And the 2nd set was even better! I watched the stream on Friday with friends over and went to Sat and Sunday shows. Didn't get tix on Sunday but sat outside the main (open) door area at a table with friends to listen. Great sound, believe it or not, outside the venue, too. Lot beer was cheaper, as well, than stadium beer.,

I watched the first set live Sunday, and then watched the second set last night. What a great show! Awesome set list (for me), great show to close out the run. Trey was into that First Tube, for sure, see if you find a video of that. 

• Replies 902
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched the first set live Sunday, and then watched the second set last night. What a great show! Awesome set list (for me), great show to close out the run. Trey was into that First Tube, for sure, see if you find a video of that. 

I watched a video, specifically and only, of the First Tube last night. Even better than the Lockin one last week.,.....

I really don't get the whole type I, II jam thing.  Anyone?

Best explained here, imo:

http://blog.phish.net/1311714510/revisiting-jamming-types

But the simplified version is here:

http://www.ohkeepahblog.com/2011/07/phish-jamming-types-101.html

Basically, Type I= standard jam , Type II delves outside a standard jam....

Best explained here, imo:

http://blog.phish.net/1311714510/revisiting-jamming-types

But the simplified version is here:

http://www.ohkeepahblog.com/2011/07/phish-jamming-types-101.html

Basically, Type I= standard jam , Type II delves outside a standard jam....

thanks.  i thought maybe it had to do with the different eras of phish.  1.0 etc.  To me it seems that 1.0 was characterized by tension release jams of high energy and visceral response from the crowd.  2.0 and 3.0 is more basic solos and type 2 stuff rather than those old Trey smiling at the crowd as he raises the energy on Maze or DWD.

• 2 weeks later...

Man, the new Phish album is dreadful. Easily my least favorite. I liked Fuego a lot. Not much good here, particularly the lyrics. I never minded the non-nonsensical goofy lyrics before, they were impressionistic and more about how they sounded than what they meant. Phish is not good at being mature and emotionally direct. That's just scratching the surface on what is wrong here. Can't really muster the strength to get any more in depth with it. A few of the songs are likely ok live in the context of their stronger material, but taken together it is painful. Anyone else hear it yet?

Man, the new Phish album is dreadful. Easily my least favorite. I liked Fuego a lot. Not much good here, particularly the lyrics. I never minded the non-nonsensical goofy lyrics before, they were impressionistic and more about how they sounded than what they meant. Phish is not good at being mature and emotionally direct. That's just scratching the surface on what is wrong here. Can't really muster the strength to get any more in depth with it. A few of the songs are likely ok live in the context of their stronger material, but taken together it is painful. Anyone else hear it yet?

Just "Breath and Burning"  (it's ok) and "Miss You" (bah!) both of which they played this summer. I like "Blaze On " a lot live, too, but haven't heard the album version.

Miss You might actually be my favorite. Generally dislike tender moments with Trey, but I connected with that song, cool melody, although gets cringe-worthy when Trey goes for the high notes in the second half of the verses. 

Breath and Burning fits in more with his adult contemporary solo band stuff. I think there is a line in there about turtles pulling their heads back in their shell. 

Blaze on is fun live, but generic New Orleans tune, with awful lyrics again.

I feel like this album may be some elaborate trick with a treat coming on Halloween. Probably wishful thinking. 

Yes, Big Boat is pretty bad.  Slick production and forgettable, MOR songs.  The horns and strings don't help either.  I commend them for an attempt at a longer composed song at the end, but man what a let down.  What happened to these dudes?  Trey can write a mid tempo pop song in his sleep.  They just keep coming.

The album as a trick?  Mmm.

Ezrin did Fuego too, and I enjoyed that. Trey has said Ezrin pushed them to go deeper, find out what makes them tick, etc. So it seems they ended up trying to make a meaningful album, which gets away from their strong suit, making meaningless music on which people can project or lose themselves. That's just part of the issue. Themes seem to be about mortality, relationships, spirituality, but they don't have anything interesting to say about it - just unintentionally goofy. 

I am actually am not very familiar with Phish outside of a few songs I like. I watch live videos from time to time. I think the only album I have is the Slip, Stitch and Pass live album. I have read more about the band than listened to them.

