The Riviera Theater, Chicago, IL 02/20/08

I can't tell you how long I've been waiting to hear "Less Than You Think" and it totally blew me away. Fucking AMAZING song. What a show - what a residency. Can't say enough good things about it!!! I'll definitely be on a high for a few days.

Subtle highlight of the night: Tweedy apologizing for having to play "I Thought I Held You" and calling it "Total Dogshit - one of the worst songs ever."

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

great show. no surprises sans Blood of the Lamb and Just a Kid, but still a really solid show. a bit sad they only added 8 new songs on the final night, 5 of which were mandatory, but still i loved it. probably the best setlist of all, but i still think Monday was my favorite to be at.

Great show. some guy in front of me screamed like a girl at the end of 'i thought i held you.' 'blood of the lamb' was a highlight for me. I was surprised that 'another man done gone' wasn't played since it was done a couple years (?) back at the aud shows. i was reeeeeeally hoping for feed of man, unwelcome guest, venus among others but what we got was truly awesome. This was such a memorable and all around wonderful experience. i'm really thankful i got to go to all of these (save for tuesday, when i had a fever) and was really amazed at all the hard work they put into these shows.

fyi, save your money. jeff said they'll be back next year to play all the other stuff they didn't play :)

Nels was in red pants. John was jumping off speakers. Pat came out to make a name for himself. And Jeff was happier then a pig in mud. (He might ask if that means he was happy. Yes it does) The band loved every minute of these 5 nights. I loved every minute during, before, and between these 5 shows. It was the coolest thing a band could do for their fans. I view so many songs differently because I now have a mental picture of every single one of their songs played live. If it was even possible, I got closer to their amazing music. And now have a lifetime of memories. Or at least a years worth because Jeff said they would do this again next year.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Is there a harder working band than Wilco right now? Is there a band with more love for their fans than Wilco? They treat us right, oh, they do. Streaming their albums, giving us free downloads, and then doing shows like this and making them available to listen to. One of the coolest things I've ever heard a band do (not to mention the fucking Living Room Shows, which are bar none the coolest things ever). They deserve something a little more eloquent (and as a writer, I should be able to provide it,), but, alas, no such luck. Instead, I just want to extend my heart felt thanks to the band if they read this, and let them know that I speak for all of their fans when I say "Thank you."

And I mean, is there a better way to end the residency than "Dreamer In My" Fucking "Dreams"?

Give these guys a hand, please.

And, in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

One of the best weeks of my life, and I can't believe it's over. It's going to feel so weird going back to work!

I just want to say thanks to the people I stood in line with and hung out with in the crowd (please forgive me if I get names wrong): Mary and Kevin, and Anne-Marie and Pat. It was a pleasure.

The best show by the best band, I swear. Everything about this show was absolutely amazing. I didn't go to Saturday or Monday, so it was great to see Andrew Bird and hear John sing [which was awesome; he was tearing up at the end of the song]. The stretch between Can't Stand It and I'm a Wheel in the second half was just non-stop incredible. And, whatever you might think about the song, just watching Less Than You Think was outstanding. I have nothing bad to say about tonight, and there are plenty more accolades to pour on that may sound hyperbolic but actually aren't. I'll probably post some less-than-stellar pictures sometime tonight or tomorrow.

Here are a few from the final night. First is John singing, second is Jeff singing during I'm a Wheel, and the last one is during Less Than You Think.

Thank for the pics (and to all the other photo-posters, too).

I don't know which is more fun to see, John singing, or Jeff on bass.

rcb

The Middle 8

Last entry: The Ain't 8.

I can't tell you how long I've been waiting to hear "Less Than You Think" and it totally blew me away. Fucking AMAZING song. What a show - what a residency. Can't say enough good things about it!!! I'll definitely be on a high for a few days.

Subtle highlight of the night: Tweedy apologizing for having to play "I Thought I Held You" and calling it "Total Dogshit - one of the worst songs ever."

yep, and shaking his head like "what was I thinking" when he sang the lyrics, "i'm like a songwriter . . . run out of metaphors"

The macrame Obama owl:

2280806469_35855229fb_b.jpg

MACRAME IS BACK!!! I was sitting next to a friend who's just out of college and she had no idea why I freaked when I saw that owl. I remember macrame being big when I was a kid in the 70s. These guys are bringin' it back, old school.

yep, and shaking his head like "what was I thinking" when he sang the lyrics, "i'm like a songwriter . . . run out of metaphors"

Aw, that's always been one of my favorite Wilco moments. So cheesy, but for some reason I like it. Don't retire it forever, Jeff. :thumbup

I agree. One of the best weeks of my life for sure. Luckily I didn't feel like absolute hell until this morning, but all the germs and lack of sleep finally caught up to me.

Although..... they closed with Dreamer in my Dreams, and I got to basically hear the soundtrack of my life for the past 12 years -live and in it's entirety. So that makes the puss on my tonsils only a minor annoyance.

Dear Fat Dude From Superbad:

Thank you for choosing to sit in front of me last night. Your over-zealous rocking out made me think I was at a Quiet Riot show, circa 1981. The way you used your seat as a rocking chair really showed how much you can jam. As someone who has attended numerous Wilco shows, I can attest to the extent your flailing arms and finger pointing (mimicking a drummer playing the bass line) helped the band power through the performance. And the scratching of your dandruff into my beer helped take my concert experience to a new level.

When you screeched like a girl for some of the quiet numbers, it really exposed your sensitive side. And while you (literally) rocked out to the remainder of the song, I didn't mind dodging the stabbing movements of your setlist-taking pen. Your dedication to rock reporting had you not only write down the setlist in a notepad, but to also type it into your PDA. What really made that rock is how you had to lean back to reach into your pants to retrieve the PDA after each song started. If you had a mouth in the back of your neck, you could have given me oral. I would be proud to receive oral from somebody that rocks as hard as you.

Thank you, Mr. Fat Dude, for also regaling us with *real* rock fashion. Your tshirt proved to me that you are a big fan of The Hold Steady. The way it rode up your back revealing your sweaty ass crack, though, proved you're not a fan of the Hold Steady treadmills.

Despite my shin bruises, stab wounds, and blue balls, I really appreciate how hard you jam.

Thanks, again,

Walrus