I'm completely new to Via Chicago even though I've been listening to Wilco for a while now. I was just wondering if there was any way of creating a wiki for all of these tabs? It would make it much easier to locate songs and you wouldn't have to keep directing people to songs that have been posted in the past.

I have no clue how wikis work or how you start them. Its just a suggestion.

I'm completely new to Via Chicago even though I've been listening to Wilco for a while now. I was just wondering if there was any way of creating a wiki for all of these tabs? It would make it much easier to locate songs and you wouldn't have to keep directing people to songs that have been posted in the past.

I have no clue how wikis work or how you start them. Its just a suggestion.

If you search around google, you will find resources to show you how to create a wikipedia page, but apparently it's pretty involved and you have to know what you're doing to make it happen.

The best method would be to just create a wilco tabs website.. I would if I had the time, but maybe someone else will pick up the idea.

That's a much neater idea than having to search through 36 results for 'Pot Kettle Black' in the search facility, then scrolling down, discounting the irrelevant mentions as you go. I'm all for it and I'll keep my weary fingers crossed... :ohwell

Thanks and welcome to VC Blake, there are lots of great guitarists here who generally seem happy to help out!

Alex :thumbup

yeah emil's tabs is a good page, That would be an excellent addition here, whoever is admin would only need to load the wiki software onto the server (something like wiki.viachicago.org) and we could create the pages by pasting the scattered tabs from around the forum into it. the beauty of wiki software is the ease in which anyone can edit. There is some markup syntax if you want to get fancy, but really it's not any harder than posting to the forum

• 3 years later...

I decided I would put my collection of Wilco tabs/chords into a Wiki. I agree with the poster above: while it is true that they are all out there (and a google search can find just about anything); however, it would be nice if they were all collected in a convenient location like a wiki. I was inspired by http://avettbrotherstabs.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=start

I would like to thank all of you who have posted tabs here at VC since most of the collected stuff is from here (and gumbopages).

It is a work in progress and I plan on fine-tuning them. If anyone had feedback on any of them, please let me know. It would be nice to have a definitive collection.

Here is the link: http://radiocure.wikispaces.com/

I will keep it in my signature, as well.

Thanks, guys.

If you search around google, you will find resources to show you how to create a wikipedia page, but apparently it's pretty involved and you have to know what you're doing to make it happen.

The best method would be to just create a wilco tabs website.. I would if I had the time, but maybe someone else will pick up the idea.

Whoa.. It's like going back in time and seeing my 4 years ago self.

I'm of two minds on the topic. On the one hand, from a student's perspective, having a more or less definitive or evolving toward definitive version of the tabs in a single place would save a lot of wear and tear on the search engine and scrolling through a bunch of pretty outlandishly wrong versions.

On the other, Via Chicago is our home and I hate to have a competing site where I have to log in to something else to change something and police another set of tabs from people with SERIOUSLY no ear (I'm assuming that eventually, Anthony, other people will get to edit the tabs?).

On a third hand, I've already noticed some mistakes in my tabs (which have mysteriously migrated to Anthony's wiki) so that's convenient in tracking that stuff down. I'll get to correct that, right? I'll just correct that here.

Anyone think about a format more like Elliott Smiths? http://www.sweetadeline.net/tabs.html

I understand your concern, but I still like the idea of a central place. As for policing, I do not intend to let the general public edit. I was thinking that just our VC community (and those who who shown a historical interest in tabs) be allowed to edit.

I love VC and its dedication to tabs (that is why I joined), but it can still be difficult. For example, try to find Late Greats tab here. There is a great thread and conversation about it, but no ultimate definitive version ( i pieced one together for radiocure wiki), but it would be nice to have quick access. I don't intend for the wiki to compete with VC, just supplement (the way gumbopages did/does).

Let's see how it goes. If someone has a better format or something, I am completely open to it.

BTW, if anyone wants edit access, just let me know.

Eventually I'd like to follow through on a plan I made a while ago to record myself playing Wilco tunes and post a video for each song on a blog. I learn songs 99% by ear. The other 1% is from watching video footage of someone playing it, which helps me fix chord positions, notes, etc. if I'm a little bit off. I've got the tools, it's just a matter of making the time to do it.

Someday. Someday soon.

I have had an idea floating around in my head for a while. What if collectively we went through album by album picking the tabs of songs (or multiple versions for solo acoustic etc) and converged all the tabs into a folder. Then someone could post the folder online and you could download the complete collection or just select songs. The hard part would be picking the best tabs or tabbing out things for the first time. I don't know. Just an idea.

That's what is kind of great about a wiki; the best tabs will bubble up or mediocre tabs will be made better without a lot of effort herding cats which is kind of what happens when group decisions have to be made. I don't think that finding tabs will be much of a problem; there are A LOT of them out there.

Thats awesome! I'm sure I'll be spending a lot of time on there. Should there be another category for wilco songs arranged differently for solo acoustic, like Spiders (Kidsmoke)?

I was thinking of having Version 1 Version 2, etc. for different arrangements. For example, check out ALTWYS: http://radiocure.wikispaces.com/A+Ghost+Is+Born

BTW, I got a couple of requests for access, but I want to make sure only VC people are allowed (for now). So if you did (or want to), please PM me here. Thanks.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hey guys. im new here. trying to get my Rising Red Lung tab posted but having some formatting (spacing) issues with this site.

i think a consolodated collection of wilco tabs on a different site is a great idea. i dont know anything about wikis...does that mean anyone can go in and change an existing tab? thats a little dangerous...

on the other hand, someone mentioned Sweet Adeline (elliott smith's tab site) which is a great format and a great resource, however there are loads and loads of different "versions" of tabs to wade through. the different "versions" are really just innacurate tabs with some accurate ones mixed in.

surely some happy medium could be reached where tabs/chords can be discussed and updated but not by just anyone.