But how did the Clash open for the Who? Shouldn't it be the other way around? I mean, the Clash are 10000x better than the Who.

"Better" isn't a factor in such tours. The Who were 10000x bigger than the Clash.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh gawd...the Who were a generation earlier than the Clash and great in their own right (no matter how sick we have gotten of hearing their songs open CSI shows and in dreadful commercials...)

LouieB

• 11 months later...

Source

Culture Clash as punk hero Mick Jones turns librarian

Mick Jones

Mick Jones of The Clash, who is to open his personal rock'n'roll library to the public.

It may not seem the most obvious job choice for a man who fought the law, even if the law won. But Mick Jones, of the Clash, has decided on a more respectable career – by becoming a librarian.

The lead guitarist, who was at the centre of the punk movement, opened his personal rock'n'roll library to the public today, saying he hoped it would inspire and educate music lovers from around the world.

Sprawled across a 3,000 sq ft office space under the roaring Westway, off Portobello Road, west London, close to where Jones formed the Clash with Joe Strummer in 1976, the "guerrilla rock'n'roll public library" will include 10,000 items from Jones's personal collection, amassed over three decades in the music business.

It is the first time that Jones's full collection – which includes everything from Beatles knick-knacks and Clash artwork to items the band members wore on stage – will be shown in its entirety.

Jones, 54, said he hoped the five-week "civic endeavour" would challenge what he called the blandness of other music museums.

He described it as a "direct artistic challenge" to the likes of the British Music Experience, the museum of popular music at the O2 in London, that he described as "corporate".

The library – liberated from a lock-up in Acton – is likely to attract Clash fans but Jones said he hoped it would have a wider appeal. "These are relics of the last century. A part of British music history," he said. "It's a very personal collection but I don't want the library to be only for Clash fans. I hope it can be a resource and spark people's imaginations, create an idea of continual creativity."

Visitors to the library need not fear the dreaded library command "hush!" as they wander around the collection of records, pizza boxes from Clash tours, books, camouflage graffiti boots worn by the band on stage, and retro recording equipment. Instead they will listen to a personal soundtrack created by Jones, including songs from Bob Dylan and the Rolling Stones.

And instead of peering into rows of cases, visitors will also be invited to interact with the exhibition through videos and computer technology that will help them to recreate old black-and-white punk fanzines.

They may even get a peek at the man himself as throughout the duration of the exhibition, Jones, who shared songwriting credits with Strummer on classic Clash albums including London Calling, Give 'Em Enough Rope and Combat Rock, before moving on to acts including Big Audio Dynamite, will be recording with up-and-coming bands in his studio next door for the Strummerville Foundation.

For Clash fans, it will be the only exhibition that matters this summer.

• Rock'n'Roll Public Library, 18 July - 25 August, 2 Acklam Road, Portobello Green, W10 5XL. 11-7 Wednesday-Sunday. Admission is free.

Definitely one of the cooler things I read about in a while. It's great that it is free, too. It would be nice to have him bring it on the road, but I assume the would bring expense, thus eliminating the free status. I would gladly spend money to looking through the stuff, though. Perhaps this will start a trend with other artist.

• 2 years later...

I saw this movie - The Rise and Fall of the Clash - last night. It apparently debuted at the CBGB Festival last week but they had a showing in Boston. It was pretty good. It focused more on the fall than the rise, and spends a lot of time on the relationship between Joe Strummer and manager Bernie Rhodes. It also includes interviews with the replacement "Clash" guys who were around during the Cut the Crap era, which, they all admit, was a joke and fairly sad.

I don't know how widely it is going to be showing but it's worth tracking down if you are a Clash fan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ms8aRQhIUuQ

I saw this movie - The Rise and Fall of the Clash - last night. It apparently debuted at the CBGB Festival last week but they had a showing in Boston. It was pretty good. It focused more on the fall than the rise, and spends a lot of time on the relationship between Joe Strummer and manager Bernie Rhodes. It also includes interviews with the replacement "Clash" guys who were around during the Cut the Crap era, which, they all admit, was a joke and fairly sad.

I don't know how widely it is going to be showing but it's worth tracking down if you are a Clash fan.

There's been plenty of discussion about this project (including some of the folks directly involved in the film) for the past couple of months over on the IMCT board. Here's the thread link if anyone wants to dig in: http://www.clashcity....php?f=7&t=7949

i was there too. i missed the Q&A as my wife wanted to get back home so she could pack for her trip she was leaving for this AM.

did anyone ask Garcia why Rhodes or Simonon weren't interviewed? it would have been good to get their perspective.

Also - damn., Ian Dury had an exceptionally ugly band.

i was there too. i missed the Q&A as my wife wanted to get back home so she could pack for her trip she was leaving for this AM.

did anyone ask Garcia why Rhodes or Simonon weren't interviewed? it would have been good to get their perspective.

Also - damn., Ian Dury had an exceptionally ugly band.

I left too (because my ride was leaving).

On the site that moxiebean linked to above someone said that Simonon doesn't participate in post-Clash rehashing, and someone else said that Rhodes approved the script (although I'm curious what script there was).

I wondered why Topper Headon wasn't interviewed.

I saw Mick Jones and the Justice Tonight Band in Lyon France last month, opening for The Stone Roses. They played Rock the Casbah and Should I Stay or Should I Go. It was surreal. A large mosh pit ensued.

• 1 year later...

I saw that and watched those clips last night. Love watching the Bonds footage, I was there for 2 or 3 of those shows. Wild times in Times Square! I was outside the night the fire department shut the show down for overcrowding, or not having a permit or something like that. What a band they were before Combat Rock era. Don't know if I will shell out the $$ for this box. Haven't seen a price.

• 1 year later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04w08p6

A 75 minute time warp to what looks so much like another world I can hardly believe I lived through it. Some new footage interwoven with social commentary. Marvellous. Hope you can get it from BBC iPlayer via YouTube or internet workarounds.

New Years Day 77 - Covent Garden

"The Clash: New Year's Day '77

Built around the earliest, until now unseen, footage of the Clash in concert, filmed by Julien Temple as they opened the infamous Roxy club in a dilapidated Covent Garden on January 1st 1977, this show takes us on a time-travelling trip back to that strange planet that was Great Britain in the late 1970s and the moment when punk emerged into the mainstream consciousness.

Featuring the voices of Joe Strummer and the Clash from the time, and intercutting the raw and visceral footage of this iconic show, with telling moments from the BBC's New Year's Eve, Hogmanay and New Year's Day schedules of nearly 40 years ago, it celebrates that great enduring British custom of getting together, en masse and often substantially the worse for wear, to usher in the New Year.

New Year's Day is when we collectively take the time to reflect on the year that has just gone by and ponder what the new one might hold in store for us. Unknown to the unsuspecting British public, 1977 was of course the annus mirabilis of punk. The year in which the Clash themselves took off, catching the imagination of the nation's youth. As their iconic song, 1977, counts us down to midnight, we'll share with them and Joe Strummer, in previously unseen interviews from the time, their hopes and predictions for the 12 months ahead."