The Replacements Thread

Here’s the remixed version of Talent Show

https://rhino.lnk.to/TalentShowMW

Probably more accurate to call it the de-mixed version, as it is the original mix that the band and Matt Wallace submitted to Sire. All the “polish” in the album cut was added on (and a ton of band character removed) after the fact.

Definitely makes me eager to hear the other tracks!

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Holy crap is the Ed Stasium mix of Tim brilliant! Give it a listen. It really pops out of the speakers. The keyboards on Here Comes a Regular are throughout the whole song, no just the end. I can see

Oh my this is so much better than I could have ever hoped it would be. This album has always been right at the top for me, the songwriting is that good, but the original production and mix always made

Just here to underline how fantastic the new Tim version is. It's not just that it's way better, it's now one of the best rock and roll mixes I can name: clear, vital, big and energetic. To think that

• 1 month later...

Well Dead Man's Pop is out and I've gotta say, I'm blown away.  It is SUCH a different album, and while I still think it likely belongs in the lower 1/3 of their cannon, it is markedly better than the '89 version.  I now realize why the band was so disappointed with the final cut - the album they created with Matt Wallace is so superior -- everything from the mix, track sequencing, quirky little intros/outros, etc. 

Some of the weakest songs on the album benefit the most -- an earnest and anything-but-polished "They're Blind" transitioning into the raw, brash "Anywhere's Better Than Here" is just brilliant.

I could go on, but if you have any feelings (good, bad, or indifferent) toward Don't Tell A Soul, you've gotta check it out.

Well Dead Man's Pop is out and I've gotta say, I'm blown away.  It is SUCH a different album, and while I still think it likely belongs in the lower 1/3 of their cannon, it is markedly better than the '89 version.  I now realize why the band was so disappointed with the final cut - the album they created with Matt Wallace is so superior -- everything from the mix, track sequencing, quirky little intros/outros, etc. 

Some of the weakest songs on the album benefit the most -- an earnest and anything-but-polished "They're Blind" transitioning into the raw, brash "Anywhere's Better Than Here" is just brilliant.

I could go on, but if you have any feelings (good, bad, or indifferent) toward Don't Tell A Soul, you've gotta check it out.

I love it. I haven't listened to the whole live set yet, but there are some really great cuts on there. I always thought "I Won't" was one of their weakest tracks ever and even that's listenable.

I saw them the night after the live set here at Roy Wilkins Auditorium in St. Paul. It was the night after my first date with the woman who would become my wife. I was in college at the time and spent the rest of that summer working at a summer camp about 3 hours away so I have a pretty emotional connection to that show and the "Can't Hardly Wait".

• 9 months later...

From the Replacements FB page:

Following up last year’s DEAD MAN’S POP, PLEASED TO MEET ME (DELUXE EDITION) will be available as a 3 CD/1LP set and digitally on October 9! More than half of the music (29 of the 55 tracks) on this deluxe edition set is unreleased material, including demos, rough mixes, and outtakes, as well as Bob Stinson’s last recordings with The Replacements from 1986. Pre-order your copy and listen to six previously unreleased “rough mixes,” including “Alex Chilton,” here: https://Rhino.lnk.to/pleasedtomeetme
Several exclusive bundles can also be pre-ordered now at www.Rhino.com, which include a variety of limited edition items including a t-shirt, tote bag, iron-on patch, bumper sticker, placemat, and a cassette featuring a previously unreleased interview with Paul Westerberg recorded just before the release of the album.

From the Replacements FB page:

Following up last year’s DEAD MAN’S POP, PLEASED TO MEET ME (DELUXE EDITION) will be available as a 3 CD/1LP set and digitally on October 9! More than half of the music (29 of the 55 tracks) on this deluxe edition set is unreleased material, including demos, rough mixes, and outtakes, as well as Bob Stinson’s last recordings with The Replacements from 1986. Pre-order your copy and listen to six previously unreleased “rough mixes,” including “Alex Chilton,” here: https://Rhino.lnk.to/pleasedtomeetme
Several exclusive bundles can also be pre-ordered now at www.Rhino.com, which include a variety of limited edition items including a t-shirt, tote bag, iron-on patch, bumper sticker, placemat, and a cassette featuring a previously unreleased interview with Paul Westerberg recorded just before the release of the album.

oh hell yeah. probably my favorite 'mats album.

PLEASED TO MEET ME (DELUXE EDITION) will be available as a 3 CD/1LP set and digitally on October 9! More than half of the music (29 of the 55 tracks) on this deluxe edition set is unreleased material, including demos, rough mixes, and outtakes, as well as Bob Stinson’s last recordings with The Replacements from 1986.

See, not ALL of 2020 sucks.

• 3 years later...

Holy crap is the Ed Stasium mix of Tim brilliant! Give it a listen. It really pops out of the speakers. The keyboards on Here Comes a Regular are throughout the whole song, no just the end. I can see why Ederlyi wanted them at the end for a climax, but it's really so much better now. Every song truly is.

Bob Mehr's liner notes are great too. Maybe a reason to not just rely on streaming.

• Like 3

When I was reading about that elsewhere - (there was a 20 or so minute video about it - now gone) - I came across several unedited interviews that Bechard put up from the Color Me Obsessed documentary. There is some interesting stuff there. 

I suppose they must have a plan to do the rest of the albums at some point. 

10 hours ago, uncool2pillow said:

Holy crap is the Ed Stasium mix of Tim brilliant! Give it a listen. It really pops out of the speakers. The keyboards on Here Comes a Regular are throughout the whole song, no just the end. I can see why Ederlyi wanted them at the end for a climax, but it's really so much better now. Every song truly is.

Bob Mehr's liner notes are great too. Maybe a reason to not just rely on streaming.

Oh my this is so much better than I could have ever hoped it would be. This album has always been right at the top for me, the songwriting is that good, but the original production and mix always made it a chore to get through. This new mix is undeniably how I always hoped it was supposed to sound, Swinging Party, come on man, tears of joy! That bass line is pure bliss!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...