there's a couple of threads from ages ago somewhere on here that might have some more info for you, but here are my recommendations:

HatchShow Print! It's a letterpress poster shop. On Broadway amidst the Honky Tonks. Definitely worth checking out. There's also the Frist Center for the Visual Arts, which is a nice art museum. Definitely check out the Honky Tonks, Robert's was my personal favorite.

As for eats, if you can find your way there, Swetts on 28th St N (which nowhere near downtown) is the best meat and 3 around! also there's the Pancake Pantry in Hillsborough Village (again not near downtown).

We're staying a few blocks from the Ryman, too. I'm planning to park my truck on Saturday and not move it until I go home on Monday. Our hotel is also a few blocks from the Country Music Hall of Fame and the Hatch Show Print.

I did a little bit of food research this weekend. My husband's voted for Rae's Sandwich Shop and Jack's Barbeque. Jack's is Ryman-adjacent, so we'll probably go there before the show.

I haven't researched book and music stores yet, but I know where the yarn shops are. :) The last issue of Bust Magazine had a great article had a great article about cool stuff to do in Nashville. I meant to save it, but I think it accidentally went in the recycling bin. I just emailed a friend who might still have her copy. If so, I'll pass along any good info.

We're staying a few blocks from the Ryman, too. I'm planning to park my truck on Saturday and not move it until I go home on Monday. Our hotel is also a few blocks from the Country Music Hall of Fame and the Hatch Show Print.

I did a little bit of food research this weekend. My husband's voted for Rae's Sandwich Shop and Jack's Barbeque. Jack's is Ryman-adjacent, so we'll probably go there before the show.

I haven't researched book and music stores yet, but I know where the yarn shops are. :) The last issue of Bust Magazine had a great article had a great article about cool stuff to do in Nashville. I meant to save it, but I think it accidentally went in the recycling bin. I just emailed a friend who might still have her copy. If so, I'll pass along any good info.

thanks!

hi, there-

i'll be heading to nashville this weekend for the ryman show and was hoping to get some recommendations for things to do while there: places to eat? bookstores? record stores? sights not to miss? anything would be appreciated.

p.s. i'm staying downtown not too far from the ryman and don't think i will have a car.

Well.....In Nashville you kind of need a vehicle. Right smack dab in downtown there is tons of "touristy" stuff but if you are looking for book stores record stores your kind of out of luck without a car. Up around the Vanderbilt area there are some cool places but it's probably too far to walk ( I'd say it's at least 2 miles from downtown to the WestEnd -Vandy area). Cabs are an expensive option in Nashville, and it's not like other bigger cities you have to call for them, you can't hail them on the street. There are lots of places to eat in the downtown area so thats a plus. Again realize you will be exposed to the more tourist oriented stuff downtown....the cool out of the way stuff are in other parts of town....when you get in look for a copy of The Scene (our local "alternative" paper. They will have lots of listings for stuff to do) One thing I know thats going on over this weekend is an exhibit at The Frist Center (museum) of modern masters called From Monet to Dali. The Frist is located at 919 Broadway which is walkable from downtown (Broadway is the main North South road in the DT area) www.fristcenter.org

The one place we didn't get to hit that we wanted to last time we were in Nashville was the Loveless Cafe... ooh, I'm DYING for some biscuits!!!

http://www.lovelesscafe.com/

edit: oh shoot, Monell's Dining & Catering was FANTASTIC. Family-style southern soul food, and considering the wonderful decor, it was DIRT CHEAP!!!!! We got to take Josh out for dinner as thanks for showing us his town (oh yeah we took him to see Patty Griffin at the Ryman too).

My friend gave me her issue of Bust with the Nashville article today!

Grimey's Record Shop at 1604 8th St. South looks interesting.

Music-wise, I think I'm going to check out Layla's Bluegrass Inn (418 Broadway) and Tootsie's Orchid Lounge (422 Broadway).

East Nashville looks to be the arty party of town. Darkstar, is that near Vandy? Family Wash (2038 Greenwood Ave.) looks interesting. It's an old laundromat that's been turned into a restaurant and bar.

They've got a roller derby team! Unfortunately, they don't have a bout scheduled this weekend.

Looks like there's lots of art galleries downtown.

12 West district for indie shopping. I want to check out Katy K's Designs, just for the awesome cowgirl sign out front.

I'm really excited about this weekend, not just for the show. I've been to Nashville once, but it was a brief visit. I was passing through and did a quick tour and dinner with a friend who was at Vandy. I'm really looking forward to having some time to explore the city.

If you check out the Bluegrass and Tootsie's, pop into Roberts Western World for a spell too... just as raucous.

