-pitchfork-review/9929-phish-shreds-america-how-the-jam-band-anticipated-modern-festival-culture/

I'm generally not a fan of music fests, particularly the big ones, for many reasons. I think part of what makes Phish fests so successful and superior is that it is just one band and one fanbase. Everyone is focused on the same thing, has a shared background/interest, and has more of a communal experience. Also, Phish is just better live than most other bands in these settings. 

• 3 weeks later...

It's clear weather here for the Phish Dick's....

Awesome!  I hope to be tuning in.

One of my concert bucket list items: Wilco in Chicago; any show at Red Rocks and Phish at Dick's

Now that my son is living in Boulder, I should be able to get to ## 2 and 3.  Had hopes to get to RR a couple of weeks ago when we were out there but our schedule did not permit.

Just passed my 20th anniversary of 5 consecutive nights at Red Rocks: Allmans first night, with Page sitting in, followed by 4 nights of Phish. Probably my peak concert streak.

That's a nice run for sure!

Just passed my 20th anniversary of 5 consecutive nights at Red Rocks: Allmans first night, with Page sitting in, followed by 4 nights of Phish. Probably my peak concert streak.

I seriously have no idea how many times I've seen Phish.  Never saw Red Rocks though.  

Lost track at 50 in 1998. Over 100 for sure now. 

I think I'm just under 80.  Seeing them so much in small venues in the early days just messed up any sort of count.

BTW, last night's Dick's show was excellent.  Nice mix of all versions of the band...1.0 etc.  Definitely an x factor show.  Was't planning on it, but might hit both Atlanta shows in the fall.  Love fall tours.

Tonight's first set from Dick's is absolutely killing it #couchtour

And the 2nd set was even better! I watched the stream on Friday with friends over and went to Sat and Sunday shows. Didn't get tix on Sunday but sat outside the main (open) door area at a table with friends to listen. Great sound, believe it or not, outside the venue, too. Lot beer was cheaper, as well, than stadium beer.,