Do you have trouble maintaining an election?

I couldn't vote because I'm a registered independent and CT has a closed primary, which means I can't vote for either side.

In other terrifying news, Huckabee has won all delagates in West Virginia.

Come on, A-man, what's the matter with you people down there???

JC, Republicans, Guns, Meat, Football

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted for him because he is going to give us some money to finish our Omega Man set.

Awesome, I'll finish up the middle-finger painting on the back of my bomber jacket and start looking for a 1972 Triumph 450.

I couldn't vote because I'm a registered independent and CT has a closed primary, which means I can't vote for either side.

I think this rule is such bullshit! you should be able to vote any way that you want regardless of your party affiliation.

you should be able to vote any way that you want regardless of your party affiliation.

You can in the general election.

Right, but I can't pick a party to vote in the primary unless I change my affiliation.

But wouldn't it be cool if someone tried to vote against their party and a trap door opened up underneath the voting booth that sent them back out into the parking lot?

It's that way here also - I think.

I don't think you're allowed to vote Democrat in W. Virginia.

Right, but I can't pick a party to vote in the primary unless I change my affiliation.

But wouldn't it be cool if someone tried to vote against their party and a trap door opened up underneath the voting booth that sent them back out into the parking lot?

I don't think you're allowed to vote Democrat in W. Virginia.

We did in 1960!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Doh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry, but I think if you want to vote in a primary, you should check the box on the form to join a party.

I think this rule is such bullshit! you should be able to vote any way that you want regardless of your party affiliation.

I think they're trying to prevent hordes of republicans (or whatever) coming in and voting for the weakest candidate in the democrats' (or whoever's) primary.

Which doesn't necessarily prevent hordes of republicans registering as democrats (or vice versa) and doing the same thing...

Here, unaffiliated voters can vote in the democrats' primary, but not in the republicans'. So it's not just by state, it's party rules, too.

We did in 1960!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Doh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You voted in the 1960 election?!?

Wow, you are old.

But why is that the rule in some states and not others?

States' rights. New York keeps tight control over the electoral process, tighter than most states, so weird things like citizen-generated propositions and third parties don't muck up the establishment.

In principle I don't have a problem with political parties (which are, after all, private organizations) having their own rules to determine who their candidates are. However, the fact that it's impossible to be elected to anything other than local offices if you aren't the candidate of one of the two major parties make their nomination process more of a public concern.