It was kinda breathtaking actually but then I feel that way about Nels' playing pretty often.

Nels :wub

What I gathered is that the older woman (who was dancing quite feverishly) was probably bumping into the younger one quite a bit and she got ticked off.

If that is in fact what they were arguing about, then I have to laugh. I was standing right next to the younger (drunk) woman, and she had been invading my space all night. :lol

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

did anyone notice Nels go a little batshit during one of the first songs to rock out. he wa splaying his slide & I think he cut his finger or caught it soemhow because he spun around & flung his slide into the crowd and then was shaking his finger like it was hurt. at the end of the song Jeff asked him if he was ok & got the person to pass the slide back up and Nels apologized to whoever it hit

did anyone notice Nels go a little batshit during one of the first songs to rock out. he wa splaying his slide & I think he cut his finger or caught it soemhow because he spun around & flung his slide into the crowd and then was shaking his finger like it was hurt. at the end of the song Jeff asked him if he was ok & got the person to pass the slide back up and Nels apologized to whoever it hit

she just gave it back, they didnt ask her I dont think. She was right next to me. I probably would've kept it :shifty

wilco at the warner is definantly something I could get into, of course id prefer 930, but the warner is classy.

i don't know anything about the warner (venue), but i agree that the warner (taper) is classy. :lol

and apropos of nothing, i was thinking that whoever got hit by nels' slide last night ought to get a signed pick or something. i remember reading a couple recent articles about fans getting hit by golf balls driven by tiger woods and how he went over to them apologized and signed a glove for them. who knew that going to wilco shows could be hazardous? :hmm

I'm RedVelvet and it was me that Tweedy was asking about! Is DC just a particularly stiff crowd? I've been to many concerts all over the country and have never been met with so many questions or odd stares! There's no big secret...I enjoy concerts and making people smile...but the DC crowd seemed a little weirded out.

I was standing next to the two women who were arguing -- the younger woman pushed her way to the front and it didn't sit well with the older woman. There was also a very annoying woman standing behind us who talked quite loudly throughout the show. She kept shouting out "we love you!" and requesting "Via Chicago". When they finally played it, she sang what I guess she thought were the lyrics, then proceeded to talk for the rest of the song.

And to itstillmoves84, we've never met...I just arrived in DC.

I saw Ryan Adams and the Cardinals there back in october and honestly it was probably the best sound I have ever heard at a concert in my life. I've been there before and its been shit, but if the sound is done right, it can be blissful. You could hear ever fucking note at that show.
I thought that was the worst show ever. I actually have only been listening to Whiskeytown since, I thought that show was so bad.
Bbop has a picture of Nels with the shiny brand new (I mean really new, there was not so much as a fingerprint on it) double-necked guitar, and he'll post it shortly. Besides bringing a little Van Halenesque je ne sais quoi, it really sounded beautiful. It was kinda breathtaking actually but then I feel that way about Nels' playing pretty often.

Better late than never...

2299240471_755ac73f50.jpg

2299239281_0bdc53dcf1.jpg

[snip]

Last night's set list was certainly a good one, but I was down front on one side, directly in front of Pat, about 10 feet from the stage, and I thought the sound was overly bass-heavy and generally a bit muddy. I assume it was better in the middle of the venue. Loved the energy of the up-tempo numbers, even though I couldn't hear the words.

[snip]

This was my first Wilco show and it was a GREAT ONE. However, I have to agree with this statement about the sound. I was over on Nels' side, about 15 or 20 feet back. The sound was thick and muddy, which I have to say kept me from achieving total bliss.

It got very crowded around me just before Wilco came on, lots of folks elbowed through who hadn't gotten there early like the rest of us. But that's been the norm at any concert I've ever been to (over a hundred, probably). Nothing that took away from my enjoyment of the night.

Just another picky . . .

Lee

My brother and sister-in-law were further back, I think near the middle (I don't know the 9:30 layout), and they said the sound was fantastic ... so I guess it depends where you were, as it often does.

I thought that was the worst show ever. I actually have only been listening to Whiskeytown since, I thought that show was so bad.

Is there a specific reason as to why? I mean really? Worst show ever? I've been to hundreds of shows and like I said, the sound was superb, the band was really on, the vocal and musical interplay between Ryan and Neal Cassal was unreal. Did you not like the song choice? Or are you just a Ryan Adams hater? I don't seen how any fan of the Cardinals or Adams music could call that "worst show ever."

I wasn't at the show, but I did listen to the NPR stream. It sounded like they were broadcasting a B-/C+ grade audience recording.

Agreed, thought the sound was good for Sunken Treasure but then gets worse.

The stereo version of the WXRT broadcast from night 4 of the Riviera Theatre residency is the best quality recording available I reckon. It's up on etree.

The stereo version of the WXRT broadcast from night 4 of the Riviera Theatre residency is the best quality recording available I reckon.

It may well be, but don't let that prevent you from acquiring the audience recordings from all five nights. The ones I've heard (multiple versions for most nights) are all very good.

It may well be, but don't let that prevent you from acquiring the audience recordings from all five nights. The ones I've heard (multiple versions for most nights) are all very good.

yep

Not disagreeing with that at all.

I have torrents of all the nights and theyre all good. However 'professional' recordings tend to have the edge given the access they have.

Would love to get hold of the webcast from the final night - listened to some of it live here in the UK middle of the night and it sounded fantastic. I know its compressed and all that but if there's one thing that the soundboard/webcast recordings have that the audience ones don't it's the 'closeness' of the recording. The vocal in particular on the aud reordings is that litle bit more 'distant' for obvious reasons. But don't get me wrong they are still very nice work and a great effort from everyone in getting them up.