The Riviera Theater, Chicago, IL 02/15/08

Hey, how does seating work at the Riv? First come, first served? Is it mostly standing room? I just realized that I've never been to the Riv.

EDIT: Looks like main floor is standing, balcony is seating? Confirmation would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, how does seating work at the Riv? First come, first served? Is it mostly standing room? I just realized that I've never been to the Riv.

EDIT: Looks like main floor is standing, balcony is seating? Confirmation would be appreciated.

Thanks!

That's right. Get there early, if you want a seat/good spot to stand.

Wilco took it down because they are going to make a dvd?

I've heard that sometimes it's the length - that is, a portion of a song will be given a pass, whereas the whole song gets pulled.

If they were filming/taping multi-track, then were would have been no AUD taping or cameras allowed inside the theater.

Can you point me to the postings about what to do while I'm here...having trouble finding them :unsure thanks.

we're planning on cheap dinner and hanging out at a bar called whiskey road in bucktown tomorrow night. Pm me if u need more info, or look for me otside the riv in line. I have on a pink hat with eyes and tenticles. Not to be confused with the guy with the puppy hat of course.

Heading to the show tonight, even MORE excited after reading the experiences from last night - Primitive, 3 hours out in the cold, huh? My friend is just off crutches as of this week from a bum ankle; I think we probably need to head upstairs for the balcony to grab seats - any recommendations on what time to show up out there on line to make sure she can have a seat? Thanks. Fired UP....

I would recommend getting there at least an hour and a half before doors open. As I was on the floor, I didn't pay much attention to how quickly the balcony filled up, but if you want to be in the first few rows you can't get there early enough. All I know is it was an extremely packed show, seemingly even more than an average sold out gig at the Riv. Good luck to you and your friend getting those good balcony seats!

I've heard that sometimes it's the length - that is, a portion of a song will be given a pass, whereas the whole song gets pulled.

There's hundreds more to be pulled in that case, and some have been up for years. Hell,

is much nicer (pro shot, looks like someone got it from the blue room stream) and has been up since August 2006...

It still shows up in "my videos", and I have no messages from youtube.

And I had 56 views in like 10 minutes! Oh well.

eta: It's back up again!

AMEN. :thumbup

Just got to say again. . . OH MY GOD!!!!!!!! I had so much fun!!!!!!!!

I was with a big group from the Old Town School of Folk Music's Wilco Ensemble and we were totally wound up. I have to admit, we weren't the quietest of fans, but we mainly limited our talking to stuff like,

Can you believe that freaking guitar solo?????

Check it out, Jeff played that guitar at the living room show!

Banjo! Yes!!!

DAMN, can you believe we know how to play every song they've done tonight? We've really learned a lot of songs!

Wow, that's a sweet version of that song. We should definitely work out that arrangement and try it out!

Listen! Here comes my favorite bass riff! OH YEAH!!! Hot!

Bob, can we play a show where we play this exact set list???

Oh, and we did shut up and listen quietly during the quiet songs, and cheer like crazy for the more obscure songs.

We also did some singing along, but tried to limit it to times when it seemed appropriate. It was actually beautiful when the crowd joined in and sang along with some of the songs. Jeff said, "You're good singers! Keep it up!" after one that everyone joined in on.

Oh, and I've got to say, I think our entire corner couldn't resist jumping up and down like maniacs during some of the rockin' songs!! We were totally pumped up.

In summary, holy crap! This show rocked SO HARD! It was SO MUCH FUN!!!

There's hundreds more to be pulled in that case, and some have been up for years. Hell,
is much nicer (pro shot, looks like someone got it from the blue room stream) and has been up since August 2006...

It still shows up in "my videos", and I have no messages from youtube.

And I had 56 views in like 10 minutes! Oh well.

eta: It's back up again!

Good point.

Maybe it was some sort of technical snafu.

I'm a long-time Wilco fan (I'm 40) and I don't have a problem with people being nuts at a rock show, I have a big problem with the number of people who are constantly talking. I sat in the first row of the balcony and I can't understand why the talkers are even there.

