No Depression and Harp Magazines

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its in the mail....

LouieB

Thanks again -

What a great issue - multiple page articles on: The Old 97s, Blue Mountain, etc. I have never listened to Buddy Miller, but I sure have read a lot about him - thanks to this magazine. Also - I noticed in the Billy Bragg article, Billy mentioned that there are tracks that could be released as MA III. At leas they are going to keep the website going, and put out some books, at some point.

• 5 months later...

I still miss No Depression. I boxed up my last three issues with the rest of the run and stuck it in the attic. It was great while it lasted. Paste is no substitute; I barely look at it when it comes.

LouieB

I still miss No Depression. I boxed up my last three issues with the rest of the run and stuck it in the attic. It was great while it lasted. Paste is no substitute; I barely look at it when it comes.

LouieB

I generally like Paste but there have been 2 or 3 issues out of the last 5 that were almost unreadable to me.

i miss Harp the most followed by ND. both great mags, great photography (Harp) and reviews (both). Paste does not replace those mags. the writing is terrible. i flip through it once and it goes to the recycle bin.

When I first read Paste about 5 years ago, I loved it. Now it mostly stinks. I rely on you people to get word of new music and links to music articles actually worth reading.

I may have to re-up for the new "No Depression".......they lost me when they went "kinda Country" a few years ago.....

-Robert

It's only going to be an every once in a while book type of deal - I think. The new content on the website features an article about Darius Rucker's "new country" album.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Man, these dudes can't catch a break.

Link

Today marks a new dawn for No Depression as we continue the journey online.

On October 1, we launched NoDepression.com. While traffic to the website has been great and the response positive, we have determined that it is impossible to bring in enough revenue to support our basic business expenses, the largest chunk of that being the editorial budget. We have soldiered on for as long as we can, but are left with no choice but to discontinue the editorial budget at the present time.

It is with great sadness that we come to this decision, as our great stable of writers has helped us to create the voice and spirit of No Depression for thirteen years. It is our hope that a business model for online content providers will emerge in the future that will allow us to resume providing quality music journalism. We are committed to placing our complete archive (75 issues) online for all to enjoy and are in the process of that currently.

At this point the best option that we can envision is to create a No Depression community website where we will pass the torch to our readers. While our writers will continue to bring their unique expertise to the community site via regular blogging and forum discussions, we hope that No Depression may continue on as a meeting place where fans of roots music connect and share information with each other, our writers, and the artists behind the music they love.

We look forward to helping you make this the best community for roots music on the web. But, like any other community, the only way to keep it vibrant and interesting is to stay involved. Please help us spread the word

they really just highlight all this crap out there when there only a few bands these days worth really getting into.

That's totally wrong. There are a lot of artists who are worth listening to today. You may put anything that's not Wilco in the "adult MOR pop" bag or whatever, but a lot of them are way more than that. I could mention hundreds of them. And I'm constantly surprised that so much people stay indifferent to their music. I'm not sure it has to do with the fact it's bad or uninteresting, I rather think it has to do with the fact a lot of listeners today just lack of life experience, and spend their time fast-feeding their ears, collecting, MP3ing, reading, eating tops, Pitchforking, etc

As long as anyone is able to love a simple song for what it is, then there are a lot of singer songwriters offering gems around, I can tell you. And I couldn't care less of any "musical revolution".

This is sad, but as someone who subscribed to the original magazine and kept my subscription until I have now ended up with the dreaded Paste, I am neither suprised nor all that sad. The website didn't fill the hole left by the ending of the print version of No Depression. I rarely read it.

Hopefully the music biz will come out the other side of this crises as something different; we shall see I suppose. Stay tuned.

LouieB

Kind of off topic but does anybody have a recommendation for a good music mag? There's Skyscraper, the big takeover, Q, Mojo, etc... Not sure which ones are worth a crap.

I buy an issue of Classic Rock and/or Mojo sometimes, but I quit regularly buying magazines when No Depression went away. I get Rolling Stone for free by way of Amazon. Not something I would buy though.