• 1 year later...

Interview with Richard Lloyd, ex of Television. He's touring with his new band. http://www.nj.com/entertainment/music/inde...st_wants_t.html

I found this part interesting:

Q: Regarding Television, is there any possibility of more projects?

A: No, I quit Television. That's it. Legally they can continue. And they did. They did a show without me (in 2007) at Central Park, because I was in the hospital. Tom used (guitarist) Jimmy Ripp, who has been his foil in his personal work for 25 years. I have nothing against Jimmy Ripp, so if they want to continue with him, God bless 'em. But I'm not going to be part of it. Not unless somebody dangles seven figures in front of me. Not that I think of it as a cash cow, but that's what it would take for me to work with Tom again.

Q: Do you not get along with him personally?

A: No, I get along very well with him personally. I don't get along professionally with him, period. He doesn't want to work. He hasn't, really, since '78. Although he made a lot of solo records, if you listen to them, they all sound like they have drum machines on them. They're all involuted. "Marquee Moon" (1977) is the only Television album, as far as I'm concerned, because it's the only record that faces outwards, to the audience. Even with "Adventure" (1978), he began coming to the studio without songs, writing lyrics on the spot that meant nothing, that were just him tickling his own fancy.

Television did very well in '92 with the Capitol record, which I can't stand the production of -- to me, it's like Television lite. Then we performed 15 to 25 times a year for 14 years. But we didn't do another record. We wrote like 10 songs in 14 years. Excuse me? That's just not sufficient.

FYI, the youtube videos have been removed. But yeah, Marquee Moon is totally a sweet album, maybe not my favorite guitar album (I'd probably have to pick one of Sonic Youth's for that) but it's definitely way up there. The songs are both raw and punky while being complex at the same time. Not a combination that often happens.

Interview with Richard Lloyd, ex of Television. He's touring with his new band. http://www.nj.com/entertainment/music/inde...st_wants_t.html

I found this part interesting:

Q: Regarding Television, is there any possibility of more projects?

A: No, I quit Television. That's it. Legally they can continue. And they did. They did a show without me (in 2007) at Central Park, because I was in the hospital. Tom used (guitarist) Jimmy Ripp, who has been his foil in his personal work for 25 years. I have nothing against Jimmy Ripp, so if they want to continue with him, God bless 'em. But I'm not going to be part of it. Not unless somebody dangles seven figures in front of me. Not that I think of it as a cash cow, but that's what it would take for me to work with Tom again.

Q: Do you not get along with him personally?

A: No, I get along very well with him personally. I don't get along professionally with him, period. He doesn't want to work. He hasn't, really, since '78. Although he made a lot of solo records, if you listen to them, they all sound like they have drum machines on them. They're all involuted. "Marquee Moon" (1977) is the only Television album, as far as I'm concerned, because it's the only record that faces outwards, to the audience. Even with "Adventure" (1978), he began coming to the studio without songs, writing lyrics on the spot that meant nothing, that were just him tickling his own fancy.

Television did very well in '92 with the Capitol record, which I can't stand the production of -- to me, it's like Television lite. Then we performed 15 to 25 times a year for 14 years. But we didn't do another record. We wrote like 10 songs in 14 years. Excuse me? That's just not sufficient.

I had the chance to interview Richard Lloyd when I was in college (during the tour for the '92 s/t/ record). He's a really good interview; gives a lot of thoughtful, involved answers.

For instance, he told me a story about how he got decked by Jimi Hendrix once, when he was a teenager. (They had mutual friends.)

It was a thrill to talk to the guy. And then the show freaking blew my mind!

I saw him last year and I'll probaly be seeing him again in a few weeks. He still plays great, and as an added bonus he has Billy Ficca on drums. I thought he put on a really good show, but based on his between song banter one might reasonably conclude that he intends to off himself in the parking lot after the show.

I had the chance to interview Richard Lloyd when I was in college (during the tour for the '92 s/t/ record). He's a really good interview; gives a lot of thoughtful, involved answers.

For instance, he told me a story about how he got decked by Jimi Hendrix once, when he was a teenager. (They had mutual friends.)

It was a thrill to talk to the guy. And then the show freaking blew my mind!

He writes an article for Guitar World, man I would love to take lessons from that guy. Seems to really know his stuff.

I wonder what he did to get decked by Hendrix?