Ezrin did Fuego too, and I enjoyed that. Trey has said Ezrin pushed them to go deeper, find out what makes them tick, etc. So it seems they ended up trying to make a meaningful album, which gets away from their strong suit, making meaningless music on which people can project or lose themselves. That's just part of the issue. Themes seem to be about mortality, relationships, spirituality, but they don't have anything interesting to say about it - just unintentionally goofy. 

Good points. They could easily make Phish an outlet for fun in their middle age contemplation of mortality.  My hunch is that they're exhausted.  I know I would be if I was still playing songs from my college band at this age.  Really too bad about the album though.  Adding horns and strings is never a good idea IMHO. Some of the tunes would've been better without it.  BTW, I knew it was gonna be a rough ride by the first song.  The singing?  What's up with that?  The album would've been a lot more fun if they'd done Mercury and Steam.

My hunch is that they're exhausted.  I know I would be if I was still playing songs from my college band at this age.  ong.  The singing?  What's up with that?  The album would've been a lot more fun if they'd done Mercury and Steam.

Have to take umbrage with this. The band. live, is as good as they have ever been (hi '97!), imo. The (Other Band They Are Often Compared To) played a lot of their tunes from their "college" days,too, if you will, Their whole career from '65-95. Phish (much like another band I'm fond of) don't shine in the studio. Their lyrics, for the most part, have typically been inane, often childish. Nobody goes to see Phish for their lyrics, though.I honestly don't see exhaustion, but a really. really fun and exhuberant time they are in.....

Have to take umbrage with this. The band. live, is as good as they have ever been (hi '97!), imo. The (Other Band They Are Often Compared To) played a lot of their tunes from their "college" days,too, if you will, Their whole career from '65-95. Phish (much like another band I'm fond of) don't shine in the studio. Their lyrics, for the most part, have typically been inane, often childish. Nobody goes to see Phish for their lyrics, though.I honestly don't see exhaustion, but a really. really fun and exhuberant time they are in.....

With the exception of Lockn and Dick's, this was a pretty terrible summer tour. Worst since they've been back. I've found all the other tours pretty exciting. The jams, spontaneity, and creativity were absent. Some fun shows, but none were special. I can't speculate it is due to being tired, but something was off. I miss the inane lyrics. Now they're trying to be sincere, and generally failing, or at least failing to emote. The Dead had some pretty terrible tours those final years too. I think Phish will bounce back. I never expect great albums from them, but have enjoyed most in the past, and usually enjoy most songs even if it doesn't translate in studio. This album is a collection of their worst tendencies, and feels like a shift in identity to more mature, generic rock. 

The album has been available on various phish message boards since Saturday.

I was just hoping for some good songs. I'm long past hoping for a Rift. Fuego and Joy had some good tunes. Maybe I'll warm up to this. Dick's night 3 was great. Never bought a show until that one. Going to second night Atlanta.

Watching the first night of Magnaball.  Pretty good.  The band does very well sticking with the funky jam stuff rather than the more composed stuff.  Trey isn't so concerned with visceral rock out solos as much as basic compelling solos only he can do. Dare I say, it's akin to Garcia who focused on playing melodies with emotion rather than 'crushing it' :-)

I'm planning on going to one night in Atlanta.  May go two.  Hoping to get a cheaper lawn seat in the lot.  That's what I've done the last few times.  In addition, I'm also compelled to go back and listen to Big Boat again.  Can it be that bad?  :-)

Edit: I wish Trey would ramp up and actually play the solo in Rift.  That's the centerpiece of the whole damn song.

Stream the album at NPR:

http://www.npr.org/2016/09/29/495514341/first-listen-phish-big-boat#

Seems there are some phish fans that really like it. I'm still not in that group. 

yeah, i've been lurking the various phish forums and some people really like it.  maybe younger fans?  glad they're enjoying it.  Blaze On isn't that bad.  Opening with a Fish tune about God is a big misstep.  Incidentally, some of those phish forums are awful.  reddit isn't too bad.  there's all this phish vocabulary that has developed over the last 20 years that i've really missed out on.

also, incidentally, that first mike album with leo kotke holds up.  love hearing mike's bass so clearly.

also, incidentally, that first mike album with leo kotke holds up.  love hearing mike's bass so clearly.

I think I've only heard that one once. the second one with Kottke is decent. I particularly like the covers of "Ya Mar" and "Sweet Emotion."