The Replacements Thread

Long-Awaited Replacements Reissues Due In April

Paul Westerberg

February 12, 2008, 10:45 AM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

The Replacements' first three albums and an EP will be reissued in remastered, expanded form this spring, completing a long awaited upgrade of the seminal band's early work. "Sorry Ma, Forgot To Take Out the Trash," "Stink," "Hootenanny" and "Let It Be" will arrive April 22 via Rhino, Billboard.com can reveal.

Originally released on the band's hometown label, Twin/Tone, the albums were prepped for reissue by Replacements manager Peter Jesperson, with involvement from the surviving band members.

The Replacements' debut, 1981's "Sorry Ma, Forgot To Take Out the Trash," introduced its lovably shambling rock style via tracks like "Shiftless When Idle," "Takin a Ride" and "Johnny's Gonna Die." Bonus material includes frontman Paul Westerberg's original four-song demo from 1980, several outtakes and the B-side "If Only You Were Lonely."

The EP "Stink" followed in 1982, tearing through eight songs in 15 minutes. The four bonus tracks on the new edition are all previously unreleased: the outtakes "Staples in Her Stomach," "Hey, Good Lookin'" and "(We're Gonna) Rock Around the Clock," plus a Westerberg home demo of "You're Getting Married."

The Replacements' sophomore album, "Hootenanny," arrived in April 1983, further cementing its status as one of the most exciting new rock bands in America on the strength of songs such as "Within Your Reach" and "Color Me Impressed." Rhino's new edition boasts six previously unreleased tracks, including a demo of "Bad Worker" and an alternate take of "Treatment Bound."

Rhino's final reissue in this batch, "Let It Be," is regarded by many as the Replacements' best album. The 1984 release boasts indelible tracks such as "Unsatisfied," "I Will Dare" and "Androgynous"; it is here bolstered by an alternate version of "Sixteen Blue," the home demo for "Answering Machine" and covers of the Grass Roots' "Temptation Eyes" and T. Rex's "20th Century Boy."

Later this year, Rhino will continue the reissue campaign with expanded editions of the Replacements' Sire catalog: "Tim," "Pleased To Meet Me," "Don't Tell a Soul" and "All Shook Down."

Here is the bonus material for the Replacements reissues (previously unissued tracks marked with *):

"Sorry Ma, Forgot To Take Out the Trash":

"Raised in the City," live, 1980 - demo*

"Shutup," live, 1980 - demo*

"Don't Turn Me Down," live, 1980 - demo*

"Shape Up," live, 1980 - demo*

"You Ain't Gotta Dance," studio demo*

"Get on the Stick," studio demo*

"Oh Baby," studio demo*

"Like You," outtake*

"Get Lost," outtake*

"A Toe Needs a Shoe," outtake*

"Customer," alternate take*

"Basement Jam," rehearsal*

"If Only You Were Lonely"

"Stink":

"Staples in Her Stomach," outtake*

"Hey, Good Lookin'," outtake*

"(We're Gonna) Rock Around the Clock," outtake*

"You're Getting Married," solo home demo*

"Hootenanny":

"Lookin' for Ya"

"Junior's Got a Gun," outtake - rough mix*

"Ain't No Crime," outtake*

"Johnny Fast," outtake - rough mix*

"Treatment Bound," alternate version*

"Lovelines," alternate vocal*

"Bad Worker," solo home demo*

"Let It Be":

"20th Century Boy"

"Perfectly Lethal," outtake*

"Temptation Eyes," outtake*

"Answering Machine," solo home demo*

"Heartbeat -- It's a Lovebeat," outtake - rough mix*

"Sixteen Blue," outtake - alternate vocal*

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Holy crap is the Ed Stasium mix of Tim brilliant! Give it a listen. It really pops out of the speakers. The keyboards on Here Comes a Regular are throughout the whole song, no just the end. I can see

Oh my this is so much better than I could have ever hoped it would be. This album has always been right at the top for me, the songwriting is that good, but the original production and mix always made

Just here to underline how fantastic the new Tim version is. It's not just that it's way better, it's now one of the best rock and roll mixes I can name: clear, vital, big and energetic. To think that

This is sweet news! Let it Be and Tim are in serious need of a remaster. The 80s, man. :cold

Fingers crossed for the Huskers to be next.

See now, I don't think I want these or the Husker discs "cleaned up". They should always sound ugly.

I mean, I don't even understand the whole remastering thing anymore. "The Joshua Tree" remaster sounds exactly the same but a bit louder. So what was "really" done? Same with the Counting Crows reissue. Are they just making them more I-Pod friendly?

This is sweet news! Let it Be and Tim are in serious need of a remaster. The 80s, man. :cold

Fingers crossed for the Huskers to be next.

Please, God! What in the hell goes on at SST anyway?

SST is still in existence?

Bob Mould said that the band rarely got paid any royalties from sales of the records made in their indie days, even after they started getting bigger and the early records were right next to the major label albums in every record store.

Maybe Bob could sue for the tapes and rights, and re-release them on Granary.

Either way, I am not holding my breath.

See now, I don't think I want these or the Husker discs "cleaned up". They should always sound ugly.

I mean, I don't even understand the whole remastering thing anymore. "The Joshua Tree" remaster sounds exactly the same but a bit louder. So what was "really" done? Same with the Counting Crows reissue. Are they just making them more I-Pod friendly?

They sound like shit (The Replacements cds that is) - the early ones were re-done by Twin/Tone Records a few years ago. It depends on who does the work and how much time they put into it. I hope no one re-masters cds to make them more "ipod friendly" that would be a waste of time - unless there are ipods that plays cds. I don't think the Joshua Tree re-master sounds the same as the original cd release - seems to have more depth to it.

That leads into a good question: speaking as someone who has been MEANING to pick up some Replacements for awhile now, should I wait on these reissues? Are these even the albums I should be most interested in?

Asked another way:

1. where to start with the replacements?

2. do you think the reissues are likely to be of higher-enough quality that I should wait for them to come out?

That leads into a good question: speaking as someone who has been MEANING to pick up some Replacements for awhile now, should I wait on these reissues? Are these even the albums I should be most interested in?

Asked another way:

2. do you think the reissues are likely to be of higher-enough quality that I should wait for them to come out?

I'd wait.

Sorry Ma, Forgot to Take Out the Trash (1981)

Stink (TwinTone, 1982)

Hootenanny (1983)

Let It Be (1984)

Tim (1985)

Pleased to Meet Me (1987)

Don't Tell a Soul (1989)

All Shook Down (1990

All For Nothing/Nothing For All (1997)

I like several of thier songs, but I also think many of them are crap. I own all of the cds I listed above. There are many fans of the band here - so I am sure they will have some thoughts to share with you.

"Let It Be" is one of my all-time fav albums and is, in my opinion, the best place to start. It's probably worth holding on for the reissues if you don't have them, but most of the Replacements albums you can pick up quite cheapily, or second hand. Might be worth a look around and then see if you like 'em before spending serious money on them.

Asked another way:

Let It Be!

I'm gonna get them all eventually. Here's the order I like them and am going to replace what I have:

Let it Be

Tim

Pleased to Meet Me

All Shook Down

Hootenanny

Sorry Ma Forgot To Take Out the Trash

Don't Tell a Soul

Stink

Other people like Hootenanny a whole lot more than I do and you will probably see it listed higher up on others lists (probably most). All Shook Down is essentially Paul's first solo album but was under the Replacements name, But I still like it a lot. Sorry Ma and Stink are essentially punk albums while Don't Tell has some great songs on it, but it has a way different feel to it than any of the others.