Talk about a grower

I really couldn't get into it at all. I mean boooooring. Then I go to night one of the residency and download the rest of the residency and man do those songs slay live. Now I can listen to the album and totally appreciate it.

I'm not huge on individual musicians in bands but my god is Nels amazing. The guy really is my favorite guitarist to watch in the whole world. The guy is so talented and just has mad skills. The way he can intensely bring things to a rise just gives me the damn tingles. It also appears that Jeff doesn't have any type of leash on Nels and lets him experiment nad jam a bit in songs which is just fucking brilliant@!

Anyway, I just wanted to give huge props to the band, Nels and most importantly the one Wilco album I thought I wasn't going to dig but now have an appreciation for.

I took a break from listening to this band for a bit from shortly after the release of Sky Blue Sky to a month or so before the residency and it's so sweet to come back to so many great songs.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm with you on SBS, faxman ... I didn't love it when it came out, though I thought it was OK. It totally changed for me after hearing a lot of the songs live (both in person and through recordings).

I love this band so much. Hate it here is quckly becoming a favorite. My god Nels has skills. Another, thing. I don't like blues and jazz but this Nels guy totally makes me love his blues/jazz stylings, at least that's what i'm hearing. I hear so much distinction in his playing. I really didn't mean to turn this into a Nels appreciatoin thread but damn he's a badass. Now if only I didn't have to travel to Chicago to see this band every time I wanted to. It's been a couple years since they played in Phoenix right? They played Flagstaff in 2005 but what the hell is the deal with snubbing Arizona for so long? Best show I ever attended I met a couple people from this board actually was the last Tempe, AZ show witch a phenominal opening set by Calexico. The show was completely amazing and the best concert I have seen in years.

Couldn't agree more. First listen......Either Way....ok, nice. You Are My Face.....hmmm, interesting......Nels' David Gilmour fill at 2 minutes in.....WHOA!? What's this. Sit up and pay attention, laddie. Followed soon after by probably 50 complete plays before I wanted to hear any other Wilco.

Whether you think SBS is one of Wilco's better records or not (I do), the songs do play extremely well in concert, and it can't be denied that Nels Cline is a monster addition to the band. You could already hear that on KT too, really. I now think of SBS as a transition album for the band, in part due to Jeff's mellowing out, but also largely due to the addition of Nels as a full contributor. i.e. I believe Nels presence consolidates Wilco's sound and will ultimately focus the band into new directions that couldn't even be contemplated in the pre-Nels era.

:thumbup

welcome to the club SBS is one of Wilcos better records and in many ways it makes their older material(including Ghost and Yankee) obsolete

I wouldent be suprised If two more records in YHF material will become the rarity that Being There is and all the YHF fans will hate the new wilco fans circa 2012 or w.e

I didn't hear SBS at all until it came out--I resisted the urge to listen to the streams or the leaked copies or any of it. The only songs I'd heard were the ones they'd played live the summer before. I instantly loved the album because it just seemed like the exactly right soundtrack for where I was in my life late last spring and summer. Once the summer was over, I really didn't listen to it much until the last few weeks. I spent 8 hours in the car last weekend, and I listened to SBS the whole time and fell in love with it again. I don't understand the haters; this is a seamless album both musically and lyrically, and my favorite after YHF and Being There. I can't wait to hear where they go from here.

Prior to the album coming out I heard Walken at asheville in Oct. 05 and dug it. I heard it again in Jax on 10 March of 06 and liked it even more. Then 4 days later in Tallahassee I heard either way, Walken and The Thanks I Get. Wow! I was seriously pysched for the new album. Then August of 06 at a Tweedy show in Raleigh, I heard What Light. Damn, that was something. Let's Not get Carried Away in Huntsville in Oct. 06 i didn't care for and was happy to see it didn't survive. Tweedy again at the House of blues in NOLA had nothing new but a sweet Radio King and 3 without the PA. I had also heard a few others from boots. So by the time the album came out, i was already in love.

SBS is a strong album, but it only works for me at specific times. In other words I have to be in a certain type mood to really listen to it, enjoy it, and get something from it. Wilco's strongest albums don't work like that for me. I can put on YHF, AGIB, ST, BT at any time and something will always connect.

Because of that, SBS suffers a little by comparison. Not because it is vastly inferior or anything like that, just because it is something I could only listen to on rare occasions. Plus, I find it difficult to get through the second half of the album a lot of times.

oh no I dont mean they are inferior I still beleive that those two records are the artistic highpoints that those group of guys reached

and I love them insanely what I mean is the dimension of this band doese that to those records for example handshakedrugs with

Nels Cline as opposed to the album version or songs like Kamera or Pot Kettle Black now verus then I mean now there a little anit climatic

while back then they were very exciting but yea its good to hear that more people worship those records it makes me feel a little less insane

Oh shit1 I just remembered the acoustic Walken at Tweedy Raleigh. That was something special.

I agree mostly with bleedorange. It's one of those albums (and I've never quite been able to put my finger on it) that I just don't listen to as often as the others. Of course when I first got it, I practically wore it out, but I will always put in Being there or YHF before I would put in SBS. But as far as songs on the album, it's probably Jeff's most brilliant work to date in my opinion. "On and On" is simply a brilliantly written song.. But thats just one of them.. They are all brilliant, but "On and On "just stands out the most to me.

i gained a new appreciation for a few of the tracks finally seeing them live, but overall...it's still what i put on my iPod when i want to take nap. a lot different than when i experieinced the AGIB stuff live...didn't really like the album that much and then it completely clicked on the drive home from the first gig the current lineup played at otto's.