The Riviera Theater, Chicago, IL 02/15/08

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The deal is that was the third rudest audience i've ever been a part of. Talking, moving and drinking are all expected at concerts. I was on the second and then third tier and the noise was unbearable at points making the music unlistenable (please be patient with me and ALTWYS come to mind). Throughout the venue there were large groups of people pushing everywhere i don't think I went through a song without getting shoved (not bumped). I am all for the atmosphere of a club but last night was like being at a bar with were some shitty local band is playing.

I could care less if these are new or old fans; people were just down right rude. I'm sure it was better for a lot of you folks who got up front but everywhere else was pretty noisy. I've been to some 20 wilco shows since 2004 ( a newb myself) and i never saw a crowd like the one last night and i've seen them all over the country. I remember on the Ghost is born tour being able to hear a pin drop during the quiet numbers.

Last night was more then disheartening. For those upstairs was it any quieter? I'm going wed. and am hoping for a better crowd.

As for the music the band played great. The oldies sounded great esp. Why Would You wanna live? and Can't Stand It!

I think the issue may just be proximity to the speakers. In the balcony, the music wasn't Oh My God I can't hear myself loud. It was a nice volume, with a beautiful mix. However, the problem is, when it isn't that loud, you can really hear the talkers. It does get obnoxious, but that's not because there are more or less of them, it's because the music isn't as loud up there.

At least that's what I think. There was a lot of talking, but maybe it was just because I could hear it better because I was farther away from the band.

I think the issue may just be proximity to the speakers. In the balcony, the music wasn't Oh My God I can't hear myself loud. It was a nice volume, with a beautiful mix. However, the problem is, when it isn't that loud, you can really hear the talkers. It does get obnoxious, but that's not because there are more or less of them, it's because the music isn't as loud up there.

At least that's what I think. There was a lot of talking, but maybe it was just because I could hear it better because I was farther away from the band.

I was on the floor not the balcony.

The balcony source sounds surprisingly good for the balcony at the Riv. Nice recording, whoever made it. :thumbup

Here's my source, for anyone interested:

[FTP] Wilco - 2008-02-15 - Chicago, IL - Riviera Th - MK5/722

ftp: tapers.org

dir: /drive1/wilco2008-02-15.flac16/

login: ftp4all

pass: ftp4all

Wilco

2008-02-15

Chicago, IL - Riviera Theatre

http://www.wilcoworld.net

w/ on some tracks: The Total Pros Horns

1ST SET

01. Intro

02. ELT

03. Handshake Drugs

04. Side With the Seeds

05. You Are My Face

06. I Am Trying to Break Your Heart

07. Pot Kettle Black

08. At Least That's What You Said

09. What's the World Got in Store

10. When the Roses Bloom Again

11. Airline to Heaven

12. Ashes of American Flags

13. Either Way

14. Jesus, Etc.

15. Too Far Apart

16. Can't Stand It

17. Sunken Treasure

18. Spiders (Kidsmoke)

2ND SET

20. Misunderstood

21. Far, Far Away

22. Why Would You Wanna Live

23. Impossible Germany

24. Sky Blue Sky

25. Please Be Patient With Me

26. Cars Can't Escape

27. Hummingbird

ENCORE

28. Hate It Here

29. Walken

30. I'm the Man Who Loves You

31. Heavy Metal Drummer

32. Candyfloss

33. Outtasite (Outta Mind)

NOTES

Recordist : Brian Skalinder / bskalinder@yahoo.com

Location : ~3' RoC, ~40' back at first rail overlooking pit, ~6.5' stand

Mic Config : DINA, 17cm, 90

My pictures from the first two nights can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kowgod/collec...57603922842347/

Be gentle. I don't claim to be a skilled photographer in any stretch of the imagination. They're mostly for my own enjoyment. The remaining shows will be posted, as well.

j4lacke: ...Miss Y's ponytail flipping around like a tiny tornado.
A bronze of ms yvon's ponytail should be put in the R&R HOF. :wub

:blush :dancing

WHAT a dynamite show!! so full of suprises and treats. that they opened with ELT set the tone for the week. i thought to myself, "so this is how it's going to be!" :banana

HOORAY HOORAY HOORAY!!

Oh! And aside from the great company at the bar after Friday night's show, at about 1:30 am Nels came in and I was wearing my "Nels Cline Gave Me The Chicken Pox" t-shirt. There weren't many people left at the bar, so I walked up to him and said, "I have to show you this." He said, "Where can I get one of those?!" Ummmm.... you're Nels Cline, are you kidding?! He asked if I would walk over and show a couple of his friends, etc. So I added, "I'd like to have you sign it some time, but I don't have a pen with me." He whipped a Sharpie out of his pocket, and now the chicken w/ pox on my shirt has a cute thought bubble that says "Nels" in the middle with a heart. :yay What a good guy.

Howdjoo do that? (I'm a bit rusty at this seeding thing.)

Is that something I should have included in the seed? :nailbite

Well - I am also. The deal is - dime will ban you if you do not have certain things in an upped torrent. I have never upped a show there - I have probably upped a couple hundred torrents by now - but, uh, not live shows at dime.

I don't think I needed to make one - my bad.

DIME requires you to include checksum files in your torrents. You must provide a checksum file in the .md5 filetype for a torrent without FLAC content, and either a fingerprint file in the .ffp filetype (not .ffp.txt but .ffp) or a checksum file in the .md5 filetype for a torrent with FLAC content.

information

Thanks Brian and Mike -- I'm hitting it now. It'll be on my ipod by morning :yay

Also, looking forward to a night or two out after the shows assuming I'm feeling better. Tamala, your Nels story warmed my heart :wub