My recording turned out pretty good for upstairs. Wilco is a top notch under appreciated band. I think one of the Sound Opinions dorks put it best as it will be 20 years down the road that they will be truly appreciated for their work.

THANK YOU WILCO! It really shows how you feel about your fans. Nice pricing on the tickets too! :thumbup

OK, I've been screwing around the last few hours trying to synch a video from my digital camera to the audio from my rig. Finally got it right I think... Pot kettle black from last night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzQwQd3Dt1A

No, I don't have the whole show on video. Just that and one other song.

Awesome, thanks!

...and yes, as of now, that one's up again.

OK, I've been screwing around the last few hours trying to synch a video from my digital camera to the audio from my rig. Finally got it right I think... Pot kettle black from last night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzQwQd3Dt1A

No, I don't have the whole show on video. Just that and one other song.

Well done! I love the arrangement on Pot Kettle Black. :)

I don't get some of these complaints. It's a fucking rock show.

The deal is that was the third rudest audience i've ever been a part of. Talking, moving and drinking are all expected at concerts. I was on the second and then third tier and the noise was unbearable at points making the music unlistenable (please be patient with me and ALTWYS come to mind). Throughout the venue there were large groups of people pushing everywhere i don't think I went through a song without getting shoved (not bumped). I am all for the atmosphere of a club but last night was like being at a bar with were some shitty local band is playing.

I could care less if these are new or old fans; people were just down right rude. I'm sure it was better for a lot of you folks who got up front but everywhere else was pretty noisy. I've been to some 20 wilco shows since 2004 ( a newb myself) and i never saw a crowd like the one last night and i've seen them all over the country. I remember on the Ghost is born tour being able to hear a pin drop during the quiet numbers.

Last night was more then disheartening. For those upstairs was it any quieter? I'm going wed. and am hoping for a better crowd.

As for the music the band played great. The oldies sounded great esp. Why Would You wanna live? and Can't Stand It!

Has anyone been at a more crowed show at the riv? I went upstairs to try to find a seat mid way through to find people standing everywhere up stairs. Seemed way oversold.

Also When The Roses Bloom again was awesome!

Do you think jeff meant they were only gonna play some of Mermaid ave? Maybe he just meant the non billy bragg tunes.

I remember on the Ghost is born tour being able to hear a pin drop during the quiet numbers.

:unsure

You obviously didn't go to the same AGIB show I did...

But, that's just the way concert crowds are now, sadly. I've seen a lot of shows over the past couple of years, and with the exception of the ones I saw at The Ark here in Ann Arbor (which is somewhat legendary for its polite, quiet audiences), every single crowd had rude, loud, pushy, annoying people.

Rather like any large gathering of people.

When I saw the Who, there was totally somebody sitting down while they played "Won't Get Fooled Again". In my eyes, that is worse than if someone shotgunned 6 or 7 natty lights, bumrushed the stage, and drop kicked Pat.

:lol

Well, that's because most Who fans are in their 60s.

:rotfl

:unsure

You obviously didn't go to the same AGIB show I did...

But, that's just the way concert crowds are now, sadly. I've seen a lot of shows over the past couple of years, and with the exception of the ones I saw at The Ark here in Ann Arbor (which is somewhat legendary for its polite, quiet audiences), every single crowd had rude, loud, pushy, annoying people.

Rather like any large gathering of people.

I hear ya. I was talking specifically about the KT shows and the fall auditorium theatre runs. Even the shows i saw in other cities had much quieter crowds then last night. I guess I'm a bit spoiled to having a more respectful crowd especially at wilco shows. I was kind of surprised that Jeff didn't say anything I remember quiet a few occasions were i've seen jeff get angry at crowds and in turn shut them up.

Whatever it had happened its over the music is over was great thats what is important. I hope for everyone else its quieter the next few nights.

I was at the back of the main floor, crowd wasn't any better or worse than any other Wilco or other band crowds I've seen. Can't speak for the other levels on the main floor.

Yeah the floor seemed a lot better but my girlfriend wouldn't have been able to see. There were defiantly more people dancing on the floor as opposed to the shoving upstairs. I noticed the moving would always be the same few people.