The Replacements Thread

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Holy crap is the Ed Stasium mix of Tim brilliant! Give it a listen. It really pops out of the speakers. The keyboards on Here Comes a Regular are throughout the whole song, no just the end. I can see

Oh my this is so much better than I could have ever hoped it would be. This album has always been right at the top for me, the songwriting is that good, but the original production and mix always made

Just here to underline how fantastic the new Tim version is. It's not just that it's way better, it's now one of the best rock and roll mixes I can name: clear, vital, big and energetic. To think that

• 4 weeks later...

I know everyone wants them to continue forever, but for their legacy maybe they should stop now or risk becoming the Pixies.

LouieB

I don't know, it looks like they're having fun to me and as long as they are having fun and the shows are vibrant and it's doesn't look like it's a slog for them, I don't see why they should stop playing shows. 

I know everyone wants them to continue forever, but for their legacy maybe they should stop now or risk becoming the Pixies.

LouieB

i had pretty much given up on the Pixies myself, but the show they headlined at Boston Calling a week ago fucking ruled. opening with Bone Machine > Break My Body > Broken Face was amazing, and they sounded fantastic.

I am sure they are fine. I only saw them once, in a rather boring performance prior to the Replacements at Riot Fest. I am sure by themselves they are okay.  There is something to be said for calling it a day though.

LouieB

I am sure they are fine. I only saw them once, in a rather boring performance prior to the Replacements at Riot Fest. I am sure by themselves they are okay.  There is something to be said for calling it a day though.

LouieB

Was at that show too. Terrible. The Pixies, that is. The Placemats were great.

Agreed on both counts.  I suppose if I were the Pixies I would not want to try and open for the Replacements at that point.  Having never seen the Pixies before I was disappointed, but then again Riot Fest was not the best place to see anyone, but The Replacements rose to the occasion.

LouieB

Thrilled that I got a chance to see them on this tour - one of the best shows I've seen in ages. I think these rumors are premature, but if Paul and Tommy decide to call it quits after all then I'm good with that. Better to end it on a high note than keep going and suck all the fun out of it.

And is that the end?

Via Pitchfork:

During the band's performance at Primavera Sound today, The Replacements' Paul Westerberg announced that this would be the last time that the band plays together. After saying that the band stayed at the hotel instead of coming in for sound check, he also reportedly said "lazy bastards to the end" and smashed his guitar.

http://pitchfork.com/news/59854-paul-westerberg-says-the-replacements-just-played-their-final-show/

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw this listed in an article about upcoming books:

December

Trouble Boys: The True Story of the Replacements, the Last Rock ‘n’ Roll Band. Bob Mehr (Da Capo, $25.99)—Mehr traces the development of the band from basements in Minneapolis to stages around the world; with the full participation of Paul Westerberg, Tommy Stinson, Slim Dunlap, and the late Bob Stinson’s family.

• 4 months later...

Apparently Paul Westerberg has a new band.  He has teamed up with Julianna Hatfield, the band is called The I Don't Cares.  A single is out (listen below) and a new record is on the way.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/10/paul-westerberg-and-juliana-hatfield-form-the-i-dont-cares-listen-to-1-2-2-p/

• 4 months later...