The Riviera Theater, Chicago, IL 02/18/08

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

much different show than saturday, which is not a bad thing. the entire evening had a different, more melancholy feel showcasing a lot of beautiful sad songs. jeff seemed to be singing directly to his wife sue at a few different points of the evening. he was so comfortable all night chatting it up and found an odd flow of sad song>jokes>sad song>jokes>etc for a bit.

"how to fight lonliness" was a highlight for me. such a beautiful song and i thought andrew bird's fiddle part was a welcome addition.

"via chicago" never ceases to completely floor me. such a beautiful song with just the right twinge of madness.

"shes a jar" was phenomenal

i still can't belive they ended with "my darling." this was the one i never in a million years would be included in "playing the entire catalog"

Yeah... i've been in the balcony 2 of 3 nights (3rd row up at the stairs) and NO ONE in that section stands up. I've wanted to, but just can't bring myself to be "that guy." Not to mention, on Saturday one guy and his wife stood up and some jackass started throwing ice at him because he didn't want to have to actually stand at a concert.

Great, great shows though.

It is a rock show. You stand at a rock show. It's a sign of respect for the band and it brings more energy to the audience. I can guarantee that more people in the balcony want to stand and dance then sit and get tired. I have seen MANY shows at the Riv where everyone is standing in the balcony. I've seen many shows in general where everyone stands regardless. It's just hard for me to see the band giving all they have and the audience sitting there like stones.

It is a rock show. You stand at a rock show. It's a sign of respect for the band and it brings more energy to the audience. I can guarantee that more people in the balcony want to stand and dance then sit and get tired. I have seen MANY shows at the Riv where everyone is standing in the balcony. I've seen many shows in general where everyone stands regardless. It's just hard for me to see the band giving all they have and the audience sitting there like stones.

Agreed. I was in the balcony last night-cause my husband came along and he has recently suffered a stroke... and HE STOOD UP for most of the show. Most of the people on our side of the balcony stood most of the show-one person complained. Always one.

I can't sit-impossible. My body can't deal with that much musical energy and slouch in some marginally comfortable seat. I'm alone the next two and I'm on the floor.

I still say that there was some guy video'ing on Saturday night on the left side of the stage (on stage)...any ideas on who that was?

Zoran orlic, who has photographed wilco quite a bit, had a decent video camera on him that he used off and on all three nights so far (thats who was on stage filming). Saturday, however, there was definitely another camera, larger and much more high tech, in the pit to the left of the stage..he wasn't around very long though, and never came over to the pat side..so whatever he was there for didnt require much filming I guess..

Ah, must have been a mistake on the website. There have been a lot of surprises over the last couple of nights, but I'd have been stunned if they were doing that one.

Yep, that was me. I looked back at the Twittering, and I'm not really sure what I was thinking. Perhaps my thumbs were still cold? :P Sorry for the confusion.

Some more pictures from last night. I was basically in the same spot as Saturday, so I'm just posting a handful.

Hi to all the crazy people we have been waiting in line with - you are amazing. Hanging with you all has become an integral part of the Wilco experience. We thank you all - see you back on the cold front ! Laurie and Rick

Hey Laurie!! :wave ARe you keeping the Bear in line? Can't wait to join you tomorrow night. :wub Try to stay warm!

Agreed. I was in the balcony last night-cause my husband came along and he has recently suffered a stroke... and HE STOOD UP for most of the show. Most of the people on our side of the balcony stood most of the show-one person complained. Always one.

I can't sit-impossible. My body can't deal with that much musical energy and slouch in some marginally comfortable seat. I'm alone the next two and I'm on the floor.

AMEN. I never go balcony but totally agree: its a rock show. Plus after the last Madison show, its clear Jeff hates sitting fans. Multiple times he said things like, "you know, it is a rock show -- its ok to stand"

This is a band with punk influences -- please, please, please: no adult contemporary wilco crowds :ohwell

AMEN. I never go balcony but totally agree: its a rock show. Plus after the last Madison show, its clear Jeff hates sitting fans. Multiple times he said things like, "you know, it is a rock show -- its ok to stand"

This is a band with punk influences -- please, please, please: no adult contemporary wilco crowds :ohwell

Are people really this fucking petty, that they now have to go after people who prefer to sit?

Sitting at a rock show doesn't make someone a bad person. Jesus.

And no, Jeff doesn't "hate" fans who sit. He's a performer, he'd like to see everyone sharing in the energy, but "hate"? Hardly.

Can't wait! :cheers have been enjoyig the other two nights. If anyone can post to etree or the ftp site that would be great. Still can't get into DAD :unsure so I'll have to wait... 5 hours til show time!

what ftp site? i'm on a 'managed' laptop that work owns so torrents ain't happening for me. let me take this opportunity to also say that these would be a great addition to the 'owl' site.

cheers,

b

what ftp site? i'm on a 'managed' laptop that work owns so torrents ain't happening for me. let me take this opportunity to also say that these would be a great addition to the 'owl' site.

cheers,

b

They will be - eventually.

cheers,

b

See here.

2/15 and 2/16 are up there ... I haven't checked lately, so I don't know if any of the others made it up there.

Are people really this fucking petty, that they now have to go after people who prefer to sit?

Sitting at a rock show doesn't make someone a bad person. Jesus.

And no, Jeff doesn't "hate" fans who sit. He's a performer, he'd like to see everyone sharing in the energy, but "hate"? Hardly.

It is clear Jeff hates IT when fans sit through the whole show -- I certainly wasn't implying he actually hates the fans, thought that was obvious though. He referenced the "lame" crowds he has to normally deal with last night -- its not a coincidence that the vast majority of the Riv crowd is standing, dancing, and enjoying themselves.

And no one is "going after" sitting fans. The comments from myself and others were in response to people "going after" standing fans. So the anger and swearing are seriously unwarranted. I think sometimes people are concerning themselves far too much with the fans and the surroundings and letting that impact their enjoyment of the show. I had a huge guy with B.O. but in front of me halfway through the show last night, but I had to remind myself my favorite band was putting on a great show, so who cares. So stand, sit, dance, whatever, but RELAX, please, and try to enjoy yourself -- I know I will tonight, regardless of what happens around me. :cheekkiss