I was standing all the way in the back against the soundboard wall and I thought the sound was fairly bad, too. I think the room just had bad acoustics. Then again, it also seemed like some of the speakers were "farting out" when given a lot of bass. Damn good show, though. Does anyone know of a way to capture the NPR stream without recording directly from the soundcard?

Greg

www.GETdownSOULS.com

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure NPR will put out a podcast of the concert soon, where people could download the thing in mp3 format.

I distinctly remember hearing the NPR announcer saying that they would NOT be making this available as a podcast, but that it would be available for streaming. Not forever, though. Just for the foreseeable future.

kevin

Long time watcher, 1st time poster....

Saw the show at the Tower Theatre in Philly....unreal.

Saw the show at the 9:30 Club nite Two.....Best show I have ever seen!!!

I am a musician who has multiple credits on many tv shows/soundtracks and I am a high school music teacher (band director)

We are watching part of music history!! I am so glad to be part of it!!

I distinctly remember hearing the NPR announcer saying that they would NOT be making this available as a podcast, but that it would be available for streaming. Not forever, though. Just for the foreseeable future.

kevin

Damn. To anyone who's heard all the audience recordings and the broadcast (I haven't heard any yet): am I correct in thinking that the radio broadcast is the best-sounding version?

Greg

www.GETdownSOULS.com

Saw both nights in DC (and the New Haven show as well)

I really enjoyed night one a lot more than than night two. The sound and the mix were considerably better - and the overall looseness of the show made it, well, more fun and a way better listen. I agree with others that the sound on night two was muddy which I found very distracting. There is really no excuse for bad sound in the 9:30 Club...

Anyway - it was lots of fun...as always. I still have one more to attend - Des Moines - hoping for a residency-like tour closer.

Damn. To anyone who's heard all the audience recordings and the broadcast (I haven't heard any yet): am I correct in thinking that the radio broadcast is the best-sounding version?

Greg

www.GETdownSOULS.com

Yes I'd say without a doubt the FM stereo version on etree (bt.etree.org) of the fourth night of the residency sounds best. Note there's also a mono version up there which is not as good.

But that's not saying it was necessarily the best show. Night 3 on the Monday was great as was night 2 but these are audience recordings (still very good but not quite as dynamic)

Greg

www.GETdownSOULS.com

Sorry, thought you were referring to Chicago shows. The NPR show is not that great I don't think, so the audience stuff may well be better.

was there for both nites at 9:30 club, nite one was better than nite 2, imo, I was in the same spot for both shows, upstairs, directly in front of the stage...the horns were way down in the mix on nite 2 as compared to nite 1...had a fucking blast both nites, and ended up getting guest listed for nite 2 as I had no tickets, and a friend that is in the business made some calls and was in town on a nite off from Bon Jovi tour...yes I know bon jovi, but EVERYONE knows who bon jovi is, and it worked in our favor...

after both nites I want to go on tour...fuck the job, kiss the wife and kids goodbye, and see some great shows...for those that are going to shows going forward, you have no idea how your mind will be blown...I can't believe this short into the tour that these guys are this in tune with each other, and Nels gives a whole other dimension to this band.

enjoy the show...

was there for both nites at 9:30 club, nite one was better than nite 2, imo, I was in the same spot for both shows, upstairs, directly in front of the stage...the horns were way down in the mix on nite 2 as compared to nite 1...had a fucking blast both nites, and ended up getting guest listed for nite 2 as I had no tickets, and a friend that is in the business made some calls and was in town on a nite off from Bon Jovi tour...yes I know bon jovi, but EVERYONE knows who bon jovi is, and it worked in our favor...

after both nites I want to go on tour...fuck the job, kiss the wife and kids goodbye, and see some great shows...for those that are going to shows going forward, you have no idea how your mind will be blown...I can't believe this short into the tour that these guys are this in tune with each other, and Nels gives a whole other dimension to this band.

enjoy the show...

I was on the right hand side night one, and just a bit to the left of tweedy for night two, and I noticed a considerable difference in the horns. I thought it was just my spot but I guess it was the mix.

Otherwise agree with what you said, for those going to shows enjoy!

I was on the right hand side night one, and just a bit to the left of tweedy for night two, and I noticed a considerable difference in the horns. I thought it was just my spot but I guess it was the mix.

Otherwise agree with what you said, for those going to shows enjoy!

listened to nite 1, the aud recording is awesome, good lord what a great band...summer tour?

if anyone wants it, here's the John Doe set as well:

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=513761

John Doe

February 27, 2008

9:30 Club

Washington DC

**16 bit source**

Source: B&K4022(ortf)>Sonosax>744T

Transfer: 744T>cd wave>wavelab(fades/resample/UV22)>flac

Taped & transferred by Craig Davis

One Set/One Disc:

01 This Far