It's weird when I first got into Television i was drawn to "adventure" 1st over "Marquee Moon". I love both the records now. I own 3 CD copies of MM somehow... and the re-issue of "adventure", and found it on vinyl... still need to get "Marquee Moon" on vinyl.

He writes an article for Guitar World, man I would love to take lessons from that guy. Seems to really know his stuff.

I wonder what he did to get decked by Hendrix?

I asked him. He said something like:

I don't remember. We were both really drunk.

I remember reading in the Kott book a story about Jeff's wife arranging a guitar lesson with Richard Lloyd as a present. My memory not being the greatest I run a quick Google search to check facts and, sure enough, it crops up on Richard Lloyd's website in the Q & A section. He doesn't shed too much light but at least he confirms it took place:

hello richard, this is adam. i read that you gave jeff tweedy a guitar lesson and was wondering about some of the things you talked about, seeing as how i love both his and your playing. hopefully you can shed some light on this. i plan on checking out some of the lessons on your site and appreciate them very much!

thanks, adam

Hello Adam,

Thank you for writing, and for your interest in Jeff Tweedy and myself. Unfortunately, private lessons are just that -- private. For that reason, I cannot answer your questions with respect to what might have taken place between us, but we are and have been friends for a rather longtime -- Wilco opened a number of shows for Matthew Sweet many years ago when I was on tour with Matthew. We all became warm friends then and remain so, even though Jeff lives in Chicago and I live in New York. His wife called me a couple of years ago because she wanted to get him a guitar lesson from me for his birthday. So I flew to Chicago and we spend the day together. And I just saw him a month or so ago in Brazil when we both played at the Tim Festival in Rio de Janeiro.

Best regards,

Richard Lloyd

As for Wilco, I always think that musically At Least That's What You Said is the perfect hybrid of Neil Young and Television playing Marquee Moon.

It's also my favourite Wilco song.

I saw Richard Lloyd in concert last night. He has Billy Ficca on drums. I saw them a few months ago and they were good, but this time they were on another level. Amazing. I got to chat with Billy and the bass player for a few minutes. Super nice fellows. Any fan of Television should go see this show.

I saw Richard Lloyd in concert last night. He has Billy Ficca on drums. I saw them a few months ago and they were good, but this time they were on another level. Amazing. I got to chat with Billy and the bass player for a few minutes. Super nice fellows. Any fan of Television should go see this show.

I saw Television back in 1992 and it was pretty astounding.

Despite the fact that they played all my favorite songs, the highlight was when they closed the show with, what was then, a new song -- "Call Mr. Lee".

The guitar runs that Richard plays up and down the neck at the end of that song, were so damn intense! You could see veins bulging out of his neck and forehead. Then, he bashed his guitar, detuned all the strings, and TORE THEM OFF THE GUITAR; put it down, and walked off the stage, letting it feed back.

My gf at the time (a nonmusician) walked out of there with her head shaking in disbelief, "I'm never going to see anyone play guitar like that ever again, am I?"

Only it wasn't a question, really.

I saw Television back in 1992 and it was pretty astounding.

Despite the fact that they played all my favorite songs, the highlight was when they closed the show with, what was then, a new song -- "Call Mr. Lee".

The guitar runs that Richard plays up and down the neck at the end of that song, were so damn intense! You could see veins bulging out of his neck and forehead. Then, he bashed his guitar, detuned all the strings, and TORE THEM OFF THE GUITAR; put it down, and walked off the stage, letting it feed back.

My gf at the time (a nonmusician) walked out of there with her head shaking in disbelief, "I'm never going to see anyone play guitar like that ever again, am I?"

Only it wasn't a question, really.

I saw that tour, too. Unfortunately it was before I really knew their music. Televsion releases were kind of hard to come by back then. I knew I would regret it if I didn't go, and at the time the only song I knew was Call Mr. Lee because it was getting a lot of play on college radio. That's still a great song, even though people try to pretend that "reunion" album is awful.

Anyway, I bought a live cd from the '92 tour last night (Live at the Academy NYC 12/04/92). I'm listening to it now (Call Mr Lee is coming up next...edit, it's on now, YEAH!). 2/3 of the cd is songs from the reunion album, and they are smoking!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

From Richard Lloyd's facebook page:

I regret to inform you that the Richard Lloyd and Grand Strand June 2012 Tour has been cancelled. Richard's health has declined over the past week and on June 11 he was admitted to the hospital in Cleveland, Ohio. Again I am sorry for the cancellation.

Team Lloyd