The Replacements Thread

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Holy crap is the Ed Stasium mix of Tim brilliant! Give it a listen. It really pops out of the speakers. The keyboards on Here Comes a Regular are throughout the whole song, no just the end. I can see

Oh my this is so much better than I could have ever hoped it would be. This album has always been right at the top for me, the songwriting is that good, but the original production and mix always made

Just here to underline how fantastic the new Tim version is. It's not just that it's way better, it's now one of the best rock and roll mixes I can name: clear, vital, big and energetic. To think that

Mars was originally supposed to do the artwork for this project; I hope his "didn't want any part of this" is only related to the musical aspect of it. It's a nice (and generous) touch for him to provide a piece of art to help increase the amount of money they're bringing in for Slim. It would be a shame if those plans changed somehow.

Also - Chris recorded a song for Slim's benefit earlier this summer.

So, I am in love with the Replacements after seeing Color Me Obsessed last winter. Seriously, it was awesome, and I was more a casual fan before I saw that film, and then for a week I couldn't get Answering Machine outta my head.

Might have already posted in this thread something similar, but I can't remember, and am too lazy to search before posting.

Justin Townes Earle does a great cover of "Can't Hardly Wait" on his Midnight At The Movies record. Although there are some less than flattering live performances of it floating around youtube, the album version is excellent.

yeah I love that JTE version of Can't Hardly Wait. I got into the Replacements via that cover. The original is now one of my favourite songs period.

The lineup for the series of songs to be released for Slim's benefit is looking to be pretty great:

1. The Replacements

2. NRBQ

3. Steve Earle

4. Lucinda Williams

5. Jakob Dylan

6. John Doe

7. Ramblin' Jack Elliott

8. The Hold Steady

9. Deer Tick

10. The Jayhawks

11. Tim O'Reagan & Jim Boquist

12. Chris Mars

13. Curtiss A. with Peter Buck, Scott McCaughey & friends

14. The Young Fresh Fellows

15. Tommy Keene

16. You Am I

17. Joe Henry

18. Frank Black & The Suicide Commandos

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

31-9NBTi2NL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Released on vinyl this week.

Don't tell a soul on vinyl

I bought a copy of this when it was cut out back at the end of the first vinyl era. 

Anyway, I saw The Replacements (well half the Replacements or the Replacements with some replacements or Paul Westerberg singing the songs of the Replacements) last night and beside the horrid festival conditions at Riot Fest they totally kicked ass. Really great. They were tight, crunchy, and played the hits and other stuff.  In fact they were just loose enough to be fun, but not too loose to be stupid.  Don't miss them if you can.

LouieB

I bought a copy of this when it was cut out back at the end of the first vinyl era. 

Anyway, I saw The Replacements (well half the Replacements or the Replacements with some replacements or Paul Westerberg singing the songs of the Replacements) last night and beside the horrid festival conditions at Riot Fest they totally kicked ass. Really great. They were tight, crunchy, and played the hits and other stuff.  In fact they were just loose enough to be fun, but not too loose to be stupid.  Don't miss them if you can.

LouieB

Great to hear.  Seeing them in T minus 5 days...was starting to think the rain was going to ruin my chances of seeing them forever.

The Chicago duo of Sound Opinions were split on this. Kot was very complimentary to the whole thing and DeRogatis was not.  True to his usual MO DeRo was kind of a dick.  No time to post up these links, but that is what Google is for.

LouieB

Seeing them in T minus 5 days...was starting to think the rain was going to ruin my chances of seeing them forever.

Are you in the Denver area? I'm flying out for this weekend's show and was wondering about the conditions -- do you think it'll be a mud pit? My friends and I are camping and I'm hoping that things will dry out, but maybe I'm being overly optimistic.

The Chicago duo of Sound Opinions were split on this. Kot was very complimentary to the whole thing and DeRogatis was not.  True to his usual MO DeRo was kind of a dick.  No time to post up these links, but that is what Google is for.

LouieB

Ha Derogatis is getting slammed in the comments for having the article up not even an hour after the show. So, apparently, it was written before the show?

Ha Derogatis is getting slammed in the comments for having the article up not even an hour after the show. So, apparently, it was written before the show?

I was sent the link and didn't look at when it was put up.  Can you link it here?  I think folks would be interested. 

I know DeRo is way cooler than me, seeing bands back in the day and getting to brag about it.  But for those of us NOT as cool, seeing the replacement Replacements the other night was pretty fucking cool.  I would not be surprised if he wrote most of prior to the show to prove what a cool dude he is and how bogus this whole reunion thing is (which makes Riot Fest the epitome of bogus because most of the bands were doing reunions or were older.)  But to simply trash what was a very fun show based on his hip attitude was really goofy.  Kot on the other hand wrote really nice stuff about the show and actually reported on what happened.  Kudos to Greg, the less douchey of the Sound Opinions guys. 

LouieB

Though I enjoyed the Toronto show more, they rocked pretty hard in Chicago. My only disappointment was they pretty much stuck to the Toronto set list with the exception of 3 songs, so the show lacked a feeling of freshness for me. Minor complaint though.

Any critics that say this incarnation isn't really The Replacements, this is as much The Replacements as the late '80s version, just with Freese and Minehan instead of Foley and Dunlap. In my opinion Freese is the best drummer that has helmed the Mats' drum kit, and Minehan is arguably a better guitarist than Slim so one could say this is the 2nd best line up of the bands career.

On Wilco's Facebook page they have a picture of Jeff and Tommy Stinson together, saying he visited the Loft during the Replacements stay in Chicago. This just got me dreaming. . . I wonder if there's any chance of a Wilco tour with the Replacements opening. Would that be a dream or what???

On Wilco's Facebook page they have a picture of Jeff and Tommy Stinson together, saying he visited the Loft during the Replacements stay in Chicago. This just got me dreaming. . . I wonder if there's any chance of a Wilco tour with the Replacements opening. Would that be a dream or what???

It would.  Although the Replacements could open for Wilco, I can't imagine they would.  At this point they are headliners. As was already mentioned, people were coming in from all over the country to see them at Riot Fest.  I think it remains to be seen if Westerberg wants to continue or not.  Considering what I saw of the Pixies the other night, this reunion biz can become are routine and boring as never breaking up.

LouieB