The Riviera Theater, Chicago, IL 02/19/08

Still, can't complain, the tapers are doing a ridiculously great job of getting the goods out there. :worship I am amazed how fast these shows are showing up! They will show up on etree eventually...

They sure are! Thank you tapers!!!

I have to say that Monday's my favorite night so far (I also saw Fri and tonight). I loved how A.M. oriented it was!!!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

can't see all of the remaining songs being played... the a.m. tracks, less than you think, pieholden suite, and the missing songs from MA 1 are shoe in's... but i can't see them busting out blood, jd, or feed of man... or the YHF demo tracks.

how about 3 new songs penciled in the middle?

closing the shows with the drone?

Maybe lacking the guests of the last couple nights (I went the only nights without Andrew Bird :( )

but the band was definitely on tonight, one of the better played wilco shows ive ever seen...

ADDED LOTS OF PICTURES!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joshuamellin/...57603920958931/

sorry if i was blocking your view

but sidenote: I was around a bunch of VCers who didnt seem into the show whatsoever and a couple of them that were fighting/distracting the entire show... whats up VC? lets represent a little better.

also, only one outtake so far in 4 nights, Cars Can't Escape. seems like they shouldn't have promised that, since they're not holding up to it. hopefully tomorrow night has some.

when did they promise this?

but sidenote: I was around a bunch of VCers who didnt seem into the show whatsoever and a couple of them that were fighting/distracting the entire show... whats up VC? lets represent a little better.

what VCers would you be speaking of? I had quite the opposite experience?

I just had a rough day going into this thing and I think I just wasn't into it as much as the past three shows. It was still good, I just wasn't that into the songs they chose for tonight for whatever reason. However, I was diggin' the Summerteeth and, as mentioned already, to hear Hotel Arizona again was excellent.

To add to my misery, they did Spiders again, something I was praying I'd only hear once over the 5 nights. I am so damn sick of that song, live or otherwise. I'd take Tweedy playing it solo over the full band any day of the freakin' week. Also, is it totally necessary to play Hate It Here every night?

Hopefully tomorrow provides the perfect closer. By my count though, there are only a select handful of proper album songs not played yet and none really enthuse me at all with the exception of "Pieholden Suite." I'm really hoping they bust out a couple other b-sides, such as "The Good Part."

And if I may pose a question: why the hell aren't they playing "The Thanks I Get" every night? I'm hoping the rest of you folks waiting for your hometown Wilco fix will get to hear it played live. They're willing to let it be used in commercials and to play it on Conan prior to SBS's release and now we never hear it. Keep that one rolling, boys.

I just had a rough day going into this thing and I think I just wasn't into it as much as the past three shows. It was still good, I just wasn't that into the songs they chose for tonight for whatever reason. However, I was diggin' the Summerteeth and, as mentioned already, to hear Hotel Arizona again was excellent.

To add to my misery, they did Spiders again, something I was praying I'd only hear once over the 5 nights. I am so damn sick of that song, live or otherwise. I'd take Tweedy playing it solo over the full band any day of the freakin' week. Also, is it totally necessary to play Hate It Here every night?

Hopefully tomorrow provides the perfect closer. By my count though, there are only a select handful of proper album songs not played yet and none really enthuse me at all with the exception of "Pieholden Suite." I'm really hoping they bust out a couple other b-sides, such as "The Good Part."

And if I may pose a question: why the hell aren't they playing "The Thanks I Get" every night? I'm hoping the rest of you folks waiting for your hometown Wilco fix will get to hear it played live. They're willing to let it be used in commercials and to play it on Conan prior to SBS's release and now we never hear it. Keep that one rolling, boys.

Sorry about tonight, and hopefully tomorrow night is better for you!

After all, it is Wilco, and tonight couldn't have been THAT bad if they were in the mix, right?

Enjoy tomorrow though. Some of us only got to go to one night, so you are part of the lucky ones.

i never truly appreciated what jeff brings to the table with what i would call experimental alt-country. i never appreciated the depth and complexity of being there until i saw it in person.

my highlight was jeff hitting the high notes at the end of "you don't see me now, you don't want to ANNNN-NNNNYYYY-HOOOWWWW!"

hotel arizona is an amazing song. wow. hearing outta mind (outtasight) to start the show made my night right there, it was all gravy from then on.

god i hate the riv.

jeff continues to set the bar for indie musical brilliance and this residency experiment with the song catalog is a great example. jeff leads, everyone else follows.

god bless chicago and the blackhawks.

nope. go back and listen to it ;)

Jeff specificially set the ground rule as the only all encompassing things were the studio albums with a sprinkling of b-sides, mermaid, etc.

i know, i was there. a "sprinkling" of b-sides, etc, isn't 1. i was just looking forward to some more rarities in place of repeats. but i really can't complain, shows have been amazing :thumbup

yes i thought Tuesday show was great!!! was near the top of the balcony this time and i really enjoyed, i know some people rip the Riv but i have no qualms with it.

Highlights: Is That The Thanks I Get, In The Future Age(full band version kicks ass), I Must Be High, Summerteeth, Kingpin

Band was tight and have lots of fun.

My Winter Residency is over, 3 of 5 nights was awesome, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Thanks WILCO for great shows, great performances, Thanks Riviera for a home for 3 nights, and thanks Chicago for being close to Milwaukee.

i know, i was there. a "sprinkling" of b-sides, etc, isn't 1. i was just looking forward to some more rarities in place of repeats. but i really can't complain, shows have been amazing :thumbup

Wouldn't "When the Roses Bloom Again" and "A Magazine Called Sunset" both fit the category of songs you're looking for? Also, "The Thanks I Get," since it's bonus material from SBS?

I agree. And with the horns it takes it to another level.

One of my more favorite of the "SBS" songs. Yes I realize that it is not on the actual album but I still lump it in the same category.

If I may ask a question ---

What is more important? What songs they play or how they play them?

The reason it comes up is I thought Jon and Nels were really ON last night and they could have played anything and it would be great. Songs that normally don't really move me (Walken) I thought we especially good last night -- maybe it was the great sound fomr the FM feed. I have listened to last Friday's show on tape and I don't feel the same intensity level is there. Have yet to listen to Saturday so I am not sure, but what I heard from last night was great.

When it comes to live shows I am more concerned about how well they are playing that night, not neccessarily which songs.

Mind you I was not at any of these shows , just basing my opinion on what I have heard on tape/webcast.

Nothing at all but LOVE for this band, this man called Tweedy, this city and XRT! I can't say enough about these shows. I got to see Saturday and Monday too - and Each one was amazing for various reasons. The highlights last night for me were:

Must Be High, Company in My Back, War on War, Thanks I Get. Hotel AZ, Someday Soon and California Stars.

Even Spiders was inspired beyond anything I've seen. I got a poster last night and it will be prominently displayed in my pad as a reminder of this wonderful Wilco residency in the lovely city of Chicago!

Whoever was that said this is like seeing Ali in his prime is right. :thumbup

I hope everyone has BLAST tonight !! Pieholden Suite -- oh yeah!

fyi, you've got the opener and closer switched ;)

alright, all that's left now is:

if they keep up with unplayed songs like they have, tomorrow night is going to be unreleased and b-side heavy. :) i mean, they've only got 5 left off Wilco LP's.

Wow this night is going to be uneven.. I mean, they are all great songs..but a lot of mellow ones.