Zooey Deschanel and M. Ward = She & Him

"She" and "Him" are in the subjective and objective cases, respectively. One wouldn't say, "Him went to the store." Grrrrr. I know, I know. I'm being SUPER SUPER anal...it's just one of my pet peeves and I wondered if there weren't any other folks that are irritated by this egregious misuse of the English language. At this point I shall step off of my soap box and return to my beer. Thank you.

Also, beetles are spelled beetles not Beatles. GOD IS THAT ANNOYING@!@Q!Q!!!!@!!!~

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at their sold out show last night at the Cat's Cradle in Carrboro. It was a great deal of fun, and quite a departure from the traditional "rock" shows I frequent. No doubt about it, nearly everyone in the room was enamored with Z. I think there actually may have been more women at that show than men, which was refreshing.

What wasn't refreshing was the crowd compression as the show started, but that's with any GA show.

They pretty much played the entire album. There were a couple of covers, one was by Joni Mitchell, the other I don't know. They also performed a new song that Zooey had written a couple weeks back that was really good. Her back-up singer Becky also contributed a song that she wrote, but to be honest, I thought it was a touch weak. The second to last song of the night was the M. Ward penned "Magic Trick" which was loads of fun. For the final song, the opening band Freakwater joined them onstage for something, but I didn't recognize it. I'm not a big fan of bringing everyone out on stage at the end. It's hit or miss.

All in all a great feel-good show. Me and my friend had a blast and gladly traded the lost sleep for the good time.

Kevin

Just saw 'em in Columbus and all I can say is Wow, Z's sure come a loooooong way. From the terrified novice at SXSW to (almost) a seasoned performer who actually appears to be enjoying herself (jumping around, clapping). Engaging, even. And the way she belted on "I Put A Spell On You"!

Of course, she is coming off her first high-profile bomb with The Happening. Perhaps that spurred her to work on her stage persona. Or perhaps I'm being a cynical a-hole.

Just saw 'em in Columbus and all I can say is Wow, Z's sure come a loooooong way. From the terrified novice at SXSW to (almost) a seasoned performer who actually appears to be enjoying herself (jumping around, clapping). Engaging, even. And the way she belted on "I Put A Spell On You"!

Of course, she is coming off her first high-profile bomb with The Happening. Perhaps that spurred her to work on her stage persona. Or perhaps I'm being a cynical a-hole.

I was there last night too. Her voice was so incredibly huge and beautiful and that cover was incredible. Gave me chills.

New video here. WARNING: Features shootings, an ax murder, decapitations and a corpse being consumed by vultures.

As much as I adore her in 'Elf' and 'Almost Famous', I never had the desire to open this thread until tonight. Not sure why...

I don't know if this song/video is a-typical of their catalogue but I thought it was great. Cute and upbeat :thumbup

She & Him on this week's Sound Opinions

Actress and singer Zooey Deschanel and musician M. Ward of the duo She & Him sit down with Jim and Greg for a conversation and live performance. Plus, our hosts look back at some of the hits and misses of other Hollywood rockers and review the new album from international electro-rockers Brazilian Girls.
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...