The Riviera Theater, Chicago, IL 02/16/08

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This show felt more like an "event' than a concert

Met lots of awesome, friendly VCers in line

Nels is a guitar god...Pat is hilarious and was terrific trading leads with Nels on HV

This was the most energetic I have seen the entire group

Jeff smiled alot and seemed to be enjoying playing for the "hometown crowd" ("I don't have to tell you what to do!")

Hotel Arizona was a highlight

The extra encore was a treat...even Sue Tweedy was whistling for the boys to come back out.

Had great seats in the balcony which offered a terrific vantage point.

Someone was filming from the edge of the stage.

wow. i have seen my fair share of wilco shows, but this one is UP THERE. what an amazing night! dash 7, hotel arizona..man oh man. the red eyed and blue-->i got you was especially awesome tonight, the energy was just so incredible. im apparently still at a loss for words cause theres so much i want to say right now but cant seem to get it out right..oh yeah, was hanging out for a setlist at the end and a roadie comes out with a drum stick and kind of brandishes it to the crowd..i shot my hand up, and he came over and handed it to me..wasnt until i was walking out and examining it that i realized glenn had autographed and dated it :w00t

Amazing amazing show. The best Wilco show I've seen? Not quite, but easily one of the best setlists I've seen.

I can see how Chris preferred last night though, I enjoyed the main set more last night, as they started off pretty mellow tonight, but the 2nd set tonight... Holy shit.

As for the repeats, I knew it was going to happen, but didn't expect that many tonight I guess. And Walken and Hate It Here as two of the SBS holdovers? :yucky

Was just fine with Jesus, etc again with Andrew :wub So awesome that he played almost 1/3 the show.

Jealous of thos going to the other 3, but super glad I got to attend at least these two.

Yeah--nice show! And my tape sounds great. I think the whole thing will be well documented, probably 3 or 4 tapers every night.

What about when Jeff was doing that "last night's crowd was better" thing? Hilarious!

Tonight was great, but I think last night blew me away a bit more...probably had something to do with all the repeats tonight.

was hanging out for a setlist at the end and a roadie comes out with a drum stick and kind of brandishes it to the crowd..i shot my hand up, and he came over and handed it to me..wasnt until i was walking out and examining it that i realized glenn had autographed and dated it :w00t

:worship

Tonight was just great. I have been waiting to hear "Monday" and it was just awesome! As I was sort of walking out, a roadie threw a setlist out and the tape on it literally stuck to my shirt. Through the magic of some wonderful VC friends, I got an after-party pass and was able to get Glenn, Nels, Pat and John to sign it. Minutes later, I was down the street at Fat Cat and Mikael was there! Even though he was on his way out, he was nice enough to sign it as well. 5 out of 6 ain't bad, right? The setlist really confirms that they had fully intended on closing with Lonely 1. I'm so happy they came back with ELT and Hoodoo Voodoo. Simply outstanding! Food afterwards with some great people, despite the crappy weather. Oh well, at least it's not snowing(yet). Can't wait to see what the other 3 shows hold!

I would say that is my favorite Wilco show in recent history. I don't think anyone has mentioned how when they ended, and brought the lights back on and started taking down the drums the song "Peaches" by Presidents of the United States of America was on the PA, and I think it really played a part in pumping up the crowd to encourage the REAL encore we got. It was a little surreal, but very very awesome.

I was so excited that Andrew Bird played on so many great songs. Dash 7 was just perfect and beautiful, I never thought I would hear them play it.

There's an unprotected WiFi network in the Riv, so I am very easily able to take pictures with my phone and send them right to Flickr. I'll try to do it for the remaining shows. Here's what I got tonight.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/samorama/sets...57603926525517/

I just don't see how the rest of the shows can be any better, but I have a feeling I won't be disappointed.

..oh yeah, was hanging out for a setlist at the end and a roadie comes out with a drum stick and kind of brandishes it to the crowd..i shot my hand up, and he came over and handed it to me..wasnt until i was walking out and examining it that i realized glenn had autographed and dated it :w00t

Fantastic!!! :yes

Ha! A real live "Looks like they're not going to leave, better play a couple more songs for Lou" encore. Sounds like it was another amazing night.

Andrew Bird? Fooking awesome!

Sarah and I got to hear Muzzle Of Bees (:wub) and Via Chicago through the miracle of satellite. We added our voices to the sing along parts in Via Chicago and joined in screaming and clapping during the drum breakdown. :blush Yeah, we're geeks.

Thank you again Edie. You're a sweetheart for including us in the show.

I got to hear bits of "Jesus Etc.", "It's Just That Simple", "Via Chicago" and "The Lonely 1" was on my voicemail when I woke up. :)

Thanks Rosie!!

This sounds like an amazing show!

I got voicemail too, Muzzle of Bees, :)!

Ha! A real live "Looks like they're not going to leave, better play a couple more songs for Lou" encore.

That's the first thing that I thought of -- a real encore. I had a really good vantage point of side of the stage from the side and above, and could clearly see the band's tour manager and sound technician motioning as if they weren't sure if they should try to get the band back on stage. Everyone had cleared out from the side of the stage. It was definitely one of those "real encore" moments.

Crap. Looks like my connection died after Kingpin. Thanks AT&T. Anyway, that was awesome. I have to say, I can't recall ever seeing any other true encores like that. Wild!

What does this mean??? Are these shows being webcast somewhere??? Someone please let me know!!!!

We are in the middle of something special, a 5 day concert event that it will be looked back upon for decades as a musical high water mark. For those of us fortunate enough to attend, heck even for epeople reading these posts, we are currently making history. I personally will refrain from judging the nights vs. each other. Last nights show, as people have mentioned, contained history making moments. John's crowd reaction was nothing short of amazing. His love came in waves, one round of applause bigger than the next. The true encore was special, you knew when it started with ELT (first song first night) they had nothing planned. The restart on Hoodoo confirmed it. Jeff even said he did not want to ruin the harmony of the nights, probably referring to the planned setlists they had mapped out in advance.

I have noticed one other thing. There seems to be a crazy VC phenomena going on here. Like the shows are being done so we can spread the word to the world. They seem almost catering to us crazies. Rare mermaid songs, b sides, true encores, horns, special guests, all topics that have been discussed here recently. I am appreciative to the band for playing these shows, but also the crowds for making them so special. The person earlier who said they feel like an event is totally right. This is event concert viewing.

Shit. I missed Hotel Arizona. :(

That was the one I thought this lineup would just OWN.

They did a great job on it, as far as I was concerned. Great night. Andrew Bird coming out was the best thing ever. They should make him a part of the group and be done with it. Hotel Arizona was a highlight for me of course and the "real' encore with the guitar duel between Nels and Pat during Hoodoo Voodoo was the perfect way to end the night. I don't know if they have done that before (have they???) but it gave the encore a nice airing out and a way to send the crowd home happy.

Aside from nearly coming to blows with a 19 year old girl who insisted on leaning against me before the show (without even introducing herself) because she couldn't see without doing it, the night was a gas.

Gawd I am glad there is a break today and earlier shows this week. Someone save a seat for me in the balcony one night okay?? Everyone else...enjoy your day off, particularly those from out of town. PM me if you need directions... :lol I will be doing work today to make up for the time on Friday I spent on the street instead of working.

LouieB