TJ Doherty

This guy seems to be Wilco's house engineer, and with good reason! Does anyone have any info on him? He engineered Sky Blue Sky and Born Again in the USA, as well as the latest Sonic Youth and Malkmus records.

I've always listened to Born Again in the USA as a little bit of a companion to Sky Blue Sky, even though it's decidedly more rocking and loose (no pun intended). I'm starting to realize the similarities I'm hearing might be the TJ magic. He gets such a clean guitar signal. Really nice and crisp sounding. I even hear it on the Sonic Youth.

Not that Jeff and the boys aren't geniuses in their own right, but I think some of the love on the whole "vibeyness" of Sky Blue Sky ought to be thrown TJ's way. Let's hear it for TJ, man!

• 1 month later...

Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks Real Emotional Trash Matador Engineer 2008

Wooden Wand James & the Quite Ectstatic Peace Mixed 2007

Wilco Sky Blue Sky Nonesuch Engineer 2007

White Magic Dat Rosa Mel Apibus Drag City Mixed 2006

Donald Fagen Morph the Cat Reprise Engineer 2006

The Rapture Pieces of the People We Love Universal Engineer 2006

The Rogers Sisters The Invisible Deck Too Pure / Beggars Engineer 2006

The Hold Steady Boys and Girls in America Vagrant Engineer 2006

Sonic Youth Rather Ripped Geffen Engineer 2006

Beth Orton The Comfort of Strangers EMI Engineer 2006

Steely Dan Everything Must Go Reprise Engineer 2006

Joanna Newsome Ys. Drag City Assistant Mix Engineer 2006

The Kills No Wow Domino Engineer 2005

Jon Spencer Blues Explosion Damage Sanctuary Engineer 2004

Wilco a ghost is born Nonesuch Engineer 2004

Selfish Cunt no wicked heart shall prosper Horseglue Engineer, Mixed 2004

TJ DOHERTY PRODUCER/ENGINEER

TJ engineered Wilco's latest release Sky Blue Sky (Nonesuch) and just finished engineering and mixing tracks from the upcoming Bob Dylan film, I'm Not There. Over the last 10 years he has worked with a diverse list of artists including Vincent Gallo, Wayne Shorter, Lou Reed, RZA, Rufus Wainwright, Chick Corea, D'Angelo, Mos Def, Fuel, Cyndi Lauper, and The Rapture.

The guy gets around!

• 1 year later...
Interview is out now. Issue 70. Talks a bit about recording Sky Blue Sky with mainly sm57s!

Yeah, very good interview; also talks about working with Jim O'Rourke on Ghost and Born Again.

I know TJ had a pretty serious health scare recently. Glad to hear that he's doing better!

He said he got a full body infection and almost died after working in a studio that was so filthy there was semi-unidentified bodily fluid/goo on the walls which had never been cleaned up.

• 3 weeks later...
Interview is out now. Issue 70. Talks a bit about recording Sky Blue Sky with mainly sm57s!

Where can I find this magazine? I went to Borders/Barnes and Noble. Is it usually stocked in record stores?

You're correct, but those usually take several weeks. I may still do that, but I'm looking for a hard copy before I leave for vacation and forget about everything.

If I still have my copy I'll mail it to you. Let me make sure I still have it, then I can get your address.

If I still have my copy I'll mail it to you. Let me make sure I still have it, then I can get your address.

Thanks, I'd appreciate it. If you don't have it, I'll continue looking around for it. I'm sure someplace has it.

Thanks, I'd appreciate it. If you don't have it, I'll continue looking around for it. I'm sure someplace has it.

Here's there website:

http://www.tapeop.com/

It might say somewhere on the website which stores carry it. But when I get home I'll look for my copy and get it out to you. I'll pm you once I know I have it.

OK, I have the magazine. PM me with your address if you'd like me to mail it to you.