Zooey Deschanel and M. Ward = She & Him

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am the only won who is totally in love with this album? Zooey's voice, M's production. This is one of my fav albums this year (so far).

BTW I really don't like M. Ward (as Solace well knows).

it's a good album, much better than expected for sure, but def not top 10 on the year for me anymore (top 15-20 tho still)

solid 7-7.5/10

as far as actresses turned musician albums go:

Jenny Lewis > Zooey >>>> Minnie Driver >>>>>>>> Scarlett

as far as actresses turned musician albums go:

Jenny Lewis > Zooey >>>> Minnie Driver >>>>>>>> Scarlett

I concur; however can you really call Jenny an actress? She hasn't really acted in anything since 2000. Really by that logic, you'd have to put in Alanis Morissette in there. And do we really want to go down that road.

I concur; however can you really call Jenny an actress? She hasn't really acted in anything since 2000. Really by that logic, you'd have to put in Alanis Morissette in there. And do we really want to go down that road.

true... true...

who buys an album before hearing it in 2008? :stunned

I do, and I do it more than I don't. I'm by no means a Luddite or anything... I just enjoy buying something (whether in a store or online) and being completely surprised by the contents. I don't know why, exactly, but I always feel more attentive to, and invested in, the music when I've paid money to hear it. The sense of ownership, and the corresponding investment, is part of the overall pleasure for me. (I'll concede that this is a luxury that I have been able to afford only in recent years.)

I'll be at the Chicago show. It's only $20 or so. Couldn't resist.

"only"? that's kind of spendy for a band with one record out who will play no longer than like 60 minutes...

their show is $15 here

Heh. "Spendy".

I'd probably pay $20 for an M. Ward solo show, and Zooey's dreamy vocals are a bonus. Do you really think it'll only be an hour? I bet they'll throw a few covers in...90 minutes, for sure.

oh i'd pay $35 for M. Ward solo, but i've seen She & Him and trust me, while enjoyable, it's not worth a lot of $$, even with Matt's inclusion (his presence is somewhat subtle compared to his solo shows)

they'll do some covers, but no way they play 90 minutes, unless Matt does a short solo set. the record is only what, 35-40 minutes or something?

it'll be 65-70 minutes tops i'm thinking, maybe even just right at an hour

as for "spendy", maybe it differs a lot in Chicago, but i rarely pay more than $12-15 for shows here, even bigger names. maybe once or twice a month that i spend $20+ on a show, and i see around a dozen a month.

Thanks - I saw them earlier this year, so I know what I'm getting into ;)

I'd say $10- $15 is the norm here for smaller shows, but Zooey has teh star power - so I'm sure they're charging more based on that.

How long have the other shows been? I think there were a few one-off dates in NY and LA earlier this year...hmm...care to make it interesting? :lol

• 4 weeks later...

Just heard my first S & H song: I Should Have Known Better (Beatles cover).

Very entertaining. Love that line it walks between Hawaiian and Country (all good country has a little Hawaiian).

Who'd a thunk it?

Okay, I'm all for this duo. I haven't listened to it much, but I LOVE her voice and am not opposed to M. Ward, per se. I am also all for poetic license...but their name flouts everything I hold dear as a Grammar Nazi. "She" and "Him" are in the subjective and objective cases, respectively. One wouldn't say, "Him went to the store." Grrrrr. I know, I know. I'm being SUPER SUPER anal...it's just one of my pet peeves and I wondered if there weren't any other folks that are irritated by this egregious misuse of the English language. At this point I shall step off of my soap box and return to my beer. Thank you.