Zooey Deschanel and M. Ward = She & Him

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't figure out what she was looking at the entire time. She did seems nervous especially at first but I guess you can't blame someone for that since she's very new at this stuff.

Aside from the piano playing, Yo La Tengo's participation didn't serve any purpose at all.

I'm on the fence with this cd. I've only heard two full songs and part of a third song. I want to like it, but I think I'm going to be mostly disappointed when I finally hear the whole thing.

Aside from the piano playing, Yo La Tengo's participation didn't serve any purpose at all.

I'm on the fence with this cd. I want to like it, but I think I'm going to be mostly disappointed.

really?? Georgia's drumming was fantastic i thought, and James added as well.

having seen She & Him w/ their full band at SXSW, i can say that YLT added a much needed energy

Just not enough energy to overcome Zooey's wrong-place-at-the-wrong-time persona.

eh, her voice sounded very good on it i thought...

considering she's probably at maybe performance #10 w/ She & Him, or just under, i'll cut her stage presence some slack for now

really?? Georgia's drumming was fantastic i thought, and James added as well.

having seen She & Him w/ their full band at SXSW, i can say that YLT added a much needed energy

I had not seen them perform before, so I have no basis for comparison. I'm not making a judgment call on the quality of anyone's playing. They all played well. I'm just saying that all the bases were covered by the non-YLT musicians on stage (except the piano). I think they would have been just as good without Georgia and whoever that other guy is.

As for her stage presence, I can't understand why she still appears so stiff and frightened on stage. She's been singing in a music group in LA for several years. Seems like she'd know how to work a stage a little better. Maybe it's an act.

Forget the stage presence, was she pitchy dawg?

Here's the video. I love love love the CD to death, but here you can almost hear her thinking "Remember to smile!" Zooey loosened up considerably between the Parish show and the Press Here show in Austin, but she's got a ways to go connecting with the audience. Like Jason Lee described his duties as Stillwater frontman in "Almost Famous" - one of her movies: "I focus on the one guy who's not getting off and I make him get off!"

Merge is streaming the whole album here.

Looked like Z got the message to show more personality, so she had this kind of pasted smile on her face when she wasn't singing. Not phony, just not very natural.

Yeah, she looked awfully deer/fembot-in-the-headlights during last night's performance. And that song's not one of my favorites; I think it makes her sound like a Patsy Cline ripoff, and her voice is honestly a lot better than what she displayed last night.

I liked that camera angle they were using with both Zooey and Georgia, since they are two of my very favorite ladies :)

Aren't She & Him playing the Newport Folk Festival?

Here's a bunch of pictures from the Webster Hall show. Apparently Zooey held up signs in lieu of banter to preserve her voice, which gave out the day before. She's lucky she's so adorable or this adorable stuff would be just too adorable.

She is adorable. Also, looks like she should have played June Carter Cash in "Walk the Line". Reese did a nice job but this is a better fit possibly.