Wilco Residency Nights 1&2-FLAC FILES

Lossy police - that's hilarious!!

I wish the LP would just realise that it achieves nothing if you record audience sourced discs in FLAC. There just isn't the high end present in a live environment to warrant it. Most FOH systems roll off at 16k anyway. MP3 or AAC at 320kbps is more than ample.

Keep telling yourself that.

Ive been downloading the 2 15 08 Boot for the past day and its only got 10%!!! Is it this slow for everyone, or does the fact that I'm on a college campus make a difference. I can understand bandwith limmiting, but im lucky if i get 1kb/s over here!!!!

I could get it mailed faster! :ohwell

I would think that is it. Why not do a B&P with someone.

I take it you're the self appointent Sheriff of the Lossy police?

I don;t need to keep telling myself that, pal.

It's a fact.

And I'm a mastering engineer. It's my job.

I am not your pal, and I am not a sheriff. You know about sound engineering - more than I will ever know.

But - you are going to tell me there is no difference between a WAV-->FLAC file and a Mp3 file?

And - as I have said a 100 times - and I even have 3 pages of posts about this sort of discussion saved in MS Word - why do you think at the bottom of a lot of pages you see on a BT site it often says PLEASE DO NOT CONVERT THESE TO MP3 AND TRADE THEM - is this just some made up thing for the hell of it?

People can post all the Mp3s on here they like - that has been well established. I am not busting on amyone for that - I have wasted too much time on that already. I do hope that rule changes some day.

But - along with that - I don't think it is necessary to knock the work of the tapers who are doing what they do FOR FREE - LET ALONE POSTING A SHOW THE NEXT DAY AFTER THE SHOW and those who are attempting to keep things intact for those down the road.

As I have said before - it's not about what I want and what someone else wants - it is not an I thing - but rather, the common practices of the trading community as a whole.

There just isn't the high end present in a live environment to warrant it.

Tell me about it! There is NO discernable (read: audible) difference between an MP3 and a WAV version of the same audience recording. I've gone over it and over it, and anybody who thinks otherwise is kidding him/herself. Either that, or their stereo is fucking HAL from 2001: A Space Odyssey, and they are Superman/boy/girl. With due respect to tapers, many of whom do amazing work, these aren't fucking mastered CDs suitable for public consumption. Not even fucking close. There's hiss, there's pop, there's fuzz, there's all kinds of shit in the mix that goes hand in hand with lo-fi recording. If most traded shows were soundboards, I could maybe understand the Lossy Police's insistence on needlessly fattening up the internet with ridiculous-sized files (to say nothing of the unnecessarily long download times such files incur), but I'd still ridicule them openly.

The ultimate in hilarity: album-sharing sites mostly trade MP3s; bootleg-trading sites mostly trade FLACs. I guess my hamfisted Superman joke was appropriate, because when I think about this, I sometimes wonder if we're all living in Bizarro World.

Two different things, man.

And two very different crowds.

The bottom line is, if the tapers want their stuff traded only in FLAC, people should respect that. Your personal convenience in listening to it in MP3 format -- that's up to you, but only by respecting the people who record these shows for us will we even be able to have these recordings in the first place.

So I'm totally thankful for all the recorders cause you all rock. But I'm wondering if day 3 has been put up on bt.tree yet? No rush, just trying to keep up and there are so many threads it's not so easy to keep up!

I know - it's nutty, right? They will get up there - if I don't get to it in the next few days - someone else will.

I usually don't go crazy for the Flac's because I don't care so much, but I can definitely hear a difference between mp3's. It may not scientifically make sense or whatever but mp3s don't sound as nice. Not a world of difference but if you're a serious audiophile I could see why you'd care.

I know - it's nutty, right? They will get up there - if I don't get to it in the next few days - someone else will.

So has Day 3 or 4 been posted anywhere besides dimeadozen? I can't keep track either! Also, thanks to cars_cant_escape for putting them up for direct download.

Big thanks to the tapers, without them, no one would be able to hear the concert outside of the concertgoers!!!