recommend some good podcasts...

Another vote for This American Life (which is the only one I never miss) but I also like Radiolab.

Yes and yes. Love This American Life (great sub-topic idea: favorite episodes).

Also would like to include the Ricky Gervais "Guide to..." Podcast series. Oh man, too good.

I also enjoy "NPR: This I Believe" and "New Yorker: Fiction" podcasts.

I'm going to try out the Hardcore History podcast. Thanks for the tip.

I have been loving the hell out of the Hardcore History series on the fall of the Roman Republic - thanks for the recommend!

Yeah looking forward to the next episode when Gaius julius ceasar tears the roman empire a new one!

Sulla was a big dummy for letting him live.

Also would like to include the Ricky Gervais "Guide to..." Podcast series. Oh man, too good.

I was going to say this. I absolutely love Karl Pilkington, and hearing Ricky Gervais laugh at him is just so infectious. I was watching the tv show of it the other day, and when Karl starts talking about how he'd been approached by people to see - now he's famous - whether he'd got any good ideas for films. They ask him if he'd got any actors in mind, and what ideas he had. He says he's got an for a film and he had Clive 'Warren' in mind for the male lead. :lol And he means Clive Owen. Then he says the female role, and he's got Rebecca De Mornay in mind! That probably doesn't sound as funny as it should, if people haven't heard the podcasts or seen the tv show it is so so good.

Also, a fake podcast for people who like Alan Partridge:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucrpgmJxx0E

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine (from Wheeling) just turned me on to that show.

Is the format for The Best Show on WFMU always the same? I have been listening to one and host has been talking a LOT, interspersed with calls from apparent social misfits.

and later....

I was going to say this. I absolutely love Karl Pilkington, and hearing Ricky Gervais laugh at him is just so infectious.

The Gervais podcasts are laugh-out-loud funny - which may be a problem in public. I think some people thought I was crazy.

Also enjoying The Nerdists. Thanks for the heads-up.

• 3 months later...

Just finished that mammoth 5 hour Hardcore History episode Death Throes of the Republic VI. Geez what I bunch of wankers those Romans were no wonder it all turned to shit for them. Interesting times B.C.

Otros podcasts I've been listening to;

99% invisible , design & architecture one.

Fitzdog Radio , Greg Fitzimmons pretty funny.

For Those About To Rock , Only listened to one episode about Therapy?s Troublegum album kinda fun.

Doug Loves Movies , I'm not really a movie buff but he has good guests.

What is a podcast?

Its a recorded program that can be listened to on your computer or downloaded into iTunes and listened to on your iPod or other Mp3 player.

LouieB

• 2 weeks later...

Sound Opinions and This American Life are definitely at the top of my list.

I do enjoy Wait Wait and Car Talk.

The Moth Podcast is also a pretty cool podcast, although a bit short.

i'm taking break from sound opinions. there's only so much jim derogotis one can take.

who charted? is a new podcast i'm really digging. comedian howard kremer and guests make fun of music and movie charts. nice mellow vibe and compelling.

i'm taking break from sound opinions. there's only so much jim derogotis one can take.

who charted? is a new podcast i'm really digging. comedian howard kremer and guests make fun of music and movie charts. nice mellow vibe and compelling.

Most of the time, I don't pay much attention to Jim because I've found a long time ago that I can't trust his judgement in music anymore. Granted, I have some musical skeletons in my closet, but I would never force them upon an unsuspecting public.

For those who love This American Life, there's a great app where you can listen to shows all the way back to the show's creation in 1995.

Most of the time, I don't pay much attention to Jim because I've found a long time ago that I can't trust his judgement in music anymore. Granted, I have some musical skeletons in my closet, but I would never force them upon an unsuspecting public.

For those who love This American Life, there's a great app where you can listen to shows all the way back to the show's creation in 1995.

yeah, jim is a character and i was just listening to him has such. however, when he started dissing clarence after he died...well... that's enough. it's interesting, he's a professional jerk. greg kot is not far behind given his wilco book. these guys always have to says something to get a rise though. here i am rising:)

Yeah I've just been listening to the this too. The Marc Maron and Zach Galifianakis ones. This Howard guy is funny...also checked out the sklarbro county podcast which is fun too although the American sports are confusing to me.

Yeah I've just been listening to the this too. The Marc Maron and Zach Galifianakis ones. This Howard guy is funny...also checked out the sklarbro county podcast which is fun too although the American sports are confusing to me.

yeah, i love howard kremer. so dry.

unfettered mind is buddhist podcast. are you buddhist? just curious.

Not as a religion, but in the philosophical sense, very much so. Mindfulness, recognizing the moment rather than dwelling on the past or worrying about the future, letting go, seeing life lessons in little things, etc. resonate with me deeply. Meditation is another matter--self-diagnosed ADD and "monkey mind" aren't too keen on it! :P ;)

I like this a lot:

http://www.shambhalasun.com/

• 3 months later...

Been listening to Rick Steves-Travel with Rick Steves who does a enjoyable podcast with interviews from people around the world.

Interesting episodes:

Running a Summer Crepe Stand in France; Washington DC Insider; National Parks in the USA,

Building the Berlin Wall; The Mongol Rally; The Darwinian Tourist

Off the Grid in Mexico; Baltic Cities; Paul Theroux's Dark Star Safari

Be careful it will make you want to travel.