The Replacements Thread

I saw them a couple times back way back then, including their infamous break-up while playing in Grant Park. They opened up for Tom Petty on a summer tour and man, did the crowd not like them. If I remember correctly, the band picked up on the negative vibe and started whistling their songs, which antagonized the crowd even more. That was pretty great.

The review of the Riot Fest show said there was 35k people. Any truth to that?

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Holy crap is the Ed Stasium mix of Tim brilliant! Give it a listen. It really pops out of the speakers. The keyboards on Here Comes a Regular are throughout the whole song, no just the end. I can see

Oh my this is so much better than I could have ever hoped it would be. This album has always been right at the top for me, the songwriting is that good, but the original production and mix always made

Just here to underline how fantastic the new Tim version is. It's not just that it's way better, it's now one of the best rock and roll mixes I can name: clear, vital, big and energetic. To think that

It would.  Although the Replacements could open for Wilco, I can't imagine they would.  At this point they are headliners. As was already mentioned, people were coming in from all over the country to see them at Riot Fest.  I think it remains to be seen if Westerberg wants to continue or not.  Considering what I saw of the Pixies the other night, this reunion biz can become are routine and boring as never breaking up.

LouieB

Actually, I could imagine it, sort of the same way Wilco and MMJ "opened" for Dylan. The Replacements and Wilco would have very simpatico audiences and there could be some great collaborations. Almost like co-headliners, but I'm sure Wilco would have the later set.

Are you in the Denver area? I'm flying out for this weekend's show and was wondering about the conditions -- do you think it'll be a mud pit? My friends and I are camping and I'm hoping that things will dry out, but maybe I'm being overly optimistic.

I live near Boulder and It's a good question.  Things are drying up pretty quick at this point.  Colorado is as dry as Arizona normally so I am hopefull.  Looks like the weekend will be in the low 80's so should be great. I actually don't think it will be a mud pit but could be wrong.  Looks like we could have almost a week without rain.

Would love to buy you a beer at the show!

Edit: Forget what I said about no rain.  It's raining now.  Could be a muddy mess on Saturday.

On Wilco's Facebook page they have a picture of Jeff and Tommy Stinson together, saying he visited the Loft during the Replacements stay in Chicago. This just got me dreaming. . . I wonder if there's any chance of a Wilco tour with the Replacements opening. Would that be a dream or what???

seriously?

a band like the replacements isnt gonna reunite after all these years to be an opener

i could see wilco opening for the 'mats, but vice versa is just absurd, and i love wilco

seriously?

a band like the replacements isnt gonna reunite after all these years to be an opener

i could see wilco opening for the 'mats, but vice versa is just absurd, and i love wilco

A battle of the bands, Scott Pilgrim-style!

seriously?

Tommy Stinson is a sideman by himself.  I saw him a few years back and he couldn't even fill Schubas.  He was fun to see, but he ain't Paul Westerberg, who is the brains behind the outfit. 

When the Replacements broke up 22 years ago they probably could not have attracted the crowds they can attract now.  Their reputation has done nothing but grow, just as Big Star did the same in its absence (or any number of other artists now regarded as seminal who were not that popular at the time.)  I mean 22 years is a long long time.  There were folks in the crowd at Riot Fest who were barely out of diapers when they broke up.  Heck I admit it, I didn't even know that much about them at the time, but then I was on the other end of the spectrum even 22  years ago. 

(It is also interesting to think of folks who were big stars who now do open for Wilco, such as Mavis Staples and Nick Lowe, so I suppose it is possible.)

LouieB

Any reports of the Denver show?

I didn't write down a setlist or anything, but it was a hell of a show. The band came out wearing plaid western shirts (made in India), bright orange cowboy hats and pink, pleated skirts. They seemed to be having a good time and threw in some covers like Sham 69's 'Borstal Breakout.' It all ended in a glorious mess with the band trading instruments and rambling through snippets of 'Detroit Rock City' and 'Substitute.' They all laughed, walked off stage and never came back. 

Any day that you can see Superchunk, GBV, the Stooges and the Replacements is a good day.

did you see FLAG too?

Yeah, but strong winds and rain kicked in during their set, turning everything into a muddy mess. Then there was some lightning and we decided to skeedaddle. I believe the show was postponed an hour or two, but all the Blink-182 kids finally got to see their band. I'm glad we had packed our tents up earlier in the day; a lot of them seemed ready to blow away.

I didn't write down a setlist or anything, but it was a hell of a show. The band came out wearing plaid western shirts (made in India), bright orange cowboy hats and pink, pleated skirts. They seemed to be having a good time and threw in some covers like Sham 69's 'Borstal Breakout.' It all ended in a glorious mess with the band trading instruments and rambling through snippets of 'Detroit Rock City' and 'Substitute.' They all laughed, walked off stage and never came back. 

Any day that you can see Superchunk, GBV, the Stooges and the Replacements is a good day.

Incredible show and beautiful weather the first night.  Along with Superchunk, GBV, Stooges and Replacements I saw Dismemberment plan and Bosnian Rainbows as well.  What a day. 

I loved Paul muffing his leads.  Throwing his guitar on the stage and beating it with his shoe.  Putting it back on and not missing a beat.  So many great moments.

The Replacements' Denver set list (9/21/13)

1. "Takin a Ride"

2. "I'm in Trouble"

3. "Favorite Thing"

4. "Shiftless When Idle"

5. "Hangin Downtown"

6. "Color Me Impressed"

7. "Jingle Jangle Jingle" (snippet)

8. "Tommy Gets His Tonsils Out"/"Third Stone From the Sun"

9. "Kiss Me on the Bus"

10. "Achin' to Be"

11. "Androgynous"

12. "I Will Dare"

13. "Love You Till Friday"/"Maybelline" (Chuck Berry cover)

14. "Merry Go Round"

15. "Wake Up"

16. "Borstal Breakout" (Sham 69)

17. "Little Mascara"

18. "Left of the Dial"

19. "Alex Chilton"

20. "I Don't Know"/"Buck Hill"

21. "Hold My Life"

22. "Can't Hardly Wait" (after a bit of the Beatles' "Hello Goodbye")

23. "Bastards of Young"

Encore:

"Hootenanny"

"Ace of Spades" (Motorhead cover)

"Detroit Rock City"/"Substitute" (Who)

Denver was looser but even more fun than Toronto.

Great to see/hang with you Sandoz  :wub

p.s. they didn't actually play 'Ace of Spades', misreporting:

https://twitter.com/timmpls/status/382744741919457280

Good to know, I certainly didn't remember hearing it but there was a lot of chaos at the end.  They were having way too much fun for it to end (wishful thinking).