The Riviera Theater, Chicago, IL 02/18/08

nice meeting you edie!

:lol welcome and thanks for putting up with my sporadic jumping up and down. I have been a little more subdued so that I wouldn't pass out!

I didn't think Saturday could be topped. Tonight was amazing in its own right. So many songs I never thought I'd hear them play as a samo-come-lately at the end of the Bennett years!

I saw my first show in '04 just after Nels joined so I really never thought I would hear these songs; fucking ridiculous indeed. And another vote for the annual thing, though I am hoping for like... May or October!

As far as I'm aware whenever a show gets recorded for an official release they, of course record from the soundboard, but also

points microphones at the crowd so that they can mix both sources afterwards.

The sad thing is that I didn't read anyone reporting any microphones stands so far (apart from those from the fan tapers).

There was a small mike stand pointed towards the audience right in front of Nels; I see that Morgan saw one in front of her (closer to Pat).

Also, am I counting wrong? I counted 33 songs twice....

Oh, and completely different yet totally fun show tonight. Talked to a couple people that agreed that the sound got louder after the break -- I put my left earplug in because it seemed noticeably louder (Wilco if you are reading this.... ouch).

Double kudos to MsY for doing the line thing since I am sick. Woke up a lot in the middle of the night coughing, but other than that, feeling better today.

I'm gonna get some laundry done today then later this afternoon park my Accord out in front of the Riv as a warming station. I'll have my iPod with Friday/Sat shows on :lol

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What time did they open the doors last night.

If I wanted a resonable spot on the main floor, by what time should i be in line ?

Are people reasonable if people join your group in line. (I'm not talking about the front of the line)

What time did they open the doors last night.

If I wanted a resonable spot on the main floor, by what time should i be in line ?

Are people reasonable if people join your group in line. (I'm not talking about the front of the line)

Last night the doors opened at 6:00 or thereabouts. The line was all the way around the corner when the doors opened.

I was planning on waiting in line but the long johns were at home in my closet.

We went in at 7:00 and ended up at the very back on the main floor. Not too bad but if you want to get closer I would venture in earlier than we did.

Let's see where to begin. I believe that we counted that there were 18 new songs played last night, but a few Bob Dylan and a couple of MA's are non-Wilco specific album songs, so there's around 15 or so album cute left. "Say You Miss Me" was a fav from last night, with the beautiful ohs from John and Pat. Hell it's all a favorite. I fully don't ever expect to hear "My Darling" or "Blue Eyed Soul" ever again. The front two rows were on fire pogoing and dancing during "I Got You." Nels went batshit during "Shot In the Arm," jumping, flailing, urging Mike and Glen on. John had some of his 24" vertical jumps going on as well. Beautiful run of slow to mid-tempo early songs to open up. And millions of "Peaches" for us all!

As earlier questioned and reported, there were indeed crowd facing mike stands on the stage on Saturday. The audio for sure is being covered very thoroughly by both the bands crew and tireless tapers of high esteem.

As for those who think we're insane for standing in the lines all day in single-digit weather, we'll you're right, but it's become some sort of sadistic pilgrimage. I'm at the hotel in the morning and it gets to be 10 or so and I start wondering whose already down there and how there holding up, then I start to miss everyone and we'll I just got to get there. Everyone's going above and beyond with looking out for one another. Louie B is a saint, with letting people sit in his car, blankets, checking in. Andrew and John let me sit in their cars yesterday for long periods of time with the heat running. Everyone's forever buying you coffee, lunch, after show drinks and grub. Courtney paid for my ticket up the Sears Tower yesterday! How ridiculous is that. Seriously those locals amongst you, you all are above hospitable and giving. Speaking on behalf of us out of towners, Thanks a million times over.

After the shows every night we keep winding up athe bar down the street and our crowd keeps growing every night. Last night Max, from the Total Pros shows up and about 15 or 20 of us break out in loud applause for him and he was very humbled, bowing and thanking us for the love. Lot's of people talked to him and bought him beers, he said they were having a blast and looking forward to the last two shows. There's still at least one song that they're gonna play on that they haven't yet. Hint it's got a big horn ending on its recorded version.

Alright, all for now, nice crowd shots Sam. See you'll soon, greg

Last night the doors opened at 6:00 or thereabouts. The line was all the way around the corner when the doors opened.

I was planning on waiting in line but the long johns were at home in my closet.

We went in at 7:00 and ended up at the very back on the main floor. Not too bad but if you want to get closer I would venture in earlier than we did.

i've gotten there a half hour early all nights and i've always gotten a choice spot right in front of the board. which is the perfect spot for sound since that's where they mix from.

Let's see where to begin. I believe that we counted that there were 18 new songs played last night, but a few Bob Dylan and a couple of MA's are non-Wilco specific album songs, so there's around 15 or so album cute left.

counting Mermaid Ave, there are 30 songs left to play from Wilco released albums (not counting Outtamind(Outtasite) since that's basically the same song). then adding in demos/outtakes from Summerteeth-SBS there are 11 more. so that's around 40, which makes 20 each night plus 10 repeats. which is about what they've been doing. so i wouldn't be surprised to see most of the b-sides/outtakes. :)

which bar?

Fat Cats. It's about two blocks north of the RIV on the left, at a corner. Seriously, there were over 20 VCers there last night. Come on out.

Pieholden Suite is going to be so good :)

Bingo!

I'll check out fat cats tonight. Been at all 3 shows solo from nyc at every show I run into a bunch of random cool people and usually head out after the show last night went to the green mill right down the block checked out some jazz there was a bunch of people who came from the show some with the backstage pass around their neck. I been positioned at the exact same place all 3 shows along the rail in the pit by the small bar on the left I'm the tallest dude down there if you see me say hello great frickin shows.

Hi to all the crazy people we have been waiting in line with - you are amazing. Hanging with you all has become an integral part of the Wilco experience. We thank you all - see you back on the cold front ! Laurie and Rick

counting Mermaid Ave, there are 30 songs left to play from Wilco released albums (not counting Outtamind(Outtasite) since that's basically the same song). then adding in demos/outtakes from Summerteeth-SBS there are 11 more. so that's around 40, which makes 20 each night plus 10 repeats. which is about what they've been doing. so i wouldn't be surprised to see most of the b-sides/outtakes. :)

...and the hits WILL keep coming :dancing Really hoping for "Lets Not Carried Away" and hopefully a nice full crowd participation of "Thanks I Get" on Wed.