• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

did anyone else see the guys on the red carpet, on that cheezy E! channel red carpet show? they briefly interviewed the band, asking some lame question about "how did you make the switch from the 'alternative' to 'rock' category" ...as if jeff had a choice in the matter.

I thought Kanye was amazingly good natured tonight.

I am, of course, one of his biggest defenders. Sure, he's full of himself, and he comes off as a prick, but that's refreshing. It's so refreshing to see someone who is so passionate about his music and who so obviously isn't the product of a massive PR push. He's real, whether you like him or not. I respect that.

i just turned on the west coast feed, right into what turned out to be aretha franklin performing but i was trying to figure out whether or not i was on the right channel because it was the same exact show as those cheesy born again christian 'gospel' shows i see on tv sometimes. as someone who is disgusted by those types of things i was disgusted. anyone notice this?

"if there's anyway someone could find/upload a video of wilco being interviewed on e!, i would be very thankful/entertained/weirded out."

is that a no then? i doubt anyone taped it but it would love to see it.

Considering the Grammy's are a pretty horrible event and that Wilco did not win, I found the night surprisingly watchable with the following of personal interest:

Ringo joining George and Giles for the acceptance of award for Love

Tina Turner sounding good (looking funny)

Beyonce looking good (sounding funny)

Aretha

Vince Gills awesome speech with Ringo presenting

Rhapsody in Blue (one of my all time faves)

mini Doris Day montage (I am a sucker for Hitchcock's The Man Who Knew Too Much)

Feist's nice performance

Tom Hanks short tribute to the Band and the Beatles

Rewinding 20 times to go slow mo over seeing the guys

The best I could make it out it went from aisle in:

Jeff, Sue, Nels, Michael, Glenn's wife, Glen, Pat (could not see John)

Kayne is the guy who cuts you off on the Dan Ryan. Foo Fighthers would be better off opening for Hanah Montana

It was totally odd that Herbie won album of the year, but good for him I suppose. His album (which I have not heard, but intend to get today..seems like a good Valentine's present) is hardly a "jazz" album, what with all the rock/folk/folk-rockers on there, but it is close enough I suppose. It also got very luke warm reviews when it first came out, but now I suppose will sell many more copies.

Wow some people really have good eyes, I only saw Jeff once during the show.

As for Kanye, too bad....his ego needs to be tamped down a touch.

LouieB

I thought the Fogerty performance with two of the original bad boys of rock and roll was interesting as well. Jerry Lee looks to be on his last legs and Little Richard is sort of ageless what with a good make-up job and and his wig. (I think he and Amy Winehouse must have the same wigmaker....)

LouieB

Thank God Wilco lost. It's getting hard enough to get tickets as it is. Obviously, it's not totally based on merit. Foo Fighters first album is one of my all time faves, but that generic rehash crap they're spewing these days doesn't really cut it for me. Very happy for Herbie Hancock. Vince Gill is a playa, who knew? Kanye is way too full of himself, and is never going to be satisfied, but at least he usually channels it into some pretty good music, and he appeared to laugh at Gill's joke and at himself, so there's that.

Amy Winehouse's legs scared me too. But I liked her performance. Interesting, bloated show.

I too saw the E pre-show Wilco bit. Jeff was asked about the Puff Daddy story which is always amusing, especially seeing him and John trying to be witty with the lame reporter. The bit about how did they go from the best alternative to best rock category was funny. Jeff said that ten years ago they were up for best folk. The lame reporter then asked if they would be up for best polka next year. It was pretty surreal thinking about them being interviewed and being surrounded by so many big pop stars. I kept wanting to know what they were thinking about the performers all night. I would've loved to be in their row and hear their commentary. Hopefully we do get some of it next week, I can only imagine what kind of stories they have. See ya'll in Chicago. How cold's it gonna be by the first show? greg

I'm mixed.

It's great Wilco got recognized for their album.

But I absolutely HATE the Grammys. So many things about it that suck. I kind of wish Tweedy decided NOT to go. Oh well, no biggie.

My favorite moment was watching Peter Buck walk onstage in his jammies back when REM won for Losing My Religion or whatever the heck they won for. Buck clearly didn't look to thrilled to be there.