No Depression and Harp Magazines

Kind of off topic but does anybody have a recommendation for a good music mag? There's Skyscraper, the big takeover, Q, Mojo, etc... Not sure which ones are worth a crap.

Uncut and Mojo are what I think are the best, most well rounded, well written and informative magazines that show new stuff but also sheds light on to a lot of old stuff which I really enjoy. I just wish they would stop putting the same five people on the cover (Dylan, Beatles, Neil, The Who, Zeppelin/Stones), although they have been getting better. I enjoy Paste to an extent but it seems to be getting thinner and thinner each issue (plus the She & Him best album was pretty ridiculous). Under The Radar is decent for real hipster stuff but I disagree with almost every review they give (I mean SBS-5/10 and the newest Modest Mouse 9/10?).

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uncut and Mojo are what I think are the best, most well rounded, well written and informative magazines that show new stuff but also sheds light on to a lot of old stuff which I really enjoy. I just wish they would stop putting the same five people on the cover (Dylan, Beatles, Neil, The Who, Zeppelin/Stones), although they have been getting better. I enjoy Paste to an extent but it seems to be getting thinner and thinner each issue (plus the She & Him best album was pretty ridiculous). Under The Radar is decent for real hipster stuff but I disagree with almost every review they give (I mean SBS-5/10 and the newest Modest Mouse 9/10?).

I have read under the radar and I agree they are sometimes a bit too hipster. I just want a good mag that's not afraid to be "uncool". I mean if RUSH or somebody puts out a good album I want to know. A good CD is a good CD period.

I have read under the radar and I agree they are sometimes a bit too hipster. I just want a good mag that's not afraid to be "uncool". I mean if RUSH or somebody puts out a good album I want to know. A good CD is a good CD period.

Heck, you can use the internet for that. I guess I buy music magazines to read stories and interviews.

Heck, you can use the internet for that. I guess I buy music magazines to read stories and interviews.

That's a good point but I like the whole thing in one nice package. Plus I don't have your uncanny ability to find stuff. Pretty much pitchfork, aquarium drunkard and a few others.

That's a good point but I like the whole thing in one nice package. Plus I don't have your uncanny ability to find stuff. Pretty much pitchfork, aquarium drunkard and a few others.

I only look at the old folks news site, Billboard.com.

This is crazy how quickly the whole music mag thing fell apart. I went from (a few years ago) thinking Wow!, I love HARP (this magazine was written for me), and I love No Depression (classy magazine with long reads) and everynow and then Paste entertains me. Within a year I'm left with just Paste (which has become a shell of what it once was). Pretty disapointing overall. I occasionally pick up Uncut or American Songwriter at the store, but mostly am just left rereading Neil Young's bio Shakey. I guess I could read "real" books? :mellow

Yeah....IT is amazing how it all came apart.....newspapers are on their way out too.....just WOW.

I'm reading "There But For Fortune-The Life of Phil Ochs" by Michael Schumacher for about the 10th time now......just an amazing ,tragic read.

-Robert

we should have a what are you reading thread. It wouldn't have to be music related all the time, but just in general. I could really gain some cred with my wife if I walked in the door with great book advice. I think the last book I really enjoyed was a month ago I read Sherman Alexie (?) book about Adventures of a part time Indian . I will come back with the real title in a moment.

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian

Yeah....IT is amazing how it all came apart.....newspapers are on their way out too.....just WOW.

I'm reading "There But For Fortune-The Life of Phil Ochs" by Michael Schumacher for about the 10th time now......just an amazing ,tragic read.

-Robert

That sounds terrific! I'm going to add that to my Wanna-Read list! I was just having a craving the other day to unload my turntable & listen to Phil Ochs. :yes

we should have a what are you reading thread. It wouldn't have to be music related all the time, but just in general. I could really gain some cred with my wife if I walked in the door with great book advice. I think the last book I really enjoyed was a month ago I read Sherman Alexie (?) book about Adventures of a part time Indian . I will come back with the real title in a moment.

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian

All this synchronicity is blowing my mind. I just two minutes ago finished reading David James Duncan's incredible "My Story as Told by Water".....which I heartily recommend, what a beautiful collection!....and he mentions and quotes Sherman Alexie at various points in the book, since the two of them are good friends. One of the essays toward the book's end is Duncan & Alexie in a fabulous & moving dream Duncan had. (Sounds corny; isn't at all) I've been meaning to read "Diary of a Part Time Indian" for awhile, so that is also going on my list! :thumbup

We do have a reading thread, by the way.....look here:

http://forums.viachicago.org/index.php?showtopic=38243

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled discussion of the demise of Harp and No Depression. ;)

• 4 months later...