• Replies 902
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listening to the new Phish streaming on NPR.  A few songs in, and not impressed. Love seeing this band live and I will always take every opportunity to see them, but these songs seem pretty pathetic at first listen. Particularly the lyrics. That opening Fishman tune is embarrassing. The lyrics matter less at a Phish show, its the playing and the infectious joy in the crowd. But on record, can't escape how bad these lyrics are.  

Listening to the new Phish streaming on NPR.  A few songs in, and not impressed. Love seeing this band live and I will always take every opportunity to see them, but these songs seem pretty pathetic at first listen. Particularly the lyrics. That opening Fishman tune is embarrassing. The lyrics matter less at a Phish show, its the playing and the infectious joy in the crowd. But on record, can't escape how bad these lyrics are.  

Agree on this. Flat, boring, unnecessary. Blaze On, which can really smoke live, sounds like a Sesame Street tune on the album. 

ed. Though I did appreciate the "play it LEO!!" before Page's solo from the studio....

Agree on this. Flat, boring, unnecessary. Blaze On, which can really smoke live, sounds like a Sesame Street tune on the album. 

ed. Though I did appreciate the "play it LEO!!" before Page's solo from the studio....

Blaze On, and a few other tunes, are like Jimmy Buffet. Feels like pandering to a retarded fan base, of which I am admittedly a part of.

Love Deaner, and agree that phish's delay in start time was a buzzkill, at least watching from home. Like most of his rants, half-true, half-coked out talking out his ass. Great guy, and Ween put on great shows at Lockn. But a lot of Phish fans are Ween fans, and vice versa. I think what he's saying is that its better to be the headliner than the opener - it's dark, you have the crowd's attention. But Deaner likes attention, so he's gotta talk some shit. Anyway, latest news from Deaner is his priceless guitar was stolen. Bummer, don't fuck with Trey.

Pitchfork review. Some highlights (or should that be lowlights :) )

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/22451-big-boat/

"Big Boat is at times overwrought and half-assed, gratingly silly and embarrassingly self-serious, both tedious and underwhelming. In other words, it’s a new Phish album. "

"In “Friends,” the dumb-as-rocks, vaguely triumphant opening number, drummer Jon Fishman forecasts the coming of the Lord, descending upon the Earth in “some fiery fashion.”"

"Even still, the lowest points of Big Boat manage to sink lower than just being bad-for-Phish; Big Boat is made even worse by not sounding enough like Phish."

"If Phish were to embrace their unique position in the industry, one could imagine them penning albums that were, if not definitive, then at least approaching coherence, like modern-day Wilco, or Phish tourmates Ween."

"Big Boat is another failure in a discography full of them. Without a unifying identity, it whiffs on nearly every statement it tries to make. "

At least they throw a bone to Billy Breathes...

"If you love Phish, the release of a solid studio album has likely never been a requirement to stay onboard, even when their releases were fun and relatively consistent, like 1996’s Billy Breathes."

^ Pitchfork, for a change, pretty much nailed it with the new album. I'm not sure I would have gone back as far as Billy Breathes to cite consistency, though, as Farmhouse is very consistent and solid and all of the albums since Billy Breathes, imo, contain enough solid material to not be throw-away albums.

Pitchfork review. Some highlights (or should that be lowlights :) )

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/22451-big-boat/

"Big Boat is at times overwrought and half-assed, gratingly silly and embarrassingly self-serious, both tedious and underwhelming. In other words, it’s a new Phish album. "

"In “Friends,” the dumb-as-rocks, vaguely triumphant opening number, drummer Jon Fishman forecasts the coming of the Lord, descending upon the Earth in “some fiery fashion.”"

"Even still, the lowest points of Big Boat manage to sink lower than just being bad-for-Phish; Big Boat is made even worse by not sounding enough like Phish."

"If Phish were to embrace their unique position in the industry, one could imagine them penning albums that were, if not definitive, then at least approaching coherence, like modern-day Wilco, or Phish tourmates Ween."

"Big Boat is another failure in a discography full of them. Without a unifying identity, it whiffs on nearly every statement it tries to make. "

At least they throw a bone to Billy Breathes...

"If you love Phish, the release of a solid studio album has likely never been a requirement to stay onboard, even when their releases were fun and relatively consistent, like 1996’s Billy Breathes."

Yikes. That new album is bad. Listened in full and cannot imagine ever returning to it.

Having amassed an absurd amount of live phish shows, I very rarely put on one of their studio albums. If I do, it's only every Billy Breathes or Hoist. I'm not sure how the die-hards view Hoist, but I have a soft spot for that one.

You goes don't like Farmhouse? That thing is all the way through, imo (a bunch some concert staples lasted from it) . And, although I only listened to it a few times when it came out, I like  Fuego, too.

Yikes. That new album is bad. Listened in full and cannot imagine ever returning to it.

Having amassed an absurd amount of live phish shows, I very rarely put on one of their studio albums. If I do, it's only every Billy Breathes or Hoist. I'm not sure how the die-hards view Hoist, but I have a soft spot for that one.

Hoist and Billy Breathes are the 2 studio albums that do the most for me. Other than those 2, 99% of my Phish listening is live shows. Probably like most Phish fans.

Rift and Junta are my favorites.   I bought the HD download of Junta last year - it does sound great.

It must have been 90 or 91 when a friend gave me dubbed copy of Junta - played the hell of the tape.

I stopped going to shows in 98 - than started listening and seeing them again in 2013.

Pretty similar. Saw shows from '87-'96 or '97, then none until they started playing Dick's (2011?).

It was a shorter run of seeing them for me, 94-98. Had tickets for a 4 night run in November, 98  (Madison, WI and 3 in Chicago); on the morning of the 4th show,  I gave my ticket to my friend who I was going to the shows with. Don't remember exactly why, but I guess I had enough.

My friend traded my ticket for some decent smoke in the lot, so he was happy.

It was a shorter run of seeing them for me, 94-98. Had tickets for a 4 night run in November, 98  (Madison, WI and 3 in Chicago); on the morning of the 4th show,  I gave my ticket to my friend who I was going to the shows with. Don't remember exactly why, but I guess I had enough.

My friend traded my ticket for some decent smoke in the lot, so he was happy.

Third night of UIC was the best of the run. First night was not real good.