That's on my list, too. I just listed my top two picks. :thumbup Thanks for the tip. We'll definitely check them out, too.

My friend gave me her issue of Bust with the Nashville article today!

Grimey's Record Shop at 1604 8th St. South looks interesting.

Music-wise, I think I'm going to check out Layla's Bluegrass Inn (418 Broadway) and Tootsie's Orchid Lounge (422 Broadway).

East Nashville looks to be the arty party of town. Darkstar, is that near Vandy? Family Wash (2038 Greenwood Ave.) looks interesting. It's an old laundromat that's been turned into a restaurant and bar.

They've got a roller derby team! Unfortunately, they don't have a bout scheduled this weekend.

Looks like there's lots of art galleries downtown.

12 West district for indie shopping. I want to check out Katy K's Designs, just for the awesome cowgirl sign out front.

I'm really excited about this weekend, not just for the show. I've been to Nashville once, but it was a brief visit. I was passing through and did a quick tour and dinner with a friend who was at Vandy. I'm really looking forward to having some time to explore the city.

Hey Poppy...sorry East Nashville isn't the Vandy part of Town. East Nashville is on the other side of the river (Cumberland) it's too far to walk, and even if it wasn't there are many dicey areas there. If you are driving in and have a car it's an easy enough drive over there...you can get directions from the mapquest or whatever. Like I said there are some kind of dicey areas in East Nashville, it's not like Beirut or anything but just be as cautious as you would be in any city. The parts of East Nashville where the bars and stuff are is fine...you just gotta go through the dicey parts to get there. Nashville can be a bit confusing if you are not used to it driving around so invest in printing out some maps before you head out. If any of you that are coming in would feel better to have a local available for questions or directions PM me and I'll be happy to give you my cell number to keep handy. No I won't come and bail you out at 3 in the morning, but I will gladly tell you how to get somewhere or where a good place to eat is. I'll make sure to check for any PMs throughout the weekend. I hope everyone has a great time in Nashville this weekend. I'll be up in the balcony in Section F myself....... Oh yeah....not that anyone would, but be careful if you drink...Nashville cops are really into DUI enforcement especially during the weekends.

There are some great suggestions here. I highly recommend Loveless Cafe or Pancake Pantry (a bit overrated) for breakfast. But again, you need wheels. Most visitors like the Hillsboro Village area. There's a great used bookstore down there. Eating around Vandy is affordable. Ken's Sushi or Gnoshville is great for lunch. There is also a solid used record / CD shop near Ken's and Gnosh on Broadway and 21st. I guess I'm a bit burned out from the Vandy area since I teach/study there. San Antonio Taco Co. (or SatCo) is a favorite, but it's nothing to write home about.

Hey Poppy...sorry East Nashville isn't the Vandy part of Town. East Nashville is on the other side of the river (Cumberland) it's too far to walk, and even if it wasn't there are many dicey areas there. If you are driving in and have a car it's an easy enough drive over there...you can get directions from the mapquest or whatever. Like I said there are some kind of dicey areas in East Nashville, it's not like Beirut or anything but just be as cautious as you would be in any city.

Thanks for the head's up. It's been over a decade since I've been to Nashville. We're driving. Even though I say I'd like to park the truck and not get in it until time to go home, I know we'll be running around, so it's no biggie.

I live about five miles from downtown East St. Louis. I do okay with dicey parts of town. :thumbup

I'll be up in the balcony in Section F myself.......

We're in the balcony, too. Can't remember what section, but it's on the John and Pat side.

My husband wants to know where he might find a good, interesting guitar shop.

Thanks for the head's up. It's been over a decade since I've been to Nashville. We're driving. Even though I say I'd like to park the truck and not get in it until time to go home, I know we'll be running around, so it's no biggie.

I live about five miles from downtown East St. Louis. I do okay with dicey parts of town. :thumbup

We're in the balcony, too. Can't remember what section, but it's on the John and Pat side.

My husband wants to know where he might find a good, interesting guitar shop.

Gruhn's , 400 Broadway...kind of right around the corner from the Ryman link to gruhns Seriously nice stuff...you may wanna leave the credit cards at home if you go to this place. They have all sorts of rare and vintage stuff. They usually have a bunch of stuff previously owned by various stars, etc.

Gruhn's , 400 Broadway...kind of right around the corner from the Ryman link to gruhns Seriously nice stuff...you may wanna leave the credit cards at home if you go to this place. They have all sorts of rare and vintage stuff. They usually have a bunch of stuff previously owned by various stars, etc.

I've heard of Gruhn's and had wondered how it was. Brian will love that. Thanks!